Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Low Voltage

We returned from our four months stay in upstate New York last week and as I was backing into the RV garage a message stating something to the effect “trailer electrical failure/error/fault…appeared on the truck dash. It flashed only briefly and then disappeared. While unhooking and trying to auto-level the RV the control panel on the side of the RV presented a low voltage error message, and I had to abort the auto-level. I was able to unhook and level using the manual mode, actuating the stabilizers in short bursts. The control panel stated low voltage in the 11.8 range. I have a 50 Amp hook-up in the garage which I connected to, and nothing improved, the low voltage remained the same. I hooked my truck power cable back to the RV and got a reading of 12.4 volts.

After leveling the RV I left the 50-amp hooked up hoping that it would recharged the system, but to no avail. The voltage continued to drop.

I tested that batteries and one read 6.5 volts and the other about 5.4 volts. I connected the bad battery to an AGM capable charger and let it charge to 100%. When finished the voltage equated to roughly 86% charge on my multimeter…even though the charger stated 100%. Since then and still connected to the 50-amp service the voltage has continued to drop.

I have 2 new (less than 1 year old) 6-volt AGM and while in NY was hooked to 50-amp service without any issues.

I checked the power chord outlet on the rear of the rig but no visible issues. I pulled it out of the rear wall but did not disassemble it…

Thoughts, ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance for your comments and questions.

wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 04:09 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is documentation on how the 12V system works that has been posted previously.

==================================

The 12V flow from the converter to the batteries is pretty straight forward. As others have pointed out, here are the places to look. All connections should have 13.5 +/- Volts if the converter is working.

• The converter is part of the power distribution panel -Ensure the CB for it is On
  • There are Reverse Polarity Fuses on the converter which protect against connecting a battery backwards. - Ensure they are not blown.
  • Check the output voltage at the converter. - it should be in the 13.5V DC range.
  • The power then runs to the Disconnect Switch in the Convenience Center. - Ensure the Red Key is in the position where it can *NOT* be removed. If removed, this interrupts the power charging the battery. The Disconnect Switch is not know to fail, but you can remove it to check there is power in and out of it just to be sure.
  • The power next flows to the group of 50 amp self-resetting CBs behind the battery. We all know about the one that hiccups and interrupts the hydraulic system. That one also passes power to/from the converter and batteries. You want to check it and it's brother (it is in the current flow to the battery) to ensure there is 13.5V on *EACH* side of the CB.
  • The last connection is the one from the 50 amp CBs to the batteries. Ensure you have clean connections and the cables are not corroded (watch out for internal corrosion under the shrink wrap).
Somewhere along this path there will be the problem. A simple VOM should find it. I hope this helps.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote