Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2023, 10:42 AM   #1
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
E-bike? For Quartzsite?

Hello all. We will be in Quartzite this year (1st time) and wondering how useful/essential having an e-bike would be to get around? We don’t own, so it’s a big expense to add. We are both 67. I grew up on bikes, so even though many years since I last road, know I will be fine. However, my wife has limited experience on a bike, really does not know how to ride, so worried about her learning to balance etc. Hopefully she would be able to learn in a safe area (with no cars to collide with, so thinking Quartzite perfect). We would also need a carrier, so more expense. Besides using in the desert, we plan on spending about 6 months a year RV’ing going forward as I just retired, and thinking we would use often? Thinking of the Lectic 3.0 folding, but seems heavy to lift onto a rack?

So with all that in mind, would taking the plunge be worth it? For those that have, do you really use/enjoy a lot, or regret buying?

Thanks

Robokatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Neil, we will be bringing ours. I would probably not ride into town on it, but there are a few things it would work good for - visiting the Bouse Fisherman, the Quartzsite intaglio and general exercise. I may take the rack off and put it on the truck. We travel everywhere with ours.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:12 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Robokatz: You question was moved to a new Thread as it likely applies to more than the Quartzsite experience.

Here is a link to a previous 3 page discussion on E Bikes that may help you. https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=80112

The Quartzsite camping area is relatively level and smooth. There are washes and holes but a good place to practice without cars whizzing by. It is 7 miles to town on Hwy-95. That is a busy 2 lane road with speed limits of 55 to 65. There is a dirt road used by quads and side by side that parallels the road but I don't know if it is something you would want to ride.

Quartzsite itself is crowded that time of year. Lots of cars, minimal parking, and hundreds of vendors/shops/interesting places to visit. A bike there makes it easier to get around and park but be aware of the traffic (which doesn't move fast )

I don't own an E-Bike so I can't help with your questions. I will offer that at least three couples I know have bought them and no longer use them. But the other two still do. It might be age differences and/or athletic ability. I know that at my age, I would like to use one to get around but lifting it is a problem.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:25 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Carl, I just crossed into my 8th decade. Terrie and I can do 30 miles fairly comfortably in pedal assist 1 (I’m providing most of the power). Lifting is an issue, but I may build a ramp out of PVC to roll them onto the rack. We still do 20 on our road bikes at about the same speed as the e-bikes. I use about 15% more calories per mile on the road bike. The Aventon Level has been a great bike. They use them in Denali NP as rentals, so you know they’re rugged. We opted for the narrower tires over the Aventure.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:25 PM   #5
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I would not buy bikes just for Quartzsite; that is a big expense. We will be taking ours, but mostly to use at our destination after Quartzsite. I'm not sure we will even unload them at Quartzsite; undecided. The area where we camp is volcanic and might be a little tough on tires. I will not ride into town on highway 95 or the ATV trail; not sure I'd live through that. The bikes would be nice to ride down Plamosa road (where we camp) to see desert sites; we might do that. We also have the Lectric bikes; the xpremium model. We have not had them long enough to give a report on their usefulness. Others on the forum will let you know and many own the 3.0 model. Yes, it takes two people to load them.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:57 PM   #6
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I have over a thousand miles done over about 4 years on my Lectric. The battery is still going strong. The only problem I had was that the chain guard broke free of the sprocket. While it didn’t seem like a big issue I soon found out that without the guard the chain would keep falling off the sprockets. I emailed Lectric to purchase a new guard and even though I was well out of warranty they sent me, at no cost, a new guard, sprocket, crank, and a crank removal tool. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted with that level of customer service! It does turnout however that you can’t replace the guard without removing the sprocket and crank and the sprocket will not separate from the crank without damage.
I highly recommend Lectric, as I think they are a bargain at under $1000. As a mater of fact, I replaced my wife’s bike with a Lectric last year.
As for transporting them you can save the cost of a carrier by just buying a large plastic tote from Lowe’s and just haul them on the floor of your camper. They ride that way amazingly well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	16053  
Old 12-03-2023, 07:36 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I will have mine at Q. You are welcome to try it out.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #8
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Robokatz, for last 2 yrs we've covered approx 14K miles/10 months in 5er and ebikes went everywhere. We use them at nearly every stop; even if just to see local sights. I strongly suggest trying before you buy. You may like a full size ebike similar to your old bike or the smaller Lectrics; but try it. With our bike rack on the back of 5er; I park bike beside rack, apply back break, wheelie front up and onto the rack, then just pick up the back half of the bike and set it in the slot. I never pick up the entire bike. Even after buying your first bike, after time you may change your riding mission. We've got two cruisers that I added knobby front tires for dirt/off road riding and have resigned ourselves to the fact we need different bikes now. Oh well....
182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:51 PM   #9
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
Thanks for all the comments, and offers to try out at Quartzite. Maybe best plan would be to buy 1 bike that I can use, and make sure my wife comfortable using before we buy for her.
Robokatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:57 PM   #10
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Neil,

Bought my wife's first to let her get comfortable and then bought mine 4 mon later. I ride mine quite a bit but my wife does not ride much now.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:35 AM   #11
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
We take our ebikes everywhere. One of the best investments we ever made.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:38 AM   #12
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
We take our ebikes everywhere. One of the best investments we ever made.
Same here. We’re in Quartzite now. We moved the rack to the truck and take them into town. There is no way I’d ride a bike on 95 even for a short distance.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:45 AM   #13
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
I highly recommend the HD 1Up bike rack with the ramp. Like others here there is no way we can actually lift our bikes onto a rack. I did have to trim our rear fenders to make it work but it’s been well worth it.

https://1up-usa.com/product/2-heavy-duty-double

https://1up-usa.com/product/v-style-ramp
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:03 PM   #14
Dee_Dub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24453
We have e-bikes and are quite comfortable with them, however I would not take them to quartzite if that was the only destination on the trip. As mentioned above the lava would not be kind to the tires. I would recommend renting some bikes before buying them.