Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2022, 11:56 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Yet another change

Original television antenna on our Montana 375 is the Rayzor:

The problem with this antenna is the simple fact, it sticks up above the roof, has those prongs on the front and my Montana is pretty high already. What does that mean? It's subject to low hanging tree branches. Not necessarily big branches, even the little tiny ones can catch those prongs and flip the antenna around.

When that happens, the PLASTIC shaft inside breaks.

The first time this happened, Rayzor warranty replaced it and my dealership installed it (absolutely no charge).

Then, the replacement shaft broke again some time later. I was able to get the right parts and replaced them, pretty cheap, but still frustrating work and time.

Move forward again. I'm pretty sure when it happened again. End of July, 2022, Brown County State Park, our arrival. On the main road leading into the campground were some lower hanging branches ... small ones, that I'm pretty sure touched the top of the trailer. This was enough to break that shaft again.

Forward again. End of July all of August, September and now October, when arriving at a new site, I'd climb on the roof and turn the antenna. OK, I'm tired of this. So decided it was time to fix it and fix it right!

I considered another Rayzor but ONLY if I could get some kind of cover or protection over the top of it. I did some Google internet searching and found a roof vent cover that was large enough to fit over the top of the antenna, IF I purchased another one. But, before purchasing, I figured I better go to my "go to people" ... my absolute trustworthy RV dealership ---j old school cooter --- parts department guy! So I went this morning.

We talked, shared my problems. He listened. And then we talked about changing to a completely different antenna.

I looked around the parking lot at the new campers there (all Keystone products), and noticed they ALL had Wingard 360 plus on them. So we talked about alternatives. The more we talked, the more I did not want another Rayzor because of the vulnerability of that shaft breaking again.

Well, he convinced me (and it did not take much convincing) to with the Wingard 360 plus. Although it has the WIFI (stuff) available, we'll never use that (so maybe that was a waste). We just want over-the-air television. He said, for over-the-air television, now power is required. Power is required for the wifi stuff and what not. Just plug in the coax on the camper and you are ready to go.

Well, I walked out the door with the Wingard and tube of Alpha self leveling lap sealant. Got home, pulled off the old Rayzor, plopped the Wingard down and viola!

Now, we are parked at home right now, and our over-the-air reception is pretty good, but directional. We draw television stations from Indianapolis, sometimes Fort Wayne, always Muncie, Lafayette, and even Bloomington. Sometimes we can pick up Cincinnati, Ohio. I know that sounds incredible, but it's true.

So, normally, in the camper, on both televisions, with the Rayzor (and booster turned on), we got about 65 stations with the antenna pointed toward Indianapolis.

The Wingard pulled in 89 stations and do not have to constantly flip the antenna around and around and around any more!

I think we have a "Winner Winner... Chicken Dinner!"

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:11 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Yep, I did the exact same thing when the shaft of our Rayzor broke. I do use the wifi part with a connection to our King Wifi Booster. I was using the 4G antenna as well but have since switched to Visible...we'll see how that works over the long haul.

I think you made a good choice...no more shafts to break.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:35 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Yep, ... but have since switched to Visible...we'll see how that works over the long haul.

I think you made a good choice...no more shafts to break.
Thank-you for the confirmation! And just an FYI ... we've been using Visible for about a year and a half now! Works great. I think you'll enjoy it.

We did pick up a booster: WeBoost since we do a lot of streaming video on our Roku television. Sometimes, there is just one bar and the television buffers too much. With the WeBoost, it doesn't buffer any more. As long as there is at least 1 bar, it works well. It also helps our AT&T when we have 1 bar. Of course, there are places with absolutely no service anywhere. WeBoost can't do miracles when no miracle is possible.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I have the 360 and the WiFi gateway. It works very well! I love having a WiFi signal following me while I travel.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:09 PM   #5
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
OK, I have thought about changing but thought first I would try a flat antenna that goes in the window. That was a waste.

I really don't want to change out what I have YET.

Can anyone tell me where to get the little shaft inside? I would be willing to try this before changing the antenna out.
Thanks
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:29 AM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I don't think the shaft is available as a separate part. Some have manufactured some kind of replacement. Changing to an omni-directional antenna is usually the solution.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:54 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post

Can anyone tell me where to get the little shaft inside? ...
Thanks
I guess I just got lucky, because I went to my local RV dealership parts department / store and the folks there disassembled a display model and gave me the shaft out of it. I think they charged me a couple dollars. As this was a display model only, they had no qualms about doing this.

I searched the internet high and low, and the folks at my dealership store also searched their resources and couldn't find anything either, without purchasing the a whole new antenna. It was then they came up with idea to strip out the display model and they gave me part out of the display sample.

I did a little internet searching and the going price for a new Rayzor is $156. The cost of the Wingard 360 is $159. This seems to be the approximate price everywhere on the internet. I got mine from my dealership for the $159 price, but I got a little bit of discount off with them because of my history with them. (perks).

I do strongly suggest, if you end up replacing, replace it with something that CANNOT get caught in low-hanging tree branches and limbs and twigs. If you put up another Rayzor, it will break again.