Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #1
whitesub93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22946
First time fears!

Having fears about pulling out of my place for the first time with my 5th wheel. Anyone else had this?

Old 03-02-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Not sure how to describe it - but I think about it every time I hook up. Nervous? maybe. I can not put "pulling this monster" on auto-pilot. I have made plenty of stupid moves and turns that I wish I had approached differently. Fortunately no damage to anything or anyone. I find that I really have to focus on turns and passing and entering a freeway ramp and backing up...hooking up...un-hooking - everything! So - yes - I know what you mean.

But it gets better with more experience. You should pull it out on a test run and practice backing up in an empty parking lot. Learning how to make the turns so that the RV does not run over a curb takes practice.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Advice on turning. I always use every bit of room available. i.e. If turning left from a 4 lane to a 2 lane - pull thru the intersection as far as possible and then turn really hard. That gives the rig axles time to get past any center dividers, etc. Sort of the same thing on right turns - take as much space as allowed. And if the next street is a 4 lane also, then turn onto the right hand lane (on left turns) -again giving your rig as much room as possible.
Backing up is another issue! At first I practiced and had quite a few back in sites, so I kind of got okay at it. But the last 8-10 years I always look for pullthrus and am out of practice.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
One more thing. Drive slowly in rv parks. My first time I was driving down the row and kind of wheeled into the site with out slowing way down. I scraped a tree limb along the upper side wall. I was lucky as I was able to just scrub the mark off the wall - no damage.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
On turns I take both lanes. Right down the middle of the road I'm on and then into the lane I want after the turn.

WATCH YOUR HEIGHT!!!
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:52 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Good advice from all. We have all had the initial fears. It gets better with every pull. Take your time and you'll do fine.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:09 PM   #7
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I believe you've gotten some very good advice so far.

A couple of things I would add is refueling while towing; go through a truck stop and refuel with the semis. Most of these places have pumps for DEF also, cheaper and don't have to mess with that silly jug. I would highly recommend getting some traffic cones and set up a simulated back in at a large parking lot somewhere so you get used to turn radius and how quickly the trailer reacts to the steering wheel. If you're planning on having your spouse direct you backing into a camp site; a good back up camera is much cheaper than divorce lawyers!

There's no shame in booking a pull-through site. Keep in mind that most any problem you encounter we've all been there before.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:30 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
This is my first 5er and I've pulled it 3 times. Once home from the dealership and it's first trip out and back. I wasn't to worried about towing, merging etc. I was however concerned about backing in and parking it. A guy once told me (small slow moves). It took me an hour and a half to pull it into my circular driveway and back it into its spot. On it's madden voyage I nailed the back in at the camp spot. That gave me the confidence I needed and I was able to park it at home in 15 minuets. I'm not going to lie, it's super intimidating for the first minuet or so
Old 03-02-2022, 09:41 PM   #9
Champ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20905
For about the first half an hour of every road trip I’m a little nervous as I run the entire hook-up process through my head several times. Eventually I forget that it’s back there and get surprised when I look in the rearview mirror.

2018 Montana 3120RL
2017 Ford F-350
Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:01 PM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I've never had that fear. I would suggest overcoming that fear before hitting the road and endangering yourself and more importantly, others. Perhaps practicing with an experienced driver to build confidence.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:42 AM   #11
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I think some of us are intimidated by different things. I used to haul equipment for a contracting company. Dozers, excavators etc on lowboys, flatbeds and beaver tails. So backing up, turns maneuvering in tight spaces etc doesn’t bother me. I find now that I get a little stressed by the disrespect shown by other drivers while pulling Monty. Their dodging in and out of lanes and running down the passing lanes then cutting us off to jump off an exit, running right up behind us then slamming on the brakes at the last second when they realize they can’t pass that guy in the left lane by coming around on the right, all that kind of stuff. It didn’t seem to bother me as much when i was working. Maybe because I’m older now or maybe because instead of my lunch box and hard hat in the passenger seat, the love of my life sits there now. Either way, I start every move the same way I did when driving those 80k pounders. With a little prayer to myself. Simply “Dear Lord, bless me with the knowledge, ability and patience to keep me safe, and all of those around me”. It settles me right in and ready to roll.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:43 AM   #12
whitesub93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22946
Thanks to all for the advice. I have pulled 2 different 5th wheels a few times but not the size of this one. the other 2 were about 8-10 feet shorter and not as tall. Thanks again, just have to jump in and do it!
Old 03-03-2022, 07:32 AM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I do not call my experience a "fear" when getting ready to hitch up and tow, it's more of an uncomfortable anticipation. I towed travel trailers, up to 35 feet long all my life and never gave them a second though. But when we got the 41 foot fifth wheel, it was a different animal. (Not better, not worse, just different ... let me clarify that!).

But, with experience comes a sense of confidence in time. Even after 3 years of fifth wheel ownership now, even after thousands and thousands of miles of towing, traveling, backing, navigating gas stations, campgrounds, and even some very tight and uncomfortable parking lots, there is STILL an unsteady anticipation every time I get ready to hitch up.

I think what you are experiencing is perfectly normal and OK. It's better to be a bit cautious and alert to everything, that have the over confidence that everything is ok, mundane, and routine. When you reach that level of confidence, that's when things are forgotten, missed, and the OH DUH CRAP moments happen!

You'll do just fine. Relax, take a deep breath, and visualize success doing it. And you will!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #14
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
You need to try and put your mind at ease towing as fear can be a big handicap and make things worse in a tight situation. I've been towing since 63, everything from a utility trailer, car on a tow bar to equipment trailer. I've only had 2 5th wheels the present one is 32' but I have a bumper pull car hauler that is 38' which I regularly pull at least 5K mi. a yr

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:32 PM   #15
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Your going to be fine take your time go to a safe place and practice pulling it and turning and backing that will help you over come the issue’s
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:39 PM   #16
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Sound advice above..............and would like to add:

1. Fill up your truck the day BEFORE you leave to avoid a fuel stop after leaving the park.

2. Do a tug test with the fifth wheel trailer attached to the hitch to confirm the king pin is securely attached to the hitch BEFORE you leave the site.

3. Check trailer lights, signals and brake lights are functional, and doors and compartments are locked BEFORE you leave the site.

4. Do not be afraid of asking your neighbors to move their vehicle, if you need the turning space. Campers are used to accommodating their camping neighbors, when they are parking and leaving sites.

5. Do not be afraid to ask your neighbors with fifth wheel trailers to guide you out OR be a spotter, if your wife or traveling companion cannot do that.

6. When you pull out of the site pull forward to the opposite side of the road as far as you can then slowly start making a sharp turn. This will ensure you do not run the trailer over or hit any camp site obstacles like site barriers (railroad ties, etc.), posts, rocks, landscaping, trees, etc. as you make the turn.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:53 PM   #17
rgcanoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #23249
First timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesub93 View Post
Having fears about pullinout of my place for the first time with my 5th wheel. Anyone else had this?
Take it to a local campground set it up and spend a day or two there. You willl learn what to do. Next time go further away
rgcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #18
Majorpolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #19958
When backing get on your phone with your spotter. And take your time. Always use a spotter. Train your spotter don’t assume they know what they are doing.
Majorpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:04 PM   #19
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
My 2 cents

I’m more like Champ and Camp than Montana Man. I’m nervous before every trip (if it’s been more than 30 days since the last). We’ve developed a pretty solid departure list we adhere to, so I don’t worry about that stuff. Once I’m on the trip, to this day, I see every bridge and every “low” limb. Good call on the asking people to move their car on departure! Have done it many times. I make sure I have plenty of swing room for departures. We’re coming up on 10 years and going safe and strong.
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:07 AM   #20
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Stop at a T shirt shop and pick up a couple of the shirts that say "Please forgive me for what I said when I was backing up the camper" and wear them! Then, laugh about when you set around the fire forgiving each other!
Make those memories! Forgive and forget! You need to learn to crawl before you can walk, the anxiety will subside after a few trips!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote