Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #1
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Lippert Jack falling

Hi guys been a while since I have posted. On my rig the passenger side rear and middle jacks were falling when driving home from camping. I was alerted from a passing motorist. Pulled over and used Rachet tie downs to keep them up. Got home retracted and waited they did not fall.

So not sure where to start or what to do. Im not familiar with the hydraulic system aside from stickton. No visible leaks tank is not low.

Im
Pretty handy but don’t know where to start or call a mobile tech….

Tony

I did read some of the old posts, could be a valve or set screw or the jacks may need to be rebuilt. Not sure what is what on this system.

2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:30 PM   #2
Pathfinder75
Established Member

M.O.C. #19500
Sorry mine are electric. Suggest calling Lippert they will give you the best answer. Agree I also believe I have read something about a valve leaking by.
Good luck.

2017 Montana HC 353RL - Sailun S637's, Progressive EMS-HW50C
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB, B&W Companion OEM puck mt.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:23 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Tony, I had that happen once on our 2019 3791RD. I'm guessing there was air somewhere in the system. I cycled the jacks up/down and the slides in/out a couple times and it hasn't happened since. I also had no leaks, at least not that I could find.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:31 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
It could be several things. Since it's not doing it now I would think that it's most likely is the solenoid controlled valve may not have been completely seated allowing gravity to do it's thing. I don't have hydraulic levelers but a lot of hydraulic experience. I don't believe Montana's have hydraulic filters so any debris in the system could cause issues, and as McNeal said it could be air.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #5
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Morning guys, so what I did yesterday before and after posting was read some older threads. In a thread it mentioned Allen head set screws on the solenoid. I found the solenoid with the wires labeled rear curb side checked the Allen head and it was loose by 1.5 turns maybe more. After that brought the slides in and raised the rear Jack last night before bed. This morning the rear jacks are still up and so far so good. Can’t believe I’m that lucky….

I will cycle them a few times and repeat the test overnight again. 1 little Allen head screw huh…… I’m never that lucky lol
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 11-23-2022, 09:35 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
I found the solenoid with the wires labeled rear curb side checked the Allen head and it was loose by 1.5 turns maybe more. After that brought the slides in and raised the rear Jack last night before bed. This morning the rear jacks are still up and so far so good. Can’t believe I’m that lucky. I will cycle them a few times and repeat the test overnight again. 1 little Allen head screw huh…… I’m never that lucky lol
I recall reading the previous threads on this subject - but please remind me...was it 1.5 turn clockwise? or counterclockwise?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #7
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I believe clockwise to tighten. The other 2 were tight. The last one was lose.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:54 AM   #8
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The loose manual override screw on that Hydac valve will certainly cause your issues with those levelers bleeding down.. Snug tighten them only.

Also those are what you would open .. one at a time to manually retract extend the levelers and front LG.. Plus any hydraulic slides you have..

If you are not up to speed with how to operate manually using a cordless drill now would be a good time to read up...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #9
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The loose manual override screw on that Hydac valve will certainly cause your issues with those levelers bleeding down.. Snug tighten them only.

Also those are what you would open .. one at a time to manually retract extend the levelers and front LG.. Plus any hydraulic slides you have..

If you are not up to speed with how to operate manually using a cordless drill now would be a good time to read up...
I'm having a repeat issue with the one front jack sagging when parked. The dealer says they replaced that jack, and now it is worse. Instead of sagging an inch or so in a few weeks, it sags about 4-5".

Should I look for a loose override screw?

And, can you direct me to where to find the info on how to operate manually with a drill? I hate the thought of even trying to find which manual and which version of a manual, and on what section of what page of a manual... IOW, RV manuals drive me nuts and I always prefer to have a link to the info online; if that is possible. But, if you don't have it handy, I can go searching for it.

Thanks in advance!
Brad
Old 11-25-2022, 03:05 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The manual override on about any Montana product is the same after you open the described solenoid with the set screw ... using a 1/4" allen bit in your drill, insert it into the end of the slide/landing gear motor (there will be a little cover plate that you simply remove or punch thru) Clockwise makes the slides go in and counterclockwise makes the slides go out. Be sure and close the solenoid after you finish doing which ever direction. It takes a goodly charged drill motor to make this work if your slides are all the way out and it takes some patience due to slow speed. Also ... it sure wouldn't hurt if in your spare time you do look thru the manual as there is a lot of useful info other than what you are currently seeking.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #11
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
The manual override on about any Montana product is the same after you open the described solenoid with the set screw ... using a 1/4" allen bit in your drill, insert it into the end of the slide/landing gear motor (there will be a little cover plate that you simply remove or punch thru) Clockwise makes the slides go in and counterclockwise makes the slides go out. Be sure and close the solenoid after you finish doing which ever direction. It takes a goodly charged drill motor to make this work if your slides are all the way out and it takes some patience due to slow speed. Also ... it sure wouldn't hurt if in your spare time you do look thru the manual as there is a lot of useful info other than what you are currently seeking.
Thanks for the great info!
Haha, I have looked into the manual in my spare time, and usually find a nugget or 2... but it just seems like when you actually try to find something it hides out!

Appreciate the reply!
Brad
Old 11-25-2022, 03:27 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I figured I'd get a chuckle out of you ... for the purists on the MOC, you're really opening a valve and not a solenoid ... fingers were ahead of my brain.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #13
Starchey
Established Member

M.O.C. #26046
Had that happen on my rig ended up replacing the passenger side middle no problems since. I did call a mobile RV tech he diagnosed it
Starchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #14
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Falling jacks - my turn!

We are hoping to leave for a weekend trip in the morning...first time out in exactly 1 year. I have been cleaning it up and getting it ready. Got hooked up to the truck, retracted all of the jacks and half hour later noticed both drivers side rear jack legs were down a couple of inches. I had some small ratchet straps and tried strapping them up to keep closed - figuring if I can get thru this weekend I will do more tests and figure out what is wrong when we get back. Read thru this thread and tried to tighten the 1/8" allen head screw on top of the hydac valve. While I was in the compartment I noticed a drip of hydraulic fluid on the end of a THING (??? don't know what it is - see pic below). The allen head screw did not feel like it moved clockwise (tighten) at all. None.

The hose connections for each jack (all jacks both sides and front) are dirty with what I consider road grime. There is no evidence of dripping on any of the feet.

1. Straps? - As you can see from the pic of the jack - my little baby straps must not be big enough because the jack has come down 2" with the strap on it. Do any of you guys have a pic of how you have strapped these things up successfully? I suppose I need to go get some more substantial ratchet straps tomorrow morning.

2. I will have to do a lot of reading and video watching when I get back to try to figure out what to do next. Probably will start with a search to find all of ChuckS posts on the hydraulic system. I have read lots of threads here - but my brain cells forgot most of it. Now that I have the problem - I will have to learn for real.

3. I read in the posts to this thread "I cycled the jacks up/down and the slides in/out a couple times and it hasn't happened since". I have not tried this yet. In the morning I will remove my little baby straps and run the jacks up and down several (3?) times and run the slides in and out (3?) times to see if it makes any difference before I head to Tractor Supply to buy some more substantial straps.

4. I just remembered that in October 2021 - we were leaving a campground and I noticed the REAR drivers side jack was down a bit. I strapped it up with a motley bunch of crap, chains, rope etc. until we got to our destination. The next day and everyday after - the problem was gone. I thought that maybe I failed to retract the legs completely, and I never thought about it again until now. I have been looking at the hose connections semi-regularly looking for red drips and stains on the feet, and I have not seen any evidence of those leaks.

Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-12-01_19-51-29.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	13749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic leg.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	13750  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:42 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am hoping it is an air bubble due to sitting for a year. Cycling the jacks out/in a couple of time hopefully will clear it up. Best of luck!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:10 PM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Like said, sitting that long without exercising the jacks once in a while ... by some odd reason you may have just had an air pocket form. Until you have time to definitively track things down ... once you retract all jacks, just bump the control panel to "extend" for a second. That will equalize pressure in the system. When you lay on the retract button for several seconds once all slides are in or all jacks are up thinking you're doing a good thing, you're just building pressure on the retract side. If you do have a leaking piston seal(s), that pressure seeps by and pushes that cylinder(s) down. Same thing happens to slides when people lay on the retract button for several seconds to in their mind make sure all are in. You don't have to treat hydraulic slides/jacks like you do Schwintech slide systems in which they do recommend holding the button for a few seconds. Additionally, as to the set screw in the top of the valve/solenoid combo ... you want to just make sure they are snug, do not really reef down on that small set screw.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Reading back thru this thread concerning the set screw that a 5/32 allen (some 1/8") wrench fits in the end of the valve ... turning the set screw clockwise till it lightly seats OPENS the valve for manual operation. Turning the set screw counterclockwise till it unloads closes the valve for normal operation via the hyd pump.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:40 PM   #18
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Mike I couldn't really tell from the picture due to lighting, and I've not had a unit with hydraulics for years. However looking at the general location of the plumbing and fittings on the block, your drip could be coming from what could be a pressure relief valve on the end of the block. Just a SWAG on my part. However is such is the case and if the valve is a Sun brand valve, one can get a rebuild kit very cheap and rebuilding one is a piece of cake.
With that said, hoping the issue is indeed an air bubble just needing to be worked out. Hope to hear good news from you. Oh - and enjoy your outing! Been hovering right around the freezing temperature overnight at home in Northeast TX. Hopefully you will be somewhere where there isn't a burn ban and can build a nice campfire of an evening. Enjoy!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:07 PM   #19
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Lee, that quick connect ftg is a port to plug in a test gauge or similar.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:19 AM   #20
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Lee, that quick connect ftg is a port to plug in a test gauge or similar.
Appreciate it! I really could not tell for certain due to dark picture plus the box drawn pretty much over part of the pressure test port. Like I said - SWAG...

I know enough hydraulics to be certified as "dangerous" LOL Electronics tech by background, but 2/3 of the equipment I work on is hydraulic.
I have an observation though. I can't see why Mike's 1" ratchet strap still allowed his leveler to drop down further. Seems to me there would have had to been residual pressure applied to the ram causing the thin strap to stretch. Sorry, but I love a good head scratcher...
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote