Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2021, 05:15 PM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Roof Rack (Truck)

Has anyone out there added a roof rack to their tow vehicle (mine is shown in footer)? Wanting to haul a small kayak.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
I went with a Yakima roof mount system. Installed on 2015 F-350 ccsb about 4 years ago. 2 rails installed the length of the roof, then location adjustable cross bars shaped like an airfoil. Saddle mounts for the kayaks. Adjustable straps to hold the kayaks down. The saddles can be removed if other items, bikes, cargo cage, etc are to be carried. A really solid install.
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
One issue we found with roof racks is that the truck roof was weight limited. I have a 12’ Hobie Outback that weighs 85 lbs. I started with a Thule rack and Goal Post in a front hitch to make the roof weight requirement with two bicycles and a kayak. So, the new truck wasn’t capable of a front hitch. So, we purchased a US Rack fifth wheel kayak rack. Pricey, but I can carry two bicycles with my Hobie in between. I load from the bed, so I got a Pullrite 3900 hitch so I could get to a clean bed without two people and a hoist. I fish kayak fishing tournaments and launch is in the dark. When we set up the camper, I take out the hitch and then put the kayak in the truck bed. At rally this year I saw 3 or 4 US Racks. Let us know what you end up with.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Schweizer View Post
I went with a Yakima roof mount system. Installed on 2015 F-350 ccsb about 4 years ago. 2 rails installed the length of the roof, then location adjustable cross bars shaped like an airfoil. Saddle mounts for the kayaks. Adjustable straps to hold the kayaks down. The saddles can be removed if other items, bikes, cargo cage, etc are to be carried. A really solid install.
Thanks Keith, how do the rails that run "the length of the roof" mount to the roof?
Old 12-27-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
One issue we found with roof racks is that the truck roof was weight limited. I have a 12’ Hobie Outback that weighs 85 lbs. I started with a Thule rack and Goal Post in a front hitch to make the roof weight requirement with two bicycles and a kayak. So, the new truck wasn’t capable of a front hitch. So, we purchased a US Rack fifth wheel kayak rack. Pricey, but I can carry two bicycles with my Hobie in between. I load from the bed, so I got a Pullrite 3900 hitch so I could get to a clean bed without two people and a hoist. I fish kayak fishing tournaments and launch is in the dark. When we set up the camper, I take out the hitch and then put the kayak in the truck bed. At rally this year I saw 3 or 4 US Racks. Let us know what you end up with.
Thanks Ron, I watched a video on the US Rack and don't think it will work with my bed cover (Bakflip).
Old 12-27-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Baldicon, The rails are fastened directly to the roof with stainless steel screws. I did have some hesitation at first about drilling holes into the roof, but the tech said the method they use keeps the install water tight. I have not had ANY issues with this method. When not using the rails I take them off along with the hardware that is attached to the rail with stainless steel machine thread bolts.
The Hardware supports the kayaks with a "palm" like support from 4 points. So the kayaks will sit upright when traveling. 2 Kayaks can be mounted on the roof. Each kayak is strapped down with 2 straps. Front and rear straps are also used to keep kayak secured.
A little more drag when towing, but not as much as the 5er.

Best of luck in your search, Keith
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When we purchased (new) our current truck (in signature below), I seriously considered a roof mounted carrier so we could transport our canoe. Before our Fifth Wheel Days, we transported the canoe on top of the truck bed shell that had ladder racks. It worked wonderful with a travel trailer. But when we got the fifth wheel, installing a rack system on the roof of the truck was about the only option we had.

Well, I finally abandoned that idea when I realized that little short antenna stuck up just a bit too far. Sliding the canoe over the top of the roof and hitting that antenna was something I didn't want to chance. So, I never installed the rack. And ... the canoe stays home now. However, we do have another truck and a utility trailer, and when camping close to home (anywhere in Indiana), we'll take the second truck with us, tow the utility trailer with the canoe in it. We usually do this when our son and grandson camp with us. He'll drive the smaller truck and tow the utility trailer with the canoe. This has been our work-around.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #8
texastwostep
Established Member

M.O.C. #18893
We went with a Thule roof rack which has clips that secure it to the door lip. It works very well. However, I had to buy a work platform about 2 ft high to allow me to easily load/unload the bikes. Inevitably, this type of mount will cause some wear around the mounting area. Also, this thing was danged expensive. It does have a lot options (extra $) that allow it tp be used for cargo, kayaks, etc. FYI, with a roof mount all the road debris that misses your truck will use whatever is up there as a secondary target.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:02 PM   #9
Empty Nest
Established Member

M.O.C. #20737
Yakima cross bars

Using the Yakima crossbars with the j hooks mounted at the outer edges hauling two 10’ boats. We can stack two more in the middle centered on the racks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FCCDCBE1-BE9C-40DB-BED8-4827F1226D0F.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	10867
Empty Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:06 PM   #10
TK1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Has anyone out there added a roof rack to their tow vehicle (mine is shown in footer)? Wanting to haul a small kayak.

Thanks in advance
We faced this question and decided after looking at several different rack types both truck and trailer mounted to go with an inflatable kayak from Sea Eagle. The kayak comes with a carrying bag that holds the kayak and all the accessories and it fits in the front storage compartment of 3400RL.
TK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #11
Jts140
Established Member

M.O.C. #13958
Yes keep my bikes up there

2015 GMC DRW 3500
2014 3625RE
Jts140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:02 PM   #12
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
I have a US Rack over the cab of our F350. I haul a 10.5 ft Port Bote and a collapsible pvc trailer for the boat on top. It has been a great solution to taking a boat along with a fifth wheel. Down side is that I have not been able to find a bed cover that will work with it. Trade off is worth being able to take the boat. US Rack has been great to work with on modifications also.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:10 PM   #13
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Does the US Rack touch or sit on the truck roof or is it supported only by the bed brace?

Does the rack cause an increase in wind noise? How about with kayaks on it?
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:33 PM   #14
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
There are 2 lengths. I have the longer one and it has a pad on each side to allow it to either rest on the roof , depending on the load, or keep it from bouncing on the roof. Once I load my boat and trailer I will adjust the pads so it sits on the roof and it has worked well for the past 4 years. I also added pool noodles to be a better pad. I would encourage you to call them and talk to Chris Greene the President of the company. He worked with me on several variations that I asked for . If you need more info you are welcome to PM me and I will give you my cell and be happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:04 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Per the directions, it is not supposed to rest on the roof. It is cantilevered over the roof. There are 4 Allen bolts that “clamp” the unit to the bed rails. I carry a 12’ Hobie Outback (82 lbs) plus (2) road bikes of about another 30 lbs. I use a Malone cradle on the back and a foam block on the front. The standard size is 5’, and I also went with the longer 6’ size. To put it on and take it off, I use a Harbor Freight electric hoist attached to my garage ceiling. Yes, you do get some wind noise, but not terrible. They do have a wind foil, but I haven’t tried it. The kayak loads from the back, which is why I selected the Pullrite 3900 to get to a clean bed. Be aware that US Rack does not come with bike rack attachment. I modified my existing Thule bars and rack to fit, so I didn’t need to invest for things I already had.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:39 PM   #16
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Never been much for reading directions. Supposed to be approx 250-300 lb limit for the rack also. With a load I have found that a strong headwind will get it to bouncing if it is not resting on the roof. It may be that my boat is acting like a wing and causing the bounce since it is folded. As I said it has worked really well since I bought it. I leave it on all the time and avoid having to hoist it off and on. Call Chris and tell him what you want to do and ask him for suggestions.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #17
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Thanks for the info,
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote