Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #21
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Frame issues is why I have a Trailer Saver Air ride hitch. The Trailer saver absorbs lot of the ruff roads. I have been inside the factory's, I have seen what the frames look like, lots of welding on critical area's. It is the person doing the welding, and of course the engineers. I'm some what disappointed with some issues on our 2021 Montana 3762BP. But, it is what it is. We have been able to get someone to come to our winter site and see if the Fridge can be repaired. I have had many norcold Fridges, never ever a issue. However the door now has a beeper that goes off if the door is closed properly, had the Montana back to the dealer and the door was shined. Worked for one day. And the issues seems to be the seals that can not be ordered, or we are told that anyway, entire door has to be ordered. We shall see.

Happy trails.

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #22
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
That is a "stress crack", which is covered under the 3-year structural warranty. Fix is to remove fiberglass and weld in aluminum braces with wood blocking. Should be done on both sides (even the side without a stress crack). I know because I had to get this repair done on my 2020 Montana 3780RL. Crack manifested itself after 12 months.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:38 PM   #23
Key

M.O.C. #30679
I have a 2021 montana, same problem within one year, now at Messa az to get repaired factory has a repair for it, they take skin off both sides front cap, repair broken weld and beef up crossmembers and add more,
Factory has a code that is KSB. Probably take week to ten days if they hurry
Tom
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:20 AM   #24
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
I’m so glad we refused delivery on 2022 Montana 3121rl legacy FBP,
The unit we had also had a bulge on the right front radius were the frame is welded to the frame work for the hitch. Just shake my head
Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:33 AM   #25
1wayhighway
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30465
So what do you buy?? I have read on several forums other manufactures having the exact same issue. Is there any rig out there worth buying?

Grand Design, Jayco, Keystone.........

Honestly the issues sound more like a design issue than anything else. A broken weld here and there may happen but when the repair requires reinforcement then it appears there is an understanding of the cause. A design issue also means this is a widespread problem that no one will escape.

So what's a person to do? We have a 3121 on order and reading about all the continuing issues make me more than a little nervous. We like to travel so we were hoping to cover a lot of ground with this unit....not sure it will hold up now.
1wayhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:44 AM   #26
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
You might want to check out the Durango Golds. When we went through them, straight from the factory, we couldn’t find hardly anything that needed to be repaired. They use azdel, 50% lighter than wood, no mold rot or warping and excellent insulating property’s. Plus low VOCS. They don’t come with disc brakes but they come standard with a dishwasher, tilt bed and on demand hot water heater. I was a Certified Master Mechanic for 40 years and these units are the nicest I’ve seen coming out of Indiana recently. The G356RLQ is almost the same floor plan as the 3121rl plus it has an extra slide in bedroom with a fireplace
Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:53 AM   #27
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
I’m so glad we refused delivery on 2022 Montana 3121rl legacy FBP, cracks sometime happen but Keystones warranty service, quality assurance and integrity is terrible.
The unit we had also had a bulge on the right front radius were the frame is welded to the frame work for the hitch. Just shake my head
Hello Cherokee,
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had on the Montana you ordered.

I work for Keystone. It would be great if you would send me a Private Message with information on the dealer and vin number of the Montana you refused. I'd like to look into the situation.

Do you currently own a Montana? Please also send my some information on why "Keystone warranty service is terrible" in your opinion.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:42 AM   #28
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Just prior to purchasing my Montana I was in the service department and saw 2 Monty's side by side the the nose caps and bedroom side walls removed. The service manager took me out and showed me the frame failure and the repair that they were preforming. He tole me it was caused by hard roads and being towed with a more rigid one ton suspension. Hummm.....

Samtana has keystone corrected this issue on the 2022 models and if not what should I do to prevent this from occurring?
Old 09-16-2022, 08:47 AM   #29
MrT

M.O.C. #31648
3781 rl crack

I have the same crack at the same location on my 2021 3781 rl Montana.
The dealer I purchased the unit from could not perform the work so I was hooked up by Keystone RV with a dealer that could make the repairs 101 miles from where it is parked at my camp (200 miles from where I live).
I was initially advised to call and make an appointment with repair facility they had me hooked up with, which was actually the closest repair facility that could do the work needed. I was also told to let them know when I had set appointment with repair facility so they could make arrangements to transport my unit to and from repair facility. They were very apologetic at this point.
After setting appointment and letting customer experience agent know of my appointment, I asked what needed to be done to set up the transport of my unit. After a bit of delay he contacted me and informed me that the would not be transporting unit but would offer 200 dollars travel expense in a goodwill gesture.
I informed him that it would take me a total of nearly 16 hours of travel in order for me to get my unit to and from location of repair facility. 2 hours from my house to the camp, 2 hours from camp to repair facility, 4 hours back to my home, 4 hours to go pick up unit after repairs. 2 hours to my camp, 2 hours back to my home.
He went on to explain that my owners manual says its my responsibility to get it to repair facility. So I guess that's what I'll do.
But I will never own another Keystone product or probably another camper again. I can't believe this is what I get for nearly 90k. If this were a typical warranty issue and not a defect I would be much more forgiving in this matter. For the record, nearly all of my towing thus far has been either on or just off the interstate.
I just hope they fix it properly.
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:02 AM   #30
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
I have the same crack at the same location on my 2021 3781 rl Montana.
The dealer I purchased the unit from could not perform the work so I was hooked up by Keystone RV with a dealer that could make the repairs 101 miles from where it is parked at my camp (200 miles from where I live).
I was initially advised to call and make an appointment with repair facility they had me hooked up with, which was actually the closest repair facility that could do the work needed. I was also told to let them know when I had set appointment with repair facility so they could make arrangements to transport my unit to and from repair facility. They were very apologetic at this point.
After setting appointment and letting customer experience agent know of my appointment, I asked what needed to be done to set up the transport of my unit. After a bit of delay he contacted me and informed me that the would not be transporting unit but would offer 200 dollars travel expense in a goodwill gesture.
I informed him that it would take me a total of nearly 16 hours of travel in order for me to get my unit to and from location of repair facility. 2 hours from my house to the camp, 2 hours from camp to repair facility, 4 hours back to my home, 4 hours to go pick up unit after repairs. 2 hours to my camp, 2 hours back to my home.
He went on to explain that my owners manual says its my responsibility to get it to repair facility. So I guess that's what I'll do.
But I will never own another Keystone product or probably another camper again. I can't believe this is what I get for nearly 90k. If this were a typical warranty issue and not a defect I would be much more forgiving in this matter.

Unfortunately this is a very common problem. Sorry that you're having to go through it. If I were you I would go up the chain to supervisor or manager and fight for more! A lot of folks here are headed to the MOC rally and I'm sure this issue will be part of the discussion. I was talking to my service department yesterday and they say that they see a lot of this issue that have goose necks. Question, what type of pin box and hitch are you using?
Old 09-16-2022, 09:19 AM   #31
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Welcome to the forum!!

MrT........we feel your pain!! In our case, we dropped the trailer off at our dealer 250 miles from home to make the structural repair (Keystone even made the repair on the opposite side since it also had a slideout, even though there was no stress crack) so arranged a camping trip to end up within a few miles from the dealer. After we dropped the trailer off we drove back home 250 miles then returned 3 months later after the warranty repair was made, picked up the trailer and then camped along the way home. Travel time totaled ~20 hours but never thought about it as the area we traveled through had beautify scenery.

In another case, my rv club friend got his trailer towed from outside San Francisco, Califirornia to a Oregon Keystone repair facility, made the structural repair then towed the trailer back to his home.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #32
MrT

M.O.C. #31648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Unfortunately this is a very common problem. Sorry that you're having to go through it. If I were you I would go up the chain to supervisor or manager and fight for more! A lot of folks here are headed to the MOC rally and I'm sure this issue will be part of the discussion. I was talking to my service department yesterday and they say that they see a lot of this issue that have goose necks. Question, what type of pin box and hitch are you using?
B&W Companion Hitch and whatever pin box Keystone had as standard equipment.(My unit is 100 miles away so I can't look at it to tell you for sure). I also went up mgmt. flag pole and was still shot down.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #33
MrT

M.O.C. #31648
B&W Companion Hitch and whatever pin box Keystone had as standard equipment.(My unit is 100 miles away so I can't look at it to tell you for sure). I also went up mgmt. flag pole and was still shot down.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:44 AM   #34
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Cracks at those locations can be indicative of an underlying frame issue. It seems that more and more of this type of damage has been reported in the past year and it seems like a pattern is forming. Regardless, you need to get it evaluated and I hope you get it fixed. What really bothers me is that the frame mfgr. supposedly builds the frames to the RV mfgr., specs, and this problem could be virtually eliminated with the addition a few cents of steel.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:56 AM   #35
MrT

M.O.C. #31648
Am I correct in understanding that either some portion of these frames are 1/8 inch thick? If so, this is riding lawn mower size frame.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #36
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
1/8 inch thick..........do not know, dealer making the repair will........BUT in 18 years of owning 3 Keystone fifth wheel trailers the 2020 Montana was the only one a front cab stress crack under the slide occured on and Keystone honored its 3 y warranty. My dealer showed me photos of the repair but never asked for them......dang, wish I had.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #37
MrT

M.O.C. #31648
Not meaning to sound like a jerk, but, if I were to spend 100k for a knee replacement and the artificial knee were defective and the hospital said they would repair or replace it for free and they ultimately did an exceptional job I still would not find that either comforting or satisfactory. Neither would virtually anyone I know.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #38
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Good point and I fully understand!!............that is why I only had one total knee replacement as I did not want to increase the chance of complications with a second knee replacement.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #39
MrT

M.O.C. #31648
Thanks for reminding me to ask for pics of repair. I don't mean to sound like a grouch but I'm frustrated. This is my second Keystone product with MAJOR issues. They handled the first very well so I gave them another chance. Shame on me. Actually, it is my third new Keystone product I've purchased.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:54 AM   #40
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
Thanks for reminding me to ask for pics of repair. I don't mean to sound like a grouch but I'm frustrated. This is my second Keystone product with MAJOR issues. They handled the first very well so I gave them another chance. Shame on me. Actually, it is my third new Keystone product I've purchased.
Join the club. My 7th trailer and second Keystone. I had a lot of problems with my Cougar as well. I've learned that along with quality control problems, dragging a trailer in the equivalent of a 5.0 earthquake for hours on end...something is going to break. I'm fortunate enough to work right around the corner from my dealership. I drive by every day and stop in frequently. Hell they've offered me a job I told them I wouldn't be a great rep for the product because I'd be too honest and set the expectations of stuff breaking