Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2024, 08:35 AM   #1
debymay65

M.O.C. #34196
Unhappy wirin g diagram for 3295RK

I need a wiring diagram for a 2003 Montana 3295RK fifth wheel.
The power hookup from outside of camper has power but no power to breaker box. I have 4 wires at plug in, but only 2 at breaker box (Red & white wire). It was working fine, but when putting slides in, a small pop and everything stopped working. Where do I start my search?

debymay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:44 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard! Glad you found us. Sadly, you won’t find a wiring diagram for any of our rigs. In 2003 I’m not sure the wiring was even color coded. Unfortunately that means chasing wires the old fashioned way by opening up access panels, pulling out the breaker panel, and using a multimeter.

Hopefully someone here will have some familiarity with your rig and point you in the right direction.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:46 AM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by debymay65 View Post
I need a wiring diagram for a 2003 Montana 3295RK fifth wheel.
The power hookup from outside of camper has power but no power to breaker box. I have 4 wires at plug in, but only 2 at breaker box (Red & white wire). It was working fine, but when putting slides in, a small pop and everything stopped working. Where do I start my search?
Unfortunately there are no wiring schematics. Start at the shore power cord. The power cord will run directly to the breaker box or your transfer switch. if equipped. If you have a transfer switch, the shore power will come form it to the breaker box. You will have 4 wires. White, black, red and green. Green is ground, white is natural, black 120 volt leg 1 and red 120 volt leg 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50 amp wiring.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	16885   Click image for larger version

Name:	TS.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	16886  
Old 04-18-2024, 09:58 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A 2003 is pretty old and before many of the new features. I doubt there is a transfer switch as they are installed with a generator. And on-board generators were rare in the time. If there is a aluminum enclosure (for a generator) in the front compartment; then there is a possibility of of having a transfer switch. No enclosure; no transfer switch.

Another difference is early Montanas had a different 50 amp configuration. They had one leg of 30 amp and a second leg of 20 amps for a total of 50 amps. Today's Montanas have two legs of 50 amps each for a total of 100 amps.

The power flow is pretty straight forward. The first thing I would do is unscrew the receptacle from the rear of the Montana and check there is voltage going through the receptacle.

Assuming there is power through the rear plug, next the wiring goes to the breaker box (no transfer switch). L1 and L2 (the red and white wires)? each connect to a main circuit breaker. Ensure there is 120V at each breaker.

It sure seems like the rear receptacle is faulty.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 02:46 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As Carl mentioned older Montanas had a 30 amp breaker for one leg and 20 amp for the other leg rather than the later 50 amp two pole breaker. And I seem to remember 2003 being of that vintage. Not sure when they changed. A picture would help.

I would look in the breaker panel at those 30 and 50 amp breakers and check for power to the line side. A few years ago someone posted a picture of a similar arrangement with several burned wires there.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 01:21 PM   #6
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I have a 2004 3295 RK and have been through it from one end to the other. If yours has the 50 A connection on the back left corner, and the load center just inside the door on your right, I have the same thing.

Your wire color explanation makes no sense to me. Mine both the red and black go straight to the load canter and are connected to a 50A breaker.

If it “popped” when you were pulling the slides in, perhaps somehow the slide mechanism hooked the 50 amp line going through the belly and damaged it in some way.

Let us know what you figure out please.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote