Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2022, 08:14 PM   #1
Steve M

M.O.C. #31611
Exclamation General Inquiry about shore power & Solar Running

We just bought a 373rd 2022 with a 50amp service. We plan on taking lots of trips. I see lots of people talk about a lot of campsites only have 30amp sources, plus I have a 30amp generator.

Scenario: If I plug into 30amp power, can I run both my A/C units coleman mach 15000 btu (1 with a heat pump) on this connection? Will my 400i watt solar charging system kick in and help or will it just all run on shore? Does the batteries help supplement the power the system is not getting from shore? I know the batteries are not hooked to the a/c units. They are connected to my res fridge and 7 outlets. Thanks in advance. I am having trouble finding unique scenarios like these. Trying to get a full understanding of how things work together or not work together.

Steve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:22 PM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Hopefully you will find answers here. There is also a Montana Fifth Wheel Factory Solar Flex group on Facebook. If you have trouble navigating to the page, maybe Ron will jump in and provide you the exact link. Good luck in your travels and enjoy!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:13 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
...Scenario: If I plug into 30amp power, can I run both my A/C units coleman mach 15000 btu (1 with a heat pump) on this connection?...
I believe the new Coleman's come with a Soft Start, so yes you can run both on 30 amp. But you won't be able to run much else on 120V shore power. That means the converter (if you have a stand alone one) has to be Off along with microwave, water heater (run on propane), etc.

Quote:
... Will my 400i watt solar charging system kick in and help or will it just all run on shore?...
Nope, the non-inverted outlets only run on shore power and the inverted outlets will also be using shore power.

Quote:
Does the batteries help supplement the power the system is not getting from shore?....
Once again, Nope. The solar charges batteries at 12V. 120V has to come from shore power or an inverted circuit (which an AC isn't on). But when you do have shore power, the inverter automatically uses that source and not 12V battery.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:19 PM   #4
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Without knowing a lot about your setup I would say your 400w solar will only help with keeping your batteries charged. Both your A/C units might on 30amps but if your battery's are down your converter/charger might kick in and trip you offline. I believe your Fridge runs off the shore power until you disconnect from shore then your inverter with keep it running. Unless you have installed a after market inverter like a 3012 Magnum Hybrid that will load share with shore power then you have limited options.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:06 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I may have misunderstood the sales pitch here but I believe a Victron Multiplus ii will combine shore/Generator, battery and solar inputs to meet demand output.

https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...s/multiplus-ii
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:47 AM   #6
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
In general if you are using a Hybrid inverter your DC system should be capable of load assist. The devil is certainly in the details of the equipment you are using.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:20 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Carl nailed it. While on shore your solar isn't doing anything but assisting in charging batteries. The inverter won't do anything until shore is disconnected. Running both AC units is questionable for long periods. As soon as the convertor/charger kicks on....poof....blown breaker. I believe you're at 29 amp running both AC's.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Lots of people like to stay at older RV parks that are behind the times, but you certainly don't need to follow that scenario. Stay at parks that have 50 amp plug-ins(100amp service) and don't worry about your power needs. But it is good to get an understanding of your rings capabilities. John
Old 09-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #9
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
With all due respect to all posters in the thread if the OP is using a hybrid inverter it will perform load assist. The OP does not indicate if that is what’s in use or not. For example GO Power, Magnum and Victron all make inverter charger models that perform load assist under various marketing terminologies. For Victron users this is a common functionality to run loads exceeding the current limiting settings. 20a mooch docking cord connected, running two AC units and a microwave. The DC system will provide inverted AC power beyond the 20A current limit setting.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:26 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
With all due respect to all posters in the thread if the OP is using a hybrid inverter it will perform load assist. The OP does not indicate if that is what’s in use or not. For example GO Power, Magnum and Victron all make inverter charger models that perform load assist under various marketing terminologies. For Victron users this is a common functionality to run loads exceeding the current limiting settings. 20a mooch docking cord connected, running two AC units and a microwave. The DC system will provide inverted AC power beyond the 20A current limit setting.
And there in lies the problem. What does the OP have? Unfortunately they haven't returned to answer that question.

Based on Post #1, they have a 2022 High Country with the 400 watt solar package. AFAIK, that comes with the standard, limited function, inverter feeding 7 circuits, and the standard converter. The inverter doesn't have load sharing.
Ref: https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex-400i-overview

There is a an interesting claim in the product description saying "2000-watt inverter w/ built-in transfer switch (up to 7 inverted outlet), second inverted loop for A/C". Later on you find a related(?) statement that "** Second inverter and compatible air conditioner required. See dealer for details.". Not being current on all the solar options offered by Keystone, I am unsure about the AC reference. But knowing Keystone, it means that ain't happening with a stock install.

Having spent a lot of time with you, Drifty1, Ron and Ron, I am aware of the load sharing inverters, I saw first hand Drifty1's experience in Lincoln, NE when the 30 amp power went out with two ACs running. I didn't introduce load sharing into my original response as I am pretty sure it was not an option the OP has currently and definitely makes the discussion more complex.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Carl,

I agree the OP (Steve) likely has a stock inverter and its a shame he has not checked back in on this thread.

The hybrid (or load sharing) inverters are a huge upgrade and well worth the expense if you need to operate off 30 amp or a genny every once in a while. You can fire up the coffee maker or microwave without shutting things down. It will also cut back on the battery recharge if there is not enough power to do it.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:56 AM   #12
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
And there in lies the problem. What does the OP have? Unfortunately they haven't returned to answer that question.

Based on Post #1, they have a 2022 High Country with the 400 watt solar package. AFAIK, that comes with the standard, limited function, inverter feeding 7 circuits, and the standard converter. The inverter doesn't have load sharing.
Ref: https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex-400i-overview

There is a an interesting claim in the product description saying "2000-watt inverter w/ built-in transfer switch (up to 7 inverted outlet), second inverted loop for A/C". Later on you find a related(?) statement that "** Second inverter and compatible air conditioner required. See dealer for details.". Not being current on all the solar options offered by Keystone, I am unsure about the AC reference. But knowing Keystone, it means that ain't happening with a stock install.

Having spent a lot of time with you, Drifty1, Ron and Ron, I am aware of the load sharing inverters, I saw first hand Drifty1's experience in Lincoln, NE when the 30 amp power went out with two ACs running. I didn't introduce load sharing into my original response as I am pretty sure it was not an option the OP has currently and definitely makes the discussion more complex.
Mr. Y I didn’t make that same assumption regarding the stock equipment though the inference is clear. If the stock equip is what we are talking about then “NOPE”hybrid technology does not apply.

Stay safe and see ya next year.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:57 PM   #13
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
No no no!111 you need to have the dealer go over it with
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 amp, 50 amp, 50 amp 220 volts, shore power, solar