Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2024, 09:11 PM   #1
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Fresh Water Tank

My water line was leaking and I found why:

I believe this is from mice.
Here is what the underbelly looked like under the freshwater tank:

I'm replacing the underbelly material with black coroplast.

There seems to be another problem, and maybe it's common. The tank seems to sag.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is holding at least five gallons in there. And the residual junk in there just can't get out easily. I can push up on it and help get it out but...
https://youtube.com/shorts/OsmrTyTHSKU?feature=share

It's mostly in the middle. I think if I would block up the middle it would help, and put a steel strap across the long way to give more support.
Is this normal? It does not look like it would be easy to replace as it looks like it was put in from the top before the aluminum frame was set on the steal frame.

brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 07:39 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Yes, those tanks are installed from the top. When they build the camper, the first that put in place is the water and holding tanks.

You can run another supporting brace and anchor it in on the adjoining trailer frame. Just be careful and don't drill holes through the tank!

And FYI, that sag is normal. It's a plastic and plastic stretches and gives and form different shapes. They all hold water in the bottom, they all never completely drain. That's why sanitizing the tank is important. It kills all the bacteria that might be growing in the sediment in the bottom of the tank. Its kind of scary thinking about that sediment sitting there, but in the end, it doesn't hurt anything. I find it interesting that driving with water in the tank very seldom stirs things up enough to cause particles to clog kitchen faucets. But it does happen. So, really... how much "gunk" is really in the bottom of the tank? Probably not much, if any.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 11:57 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The early Montanas (and your 2001 qualifies) had no support for the fresh water (or holding) tanks. Newer Montanas do have some support. I believe the tank is removable, but it has been a while since I was under one. There should be supporting brackets under the lips of the tank. One should have bolts holding it in place. Remove the bolts, and slide the bracket out of the way and this may allow the tank to shift and be removed (this ignores the various plumbing lines which have to be dealt with).

Many have added support brackets to the holding tanks. They are of a different construction (ABS type?) and really flex a lot The water tank is made stronger (polyethylene?) than a holding tank. But it still sags when full.

P.S. It would help get more relevant answers to your questions if you added your Montana year and model to your Signature. That info will then be added to every Post you make. Go to https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...t=70323&page=2 and read Post #23 to learn how.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sag, tank, water