Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2022, 09:33 AM   #1
blusnowbird
Just Looking

M.O.C. #30894
Big Solar Generator Install

Hey everyone, just wanted to share some info that might help answer questions on direction for solar/generator installs.
I searched long and hard for suggestions since it seems like this is a new path. Essentially, instead of buying/hard wiring in all the solar components (inverter/charger/BMS/MPPT/wiring, etc) just get a BIG Solar Generator and wire in with the generator's 30a connector. Portability was important to our setup, we wanted to enable the power storage/generator to be able to 'move' to our off-grid cabin (future). This gives us flexibility to power either unit and allows us to have power in an offgrid cabin without having an immediate solar panel install. Eventually solar panels on both the 5'er and the cabin could be installed and used to recharge/power each.
Lots of options out there for solar generators, but we chose the Bluetti AC300/B300 battery setup for 6100w of power (expandable to 12200w) coupled with 1200w of solar (expandable to 2400w due to twin MPPT config of AC300). It was a close match with the Ecoflow Delta Pro which gives more power but less flexibility and way heavier.
Here's how we integrated the generator into our camper.
  1. Placed it in the downstairs storage for easy access (solar panel wires, transfer switch wiring, AC Power for recharge/UPS). Strapped in and attached to aluminum frame.
  2. Install a transfer switch (reversing the 'shore'/'generator' inputs, reasons in the video below)
  3. Wire in a standard 50a cable (cut one end off and wire in)
  4. Add 30a/50a dog bone to connect 50a cable through dog bone to generator
This config enables us to:
  • Obviously, the main enablement here is off-grid power. Everything works including one of our Montana's big air conditioners
  • Move any or all of the components out to our future cabin's setup where I could just use the existing capacity, or full solar addition of up to 2400w of solar
  • Plug the AC Charge cable into an existing AC outlet. This keeps the B300 batteries charged up while on shore power
  • Route and Plugin the solar panels/wires. The AC300 can be simultaneously charged/discharged with solar AND AC power up to 5500w.
  • Enables the AC300's UPS mode in case shore power goes down (detected from AC charge), just seamlessly, quietly transfers over to Generator power.
The main downside to this is the weight of the B300s which is 80lbs making this a little less than perfect. I'll be watching for B300-Lites in the future!

Love to hear your thoughts/giggles at my approach (and if anyone else has done something like this too).

I'll attached a pic of the initial install with just one of the B300's plugged in. I'll update with more once I get the solar setup added

Here's the rationale for the reversing of the inputs. Seems logical considering the intention and operation of the different types of gererators:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluetti.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	11885  

blusnowbird is offline   Reply With Quote