Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
MUSKOKA1
Established Member

M.O.C. #30152
Exclamation New Owner - Joined MOG today

Hello,
Ken J here.
Purchased a 2018 a 3721RL from PPL in Cleburne, TX. 2015 GMC 3500 diesel dually is the tow vehicle.
Immediately after closing the purchase headed out to Halifax, Nova Scotia where today, I'm enjoying the first snowfall of the season while parked in a KOA.

My question: I'm connected to 50 AMP service and the inverter is shut off. The fresh, grey and black heaters [blue lights on the service panel] had been illuminated for several days, but now are dark - in the ON position. After shutting them OFF for several hours, when I push any of the switches to ON, I get only a faint blue illumination. Pushing any of the other 2 switches kills the illumination totally.

Are the tank heaters 12V, not 120V? My batteries are showing zero charge.

Any inputs greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MUSKOKA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:57 PM   #2
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Those tank heaters are 12 volt so if your batteries are dead they won’t work

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:05 PM   #3
MUSKOKA1
Established Member

M.O.C. #30152
Hi Don & Sandy -
Thank you for that information. I appreciate the fast response.
As a follow-up, I notice that a converter is plugged in to the inverter. Is there a way to charge the batteries using a system within the coach; or ______?
Old 11-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #4
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
If you are plugged into shore power that should charge your batteries through your inverter charger in your rig. Also make sure your battery cut off switch is on in convenience center. It’s the big red key.if it’s on you won’t be able to take it out

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:46 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! All the above is good advise and it sounds like you will have to also replace your battery. Drawing them all the way down usually kills them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA1 View Post
Hi Don & Sandy -
Thank you for that information. I appreciate the fast response.
As a follow-up, I notice that a converter is plugged in to the inverter. Is there a way to charge the batteries using a system within the coach; or ______?
Are you sure the Converter is plugged into the Inverter? The Converter is integrated into the Power Distribution unit. There is no plug.

The plug in your Inverter most likely is for the Residential Refer.

It sounds like (and as others have said), the disconnect switch in the convenience center is in the wrong position. If the Red Key can be removed, the batteries are disconnected and not being charged by the Converter.

Additionally, check the voltage at the batteries after disconnecting the shore power for about 15 mins. Batteries that have been totally discharged are fatally damaged and will need to be replaced.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:30 PM   #7
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
possibly a fuse for the converter/charger in the distribution panel mine has a green light you can see by the mode button it should be lite or at least blinking i believe. do you know what distribution panel you have in there? here is a troubleshooting guide dont know if this helps just a guide

https://www.progressivedyn.com/pdfs/...LESHOOTING.pdf

al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
MUSKOKA1
Established Member

M.O.C. #30152
Thanks for that info. The battery disconnect is positioned correctly. So I suspect the problem is likely one of the situations you described. More study required at this end.
I don't know the battery health prior to my purchase of the rig, so checking that is a next step.
I'm also trying this: Prior to connecting a brand new surge protector, I had plenty of voltage in the battery. The SP showed a voltage problem indicator right from the get go. So I've plugged in again w/o the surge protector and already I'm getting some signs of life on the tank heater switches indicator light.
So we'll see where this goes. I'm hoping that in time, the inverter will stay on when I push the on/off button. At present, it simply cycles on and off with an LED message code that's unreadable.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #9
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
if the surge guard ems was removed and now it is working there may be a possiblly of something wrong in the parks pedestal. that protector is doing what it supposed to. maybe unplug and use the protecter again and see if it still is doing the same thing my ems is permanent and gives codes when it is working. does the plug in type give any codes.? could be bad ground or high or low voltage. i would check it using the ems again and if it does the same thing notify the park and or move to another spot. just my thoughts just reread your post and you said it gave you a indication of a voltage problem yes it was doing what it supposed to do. something wrong with the feed from the park my own opinion i would move to another spot so you do not smoke something in your 5th wheel

al meyer
3931fb az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #10
MUSKOKA1
Established Member

M.O.C. #30152
Thanks Al.
All good suggestions. I'll check them out, starting with checking the voltage at the post.
Best,
~ Muskoka1
Old 11-25-2021, 11:20 AM   #11
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
You said you are plugged into shore power...50a. If the battery switch is on then your converter should power all the 12v systems without batteries. I had to put a new converter into our 2018 last summer. You might check the output to see if it's working correctly. My batteries were also bad so I replaced them as well but ran the coach a couple days without any batteries installed with the new converter.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ken, welcome to the MOC. Best of luck with your battery issue. A lot of people don’t stop and realize all of the 12V systems on an RV. They are built to boondock, so you really only have AC, a few lights, microwave, 120V outlets and possibly your fridge if it’s residential on A/C. So, your slides, jacks, pump, tank heaters, furnace, water heater, RV fridge, most lights and anything connected to an inverter are running off of the 12V side. You really should determine quickly if your pedestal is good. Not just voltage but ground, open neutral, etc. If you don’t have good power you are risking damage to your electronics. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #13
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
You mention a surge protector but not clear if it is just a surge protector or an EMS. If it’s NOT an EMS, you need one. A surge protector doesn’t do much for you. You need a good EMS to adequately protect your electrical system. If your battery has been nearly or completely discharged, it’s toast. You should replace with a true deep cycle battery like a golf cart battery. I use a 12v Trojan brand golf cart battery as I do not boon-dock and am always on 50 amp service so I do not need a large reserve (have 150ah). If you want a larger reserve, higher amp hours, I would recommend at least two 6v golf cart batteries as you can achieve higher amp hour reserves. Best way to check battery is to have it load tested after you try to fully charge it. If it won’t take a charge, it will be obvious. Good luck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:49 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Since you have a 3721 that indicates to me you have a residential refrigerator and it is running of your inverter which should be plugged or wired into your converter which breaks down your shore power to 120 and 12 volt systems. The inverter runs the power for your frig. If your battery or batteries have been depleted they are toast and will take a charge but won't last so you might as well purchase new ones. If you do not have two batteries you need two. You must replace both of them if they are toast or even if one of them is bad. If you put a new one in and leave one old one it will only drain the new battery down to the level of the old one and you'll have to replace both of them again anyway. If you've solved your problem or found out what the problem was let us know also because it's great to give out advise to someone asking questions but if we don't know if the problem is solved we won't know if it's been taken care of. I hope it has and you are a Happy Camper once again.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #15
MUSKOKA1
Established Member

M.O.C. #30152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
You mention a surge protector but not clear if it is just a surge protector or an EMS. If it’s NOT an EMS, you need one. A surge protector doesn’t do much for you. You need a good EMS to adequately protect your electrical system. If your battery has been nearly or completely discharged, it’s toast. You should replace with a true deep cycle battery like a golf cart battery. I use a 12v Trojan brand golf cart battery as I do not boon-dock and am always on 50 amp service so I do not need a large reserve (have 150ah). If you want a larger reserve, higher amp hours, I would recommend at least two 6v golf cart batteries as you can achieve higher amp hour reserves. Best way to check battery is to have it load tested after you try to fully charge it. If it won’t take a charge, it will be obvious. Good luck.
Thank you Mikelff. Good advice.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:03 AM   #16
MUSKOKA1
Established Member

M.O.C. #30152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Since you have a 3721 that indicates to me you have a residential refrigerator and it is running of your inverter which should be plugged or wired into your converter which breaks down your shore power to 120 and 12 volt systems. The inverter runs the power for your frig. If your battery or batteries have been depleted they are toast and will take a charge but won't last so you might as well purchase new ones. If you do not have two batteries you need two. You must replace both of them if they are toast or even if one of them is bad. If you put a new one in and leave one old one it will only drain the new battery down to the level of the old one and you'll have to replace both of them again anyway. If you've solved your problem or found out what the problem was let us know also because it's great to give out advise to someone asking questions but if we don't know if the problem is solved we won't know if it's been taken care of. I hope it has and you are a Happy Camper once again.
Thanks Rondo. It turns out that a resetable 50 Amp fuse had blown. It was near the battery. Likely blew when we were struggling w/jammed slides. Fuse replaced. Battery fully charged; and holding. So far, so good.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #17
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
That battery may still serve you for a couple more years but chances are it's life has been cut in half. The original battery in my rig was killed twice when at the dealer and it is still operable after three years though I replaced it with a true deep cycle battery this year.

That should be an auto switch plugged into the inverter and the res fridge plugged into that. When on shore power the inverter is not being used and could actually be turned off.

BTW, welcome to the MOC. As you can see, lots of folks here ready to welcome and help you with issues.

Enjoy the snow. We are in SC right now and enjoying not being in the snow back home in NY.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:18 AM   #18
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Welcome!
Good catch figuring out the bad red self resetting circuit breaker.
The hydraulic system should be on its own 80A circuit breaker. Lippert put out a TSB about that. You can find info about it in the files section.
The fuse for the tank heaters is an inline red one above the hydraulic pump in the corner of the battery compartment. This fuse also runs the hydraulic control panel (ask me how I know, lol).
Buy a multimeter and learn how to use it. You will be glad you did down the road.
Also, download the Lippert NOW app from Google play store. It has all the manuals, troubleshooting and TSBs in it.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:18 AM   #19
MUSKOKA1
Established Member

M.O.C. #30152
Thank you Jim B.
So far the battery is holding full charge. The inverter is off as I'm connected to shore power. I ran the 3 slides yesterday, both in & out. The battery bounced back almost immediately.
Enjoy SC. I lived on Lake Murray for a few years. Love the state.
~ ken

Tags
tank heaters