Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2022, 08:59 PM   #1
mwhite420

M.O.C. #31361
Solar panel installation

I have a 2021 294 RL high country that I was thinking of installing a panel or two
But need information on anyone who has done it. Any advise?

mwhite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:14 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First, it would help if you tell us what you want to do. That will drive recommendations. For example, are you just trying to keep the fridge running while you travel, or are you trying to boondock and run appliances? There are lots of good how-to’s here, but everyone’s needs are different.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:45 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If I was doing mine all over again I would use aluminum unistrut rails.
With rails you can be sure every screw you use to mount the rail goes into a rafter stud.
Use a stud finder and painters tape to mark the studs. If you use the mounting brackets that come with the panels, you can only be sure one side of the panel has mounting brackets mounted to a rafter stud. The other (trailing) brackets will have to be fastened where they lay.
Also with rails, you can move/replace/upgrade the panels without drilling new holes.
When you are ready to mount the rails, clean the roof with alcohol then put down a 2x4" piece of Eternabond tape where you plan to drill the holes for the rail screws. Next, set your rails and drill the pilot holes for the screws. Put Dicor self leveling sealant in the screw holes and between the rails and the Eternabond tape. Put a spacer (or thick washer) between the rail and the Eternabond tape to allow water to drain away under the rail off the roof. Install the screw through the rail and put some more Dicor over the screw head.

As far as panel size goes, I drew a scale drawing of my roof with all the obstructions on graph paper. Then cut out scale panels of the sizes I was interested in and see how they fit around the obstructions. I went with 200W panels as they seem to fit best to maximize (future, expansion) coverage.
Be aware if you are pre wired for solar the wire is 10 gauge which is a maximum of 30A.
I bought a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor and a Victron 100/30 MPPT. I wish I had gone for the 100/50. The 100/30 max output is 400W (30A).
I have two 200W panels. I find my batteries (552ah lithium) are usually charged by noon or early afternoon.
I also have a DC-DC charger as a backup to the solar.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hlight=charger
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I'd start here. https://www.keystonerv.com
https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex-400i-overview

You need to understand the components and their function. If you're not prewired it's going to be a challenge running the cables. Like Rames said we need to know how you intend on using it. IMO the 400 is bare minimum for a useful solar system, but it wont run the frig or AC for long. You would need to upgrade to a larger system with a healthy lithium battery bank. If you're just looking to help keep a charge while boondocking the 400 works.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:56 PM   #5
Tonykling
Established Member

M.O.C. #24247
Solar Install

I installed exactly the same system that Daryles described in his response and am very happy with the results. My 200-watt, 40-amp solar set-up is designed to keep my batteries topped off because the hydraulic slides and jacks require a fully charged battery to work well.

Unistrut works great and I used stainless steel Unistruts with all stainless steel hardware to keep the corrosion down. I laid down Eternabond tape, placed my struts in the right position, and put sealant on the screws before I installed them to mount the Unistrut. On my roof, you can see the joints spaced every 16 inches and the Unistrut allows you to hit three joists on every 4-foot strut. I made my own cables and Renogy sells all the hardware and tools you need.

In the front compartment, I added a plywood board to mount the MPPT controller/charger and the cables. I left room for an inverter, which I may add in the future. I can monitor this system with my phone when near the trailer.

I might add a third solar panel if I choose to upgrade my batteries. To do that, I will only need one more Unistrut, panel, two small cables, and a few pieces of hardware. Total system cost was about $500, well worth the cost if you have to store your trailer in a lot with no power connection. Every time I come to pick up my trailer, the batteries are fully charged!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_171456.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	13479   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_171512.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	13480   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_183556.jpg
Views:	37