Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
GrahamLock
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25190
Propane issue

We parked our 2021 unit last fall with both propane tanks full and open. Tanks are still full, but it is now cold in Alberta. When we tried to light the furnace, only Tuscan came on. So I checked the regulator and change over valve. The valve was showing half red and half green. Nothing I tried resolved it. Any ideas ??

GrahamLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:11 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
After a lay off, I always turn on the stove until it lights. Then try the frig, water heater, etc.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:48 PM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The valve should be all green if it is getting full pressure. How do you know the tanks are full?
Old 01-02-2022, 04:13 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Try turning off the tanks, removing them, then reconnect and very slowly turn on each tank. Make sure and open the tank's valve very slowly. Sometimes opening the valve too fast will create a quick pressure on the regulator and somehow cause a problem. I'm not a propane expert so I don't really know what causes it, but I've had this happen before.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:41 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
A couple things could be going on.

First, you could have a leak and NOT know it. On our previous travel trailer I had a propane tank that ran out of propane, even when it was shut off. It did this for 5 years. I never, never smelled gas. I tried the soap bubble test on everything multiple times, and when we traded the trailer, that tank went with the trailer. I told the dealer about it, he said no problem changing the value for the trade.

So, it's possible you have a leak somewhere and just can't find it yet.

Second. On other forum posts where a similar occurrence would a happen, I always made the suggestion that the regulator, or the gas line near the regulator is simply frozen because of the cold weather. I've been criticized sharply by more knowledgeable people who say that can NEVER happen simply because of the very nature of the gas.

Yet, I have seen and experienced first hand, on many occasions, where city gas lines coming into houses (and churches) have frozen causing the gas flow to stop.

The last time I witnessed this was some time ago when the outside temps in Central Indiana dropped to around zero and below. We were going to Sunday night services and about 10 of the men of the church were all huddled around the outside of the building. They had built a temporary, make shift shelter out of plywood and tarp and had heaters blowing on the gas meter and regulator. One more cook in the kitchen would have not have helped anything, especially since they all had everything under control, so I just stood back and watched, I helped take my turn monitoring the heaters, and we all cycled back and forth between freezing out side and reviving with coffee and hot chocolate.

Then, even last winter, we were in Northern Alabama when temps dropped below freezing for a few day and several folks started having problems with their furnaces and were outside with blow hair dryers blowing heat on their regulators.

So, no one will ever tell me that that the gas pressure regulator on your propane tanks are not affected by cold and will "never" freeze up.

The third possibility is, because of the cold, the pressure inside the tank simply dropped. It might be completely full of propane, but in the cold, the pressure dropped enough it doesn't have enough "umph" right now to run the appliances in the trailer. Think in terms of how pressure changes in your automobile tires. When it's cold, they can drop 5 or 10 pounds. Doing nothing to them, if it heats up to 100 degrees, they may be 5 or 10 pounds over pressure. (Maybe not that extreme, but you know what I mean.)

I do know from using BBQ grills with propane tanks, when it's zero degrees outside, they don't work very well.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:07 PM   #6
GrahamLock
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25190
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Try turning off the tanks, removing them, then reconnect and very slowly turn on each tank. Make sure and open the tank's valve very slowly. Sometimes opening the valve too fast will create a quick pressure on the regulator and somehow cause a problem. I'm not a propane expert so I don't really know what causes it, but I've had this happen before.
This worked perfectly. Thank you very much.
GrahamLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Glad it's working!
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post

I knew this many years ago but forgot! I had one tank not working at all 2 years ago. Propane dealer that wouldn't sell propane because corporate said no because of covid. But he reminded me of this and it worked. Hopefully I never forget again!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:34 PM   #9
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamLock View Post
We parked our 2021 unit last fall with both propane tanks full and open. Tanks are still full, but it is now cold in Alberta. When we tried to light the furnace, only Tuscan came on. So I checked the regulator and change over valve. The valve was showing half red and half green. Nothing I tried resolved it. Any ideas ??
More than likely the tanks were overfilled, and the everything is frozen. Put a 100 watt lightbulb near the regulator to unfreeze things.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote