Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Wally Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #20592
Water Tank Capacity

We have had our 3950BR for over year, but I had not attempted to completely fill the water tank until sanitizing it today. Although the specs state a 66 gallon tank, it overflows out the vent at.44 gallons. Did somebody goof or iare there 20 gallons that won’t drain out?

Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Dad View Post
We have had our 3950BR for over year, but I had not attempted to completely fill the water tank until sanitizing it today. Although the specs state a 66 gallon tank, it overflows out the vent at.44 gallons. Did somebody goof or iare there 20 gallons that won’t drain out?

How did you measure 44 gallons? Was the tank completely empty to start with? Our specs also show a 66 gallon fresh tank, but I've never thought to check it's capacity, though it holds a lot of water.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
Wally Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #20592
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
How did you measure 44 gallons? Was the tank completely empty to start with? Our specs also show a 66 gallon fresh tank, but I've never thought to check it's capacity, though it holds a lot of water.
I have a small water meter that attaches to a hose. In prepping for sanitizing, I emptied the fresh water tank and drained the water at the low points too. Going from empty to full took 44 gals. The meter may not be highly accurate, but I doubt it’s off by that much.
Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I have filled ours and it holds 66 gallons. I have one of those meters and mine is off. I have the Sea level gages so I had to calibrate it. I put one gallon at a time and it holds 66 gallons.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchief View Post
I have filled ours and it holds 66 gallons. I have one of those meters and mine is off. I have the Sea level gages so I had to calibrate it. I put one gallon at a time and it holds 66 gallons.
Talk about patience
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Fill a smaller container of known capacity (five gallon bucket) using the gauge and compare it with the reading.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
It is possible somebody screwed up at the plant and installed the wrong tank.

Unlikely... but possible.

And yes, your small water meter could be that inaccurate. Is it a cheap chinese made device you bought off Amazon? I'm not judging you.... just saying don't rule out anything as to why your results varied so much from what you expected. I had a cheap water meter with a shutoff for watering my lawn back in the day that I set for 200 gallons per application. the following month I got the water bill.... tossed that sucker in the trash and bought better one. Of course the city water metering device could be off too, but I admit I bought a cheap water meter... draw your own conclusions.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Or put 5 gallon bucket under tank drain and drain 5 gals at a time. Then you’ll know how much is in that tank from full to empty
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Dad View Post
Are you sure that your RV was level when you emptied the tank? Prior to departing our last camp site I emptied all tanks...or so I thought, gauge read empty and fluids stopped flowing. The RV was apparently leaning curbside and not towards the drain outlet or even level. When we got back the S&B I discovered that the tanks were NOT empty and I had probably ten gallons or so left in the black water tank.
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote