Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2022, 08:36 AM   #1
Castner

M.O.C. #32016
Smile Cheap Heat

My wife and I own a 2017 3791-RD Montana. A neighbor of ours in Florida who is a Full Timer, uses CHEAP HEAT SYSTEM to heat their unit. It works very well and their electric bill using this type of system has not cost a lot! It installs onto your present gas furnace. Has anyone installed this type of unit in their rig. We are thinking about installing it in our rig! Any information would be helpful!

Castner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:55 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It’s electric heat. With ANY electric heat you will get 3400 BYU of heat for every KW of electricity it uses. The exact same as you get from any electric heat. You will loose part of that in the duct work, probably at least 25%. So it’s cheaper to use plug in electric heaters.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
First I've heard of this so had to look. It looks like a good idea being that it integrates with your existing forced air.

https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/buy
Old 11-26-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Depends on the electric rates of coarse.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Reading their web site their main claim seems to be that you get heat during what would be the pre-firing purge and post-firing purge of the gas furnace rather than it blowing cool air during that time. And of course not using propane.

When a gas furnace first starts, the fan runs for some time before the gas valve opens to clear out (purge) any gas that may have accumulated in the furnace and could cause an explosion or fire. And the fan continues to run after the gas shuts off to clear any gas left in the furnace. The electric coils would not require those purge times.

Another advantage would be the better distribution of heat through out the trailer. I didn’t calculate the heat output of electric vs propane. It would probably not be desirable on 30 amp service as you would already be trying to manage and conserve power.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:05 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I've looked at it several times before, but for many of the reasons mentioned above we just never thought it would be the best choice for us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:40 AM   #7
rayegelhoff1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23169
cheapHeat

Ray and Kelly,
2016 305RL, 2010 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab, long box
here is the url to cheapheat: www.rvcomfortsystems.com/add-on-system
I have had the CH50-DH50 installed since winter of 2017 on my 2016 305RL, it useses about 20 amps per leg on 50 amp service and is comparable to 40,000 BTU gas. The really great thing about this unit is right now it is 20Degrees F. outside and 68 inside at 47% humidity in coach and basement is runs at 60 degrees where water pipes and holding tanks are.
I very seldom park where I only have 30 amp service, this is a great product for us.
rayegelhoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:12 PM   #8
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
4800 watts = 16378 BTU
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:04 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Several of the RV parks we've stayed at in our travels since retirement charge per KWH if you stay over 1 week or have a flat rate for electricity for the same scenario. I'd imagine the push for more electric vehicles needing a charge station will accelerate this point. So one really needs to compute the cost of the Cheap Heat plus install in with the possible KWH cost in comparison to propane usage before pulling the trigger on it.

Just for conversation .... They are pushing solar installs on our stick houses in my neck of the woods. In my particular case, the cost of the system installed taking in consideration of my current and projected KWH /mt usage would take 15 years to pay off before my solar would be producing power free of any loan balance. Heck, I'd be 83 by then if I was still above ground!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Several of the RV parks we've stayed at in our travels since retirement charge per KWH if you stay over 1 week or have a flat rate for electricity for the same scenario. I'd imagine the push for more electric vehicles needing a charge station will accelerate this point. So one really needs to compute the cost of the Cheap Heat plus install in with the possible KWH cost in comparison to propane usage before pulling the trigger on it.

Just for conversation .... They are pushing solar installs on our stick houses in my neck of the woods. In my particular case, the cost of the system installed taking in consideration of my current and projected KWH /mt usage would take 15 years to pay off before my solar would be producing power free of any loan balance. Heck, I'd be 83 by then if I was still above ground!
And that assumes a Kansas hail storm doesn't damage it in the 15 years.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote