Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2022, 09:29 AM   #1
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Shower Pan Flex

Hi Folks!

This is potentially paranoid rambling, but I wanted to check and see if other people had seen this issue and a potential repair. I noticed today that when stepping on our shower, there appeared to be a small amount of flex in the floor. This is not near the drain, but midway between the edge and the center of the pan. The pan is fiberglass, and appears to be well-supported near the drain. There is no access panel in the bathroom, and the only opening from below that I can find is where the drain line runs to the grey tank (and only has an inch or so opening around that so I can't really see inside to check.

Is there any other way to check for support under the rest of the floor, or bulk up the existing support without taking out the shower or drilling another access hole in the floor? I had read about adding shims or expanding foam, but I think I would need to be able to see where to add them. The flex is super minor, and only when stepping on one spot.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I don't think there is anyway to get there except to remove the shower. On the other hand most rigs have that and few have an issue with cracking. If it does crack, the fiberglass tub repair kit from Amazon does a great job of fixing it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:56 AM   #3
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Dick,

Thanks for your response. The flex has probably always been there, and it's really no more than any of the other bits of the camper that sometimes flex when you walk on them. I had a minor crack last summer that was due to something falling and chipping, which I used the tub repair kit to fix. I placed a hygrometer under the tub so I can monitor the humidity, but so far it's been as dry as the rest of the camper.

Sometimes I just need someone here to tell me "don't worry about that, kid".
Old 01-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #4
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Smith View Post
Dick,

Thanks for your response. The flex has probably always been there, and it's really no more than any of the other bits of the camper that sometimes flex when you walk on them. I had a minor crack last summer that was due to something falling and chipping, which I used the tub repair kit to fix. I placed a hygrometer under the tub so I can monitor the humidity, but so far it's been as dry as the rest of the camper.

Sometimes I just need someone here to tell me "don't worry about that, kid".
same happened to me after I retired, then I realized I put on about 15lbs, dieted, walked, lost the 15 and now shower is fixed

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
gmstrom
Site Team

M.O.C. #11318
Hey Dick,
I do have a crack in the tub floor. Do you recall the name or manufacturer of the product you were referring too? There are several items on Amazon.
Thanks,
Glenn
gmstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:00 PM   #6
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Glenn, I think I used https://smile.amazon.com/Gelcoat-Pro...NsaWNrPXRydWU=. The color might have been different though.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
[QUOTE=gmstrom;1242150]Hey Dick,
I do have a crack in the tub floor. Do you recall the name or manufacturer of the product you were referring too? There are several items on Amazon.
Thanks,
Glenn[/QUOT

Pretty sure I used this one: https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-Epoxy-...2&sr=8-13&th=1
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
OK, I'll do that for you:

"don't worry about that, kid".
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
You can get an endoscope that plugs into your phone, then put the camera up into shower pan drain hole cavity in the basement to check the underside of the pan.
To support it, maybe use some spray foam and the straw that comes with it to put just a little bit into the cavity under the shower pan. Too much and the foam could lift the whole pan.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:28 PM   #10
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Andy, be thankful you have a fiberglass shower tub. Mine in my 2013 is plastic. First one lasted less than three years, second one 7 years and I am now replacing it...after re-enforcing it with fiberglass tape and resin to make it the last time I have to do it. And yes, you have to take apart the bathroom to get any improvement over what you have. If your tub really is fiberglass, a little flex will not cause issues. If your unit is really plastic like mine than you will or maybe won't have any issues in the future. John
Old 01-16-2022, 03:09 PM   #11
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
My 2013 had a fiberglass floor that was so thin and ended up cracking as well. While patching I recall that it was very thin fiberglass, and was 'supported' underneath with styrofoam or something similar, which ended up giving way over time. A fiberglass patch did not work very well, as the underlying problem of a lack of support was never solved. I keep bandaiding it with 3M fastcure 5200, and painted the whole basin with Flex Seal liquid rubber. Not sure how long that will hold up, but I am hesitant to pull the entire thing out and start over. This is our house, and not having a shower for a week or two while the bathroom gets remodeled is not an ideal situation for us...
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #12
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
If the area of the shower pan that flexes is located between floor joists, you could cut a 1 1/2" track in the floor at that spot about 4" long. Insert a 2x4 up into that track, and while holding it up against the bottom of the tub, mark a line along the side of the 2x4 along the bottom of the RV floor. Cut the excess off the 2x4. Then cut a piece of 3/4" plywood so it overlaps the track you cut by 2 inches on all sides . Glue and screw that 2x4 to the piece of plywood. Then insert the 2x4 up into the track and glue and screw the plywood to the underneath side of the floor. I would use Titebond waterproof glue. This should give you extra support at that spot.

My shower was plastic and cracked. I had to replace my base. There was 3/4" styrofoam under my old and new bases which crushed with use. I removed the styrofoam from the under side of my new base and cleaned off the glue that it was attached with. I replaced the styrofoam with a piece of 3/4" rubber matt from Tractor Supply. Seems like better support and has been lasting so far.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:19 PM   #13
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I used A small piece of Eternabond on the small crack near the drain
A little ugly but the wife doesn’t mind so all is good
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote