Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2022, 06:43 PM   #21
TGT
Established Member

M.O.C. #30211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttman View Post
Here are some of my other upgrades
Thanks for the info, I agree on the cost of the trucks today, I refuse to buy new, and hate all the emissions crap they have strapped on diesels. Is cheaper to put money in my 2004 than to even buy a couple year old unit. My daily driver is a 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Laramie 4x4 with 135k on it (yes it's a HEMI!). Bought two trucks off COPART the cab/chassis was sideswiped entire length of passenger side, other was a dealer trade in with blown 4.7. Stripped the wrecked Laramie down to bare chassis and cab, transferred all sheet metal from the other truck that was from central Texas and 100% rust free. So have a fully optioned Laramie 4x4 with 0 rust (unheard of in OHIO) for a total of $8500. I see you have a 3280RL, am embarrassed that I can't type, mine is actually a 3380RL. No idea why I kept typing 3280???

TGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:22 PM   #22
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
No worries on the model being off your camper is old enough to be similar to mine, and they look similar back then, minimal graphics and lots of white. Lol

I wish I had a situation growing where my dad could have taught me to work on vehicles, but thats not the case, so I am stuck paying someone to do most mechanical stuff for me for a lot of things. I’m mechanically inclined enough to follow a YouTube video and do anything, with some tech assistance but I lack the experience and diagnosis skills for a lot of things on engines and transmissions.

We bought our camper with the sole purpose of doing customizations. We only had the one 15K AC but after a 3 day July trip in Missouri last year parked on very close quarter asphalt pad that was a converted parking lot turned camping spot, and being positioned broad side to the sun with absolutely no shade or breeze the wife decided we had to have a second AC.

The second AC led me down the path that while the brochure said it was prewired for a second AC, and the distribution box had a knock out spot labeled “2nd AC, there was no 2nd AC prep at all, and the distribution box was only 45amps which wouldn’t support the second AC even if it was wire prepped. I worked out a deal with an RV guy to install the AC sometime this Feb or March before we start using it again if I would run the power wire. It wasn’t hard, just had to remove the bedroom dresser, over head cabinet, and the sliding door so I could open the stub wall and fish the wire. Thank goodness for magnetic fish tapes to get me under the AC duct work. Power wire and thermostat wire are ran waiting for the AC install. I could have done it, but I wanted the tech to do it incase I have any warranty issues.
Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:39 AM   #23
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGT View Post
Thanks for the info, I agree on the cost of the trucks today, I refuse to buy new, and hate all the emissions crap they have strapped on diesels. Is cheaper to put money in my 2004 than to even buy a couple year old unit. My daily driver is a 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Laramie 4x4 with 135k on it (yes it's a HEMI!). Bought two trucks off COPART the cab/chassis was sideswiped entire length of passenger side, other was a dealer trade in with blown 4.7. Stripped the wrecked Laramie down to bare chassis and cab, transferred all sheet metal from the other truck that was from central Texas and 100% rust free. So have a fully optioned Laramie 4x4 with 0 rust (unheard of in OHIO) for a total of $8500. I see you have a 3280RL, am embarrassed that I can't type, mine is actually a 3380RL. No idea why I kept typing 3280???
I agree about the DEF crap we have to put up with. However, I went from a 2004 Chevy to a 2012. That was a noticeable improvement in ride and exhaust fumes. New one has no odor at all except in regen mode and then only a little bit. At 50,000 miles my DEF acted up while on the road. Found a near dealer and under warranty replace tank, sensors, etc. Extended warranty to 100 or 120K miles But have also recently replace 2 computer boards and some sensors for $2000!!! Was regenning every 80 to 200 miles. Oh well.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:43 AM   #24
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
HBlick48 - So what you are saying is you still have the original walls and frame! LOL
As to LED bulbs, I tried putting them in the back small lights over the chairs. The originals were 400 lumens. The LED bulbs that were supposed to replace them were only 320. I couldn't see to read. So I got a 40 W flourescent light with remote control. About twice as bright in the back end now.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 01-22-2022, 10:26 AM   #25
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Twindman - Almost. Carpet and cabinets are still original. Did, however repair frame. Repaired typical frame flex issue at lower bottom bedroom slide, and reinforced pin box welds while it was exposed. Friend is a welder.

I actually enjoy working on rig...keeping it on the road. It's my hobby. Wouldn't make sense if I had to pay for the labor. Problem is my brain thinks I'm still in my 30's but my body doesn't!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #26
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Twindman - Almost. Carpet and cabinets are still original. Did, however repair frame. Repaired typical frame flex issue at lower bottom bedroom slide, and reinforced pin box welds while it was exposed. Friend is a welder.

I actually enjoy working on rig...keeping it on the road. It's my hobby. Wouldn't make sense if I had to pay for the labor. Problem is my brain thinks I'm still in my 30's but my body doesn't!
I hear you there! I have started paying for stuff I did myself 5 years ago. I could still do it, but I get too sore contorting myself on ladders, or climbing around on top and underneath.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 01-28-2022, 10:07 AM   #27
TGT
Established Member

M.O.C. #30211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttman View Post
Here are some of my other upgrades
Thanks much for the pics and the ideas, ours is probably not going to see the road again for a long time till our house gets finished in about five years. I figure we will be living in the Montana full time at some point for up to a year as we are getting the house built. Maybe by then, one of the Master Suite Montana's will be reasonable in price and I can move up!

Anyone know the brand of the square roof vents? I need to find new interior trim surrounds.

Anyone replace the oval ceiling lights with an alternate that doesn't look so "camperish"?
TGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #28
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGT View Post

Anyone know the brand of the square roof vents? I need to find new interior trim surrounds.

Anyone replace the oval ceiling lights with an alternate that doesn't look so "camperish"?

Try Trekwood RV, and/or Colaw RV salvage, they have just about everything.
Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote