Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2022, 07:24 AM   #1
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Interesting Find

During our last camping trip I decided to get a head start on our upcoming solar and LiFePo4 upgrades. Everything will be going behind the aft bulkhead wall of the baggage compartment where the rats nest of wiring and plumbing normally resides. Others locate their equipment in the normal forward battery compartment, but to each their own.

Interesting find was that the CSW2012-HX Magnum-Dimensions inverter does not work at all if the communications cable from the display is disconnected. I had powered everything down including the inverter circuit for safety reasons while re-routing the comm line for the inverter. Out of curiosity I decided to test the inverter circuitry while the comm cable was unplugged. The inverter wont work at all without the comm line to the remote display hooked up. So lesson learned here is if there are issues with the above mentioned CSW2012-HX inverter, first check the remote display. May sound like a no brainer, but if the line is ever damaged then the inverter wont power the residential refrigerator on battery or shore power.

Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Ya I discovered the same when I replaced my inverter. Funny thing, when Dimensions sent me a replacement they included 2 cables and control panels. There is only 1 port

What upgrades are you doing? Batteries and? Be sure to send pictures of the upgrade.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Pending Upgrade

Tony I'm going to start with the 2 x 206Ah SOK batteries currently sitting in the den. Other than the Renogy DC-DC 40A charger currently installed plus a pair of their 320W panels the rest will be Victron:
150 / 70A TR MPPT
Lynx shunt IP22 VE. Can 1000 amp
Lynx distributor
MultiPlus II inverter / converter
Cerbo GX
GX Touch 70 or 50 - whichever will fit best for room available

Part of this is way overkill, but seems to be a logical balance for the current 412Ah setup plus room for future expansion. DW has a Facebook account, so I troll the Keystone Fifth Wheel Factor Solar Flex group. Got some good input from Matt Wolkins.

Since planning ahead for future upgrades, looks like I'll run a 2nd roof penetration for the pair of 320W panels feeding the additional controller. This should allow for a 3rd 320W panel for that circuit plus a 2nd 200W panel for the existing circuit later on.

Going to install one soft start for the living room AC. Santa will need a pup sled to pull behind his main sled.

Feel free to add your thoughts to this. Hope your roof repairs go well and in a timely manner.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:28 AM   #4
ScottM

M.O.C. #31820
Hi Lee,

Based on your description, these may interest you. You only have one gland coming down from you roof right now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GX 70 .jpg
Views:	26
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	13416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Equip Bay.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	13417  
ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:00 AM   #5
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
That is a sweet setup Scott!
Yes - only one factory MC4 penetration port came with the 200W base package.
For now, I'm still considering moving everything to behind the aft wall of the baggage compartment. With that said, if I weighed more than a buck fifty I would have to teach my youngest grandson how to run wiring. LOL
Photo is an example of what I'm considering doing. Batteries would be back behind the aft wall as well. There is an amazing amount of wasted space behind there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Project.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	13421