Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2022, 03:13 PM   #1
basqueman

M.O.C. #21111
No Stereo sound in Living Room

We have a 2018 MS3810 and have never been able to get sound in the living room. The dealer cant help over the phone. The mfg name escapes me. The stereo faceplate has 3 zones: 1,2,3. Interestingly a friend has a 2020 and their zones are A,B and C. Different make? Zone 2 plays bedroom speakers on first press and both bedroom and outside on 2nd press. Zone 3 plays outside speakers only. Zone 1 doesnt work at all. There are no speakers in the living room so Im guessing that the sound bar is supposed to play in the living room. In all of our manuals there is nothing about how to get sound in the living room.. With all the Norold cooling problems and the squeaking floors and the no sound probmems, my patience is wearing thin on Montanas.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

basqueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:03 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Have you been able to hear anything at all? static? buzzz? any FM station?

The name of the radio is iRV. I downloaded the app on my iphone but I don't think I have ever used it. I have labeled my speaker buttons. I will see if I can take a pic for you. The 3 zones are living room/ bedroom/ and outside. You can press one button or all buttons to activate all speakers. We use the remote for the radio unit to operate DVDs and it works fine.

Don't expect too much from this radio. My AM has never worked (static) and FM is marginal. We do use the radio unit to watch DVDs on the TV. I have a Bose Solo sound bar speaker (from Sam's) behind the TV that we use for the sound. The two built in speakers in the TV cabinets are ok - but we had the Bose in our previous RV and it sounds great.

This radio has a ribbon antenna for AM/FM that is most likely rolled up behind the radio. I unfurled mine and reception for AM was still non-existent, and FM marginal. I bought a $15 car antenna at Walmart and mounted it behind the TV, and FM is somewhat improved and AM is marginal to pitiful. I had a mid-90s KZ Sportsmen travel trailer and a couple of Alpenlite 5th wheels with a AM/FM radios that actually worked because they had an antenna on the roof. We have a portable radio that we use to listen to AM when we want to. I am disappointed that the radio does not work better.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:55 PM   #3
basqueman

M.O.C. #21111
ms3810 radio probs

Mike Your comments were dead on. I have bedroom and outside speakers but no living room speakers. So the first question is were is the sound supposed to come from? But based upon your comments about the qualitiy of the stereo, im giving up, My pickup sitting just outside the trailer picks up stations perfectly, yet inside nothing. Im not wasting time on looking for an antenna. That being said, the dvd and cd player works fine. Except the cd doesnt play thruthe surround soundin the living room but the dvd player plays thru the tv and tge surround. Ill have to be satisfied with that.
basqueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:05 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Find a small skinny sound bar and lay it behind your TV then turn off the speakers built into the TV. I can’t remember if my Bose is hooked up thru the USB plug or the optical plug. My OEM TV was a Insignia. It was fine - but we bought a $300 Samsung smart TV at Sams about a year ago.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:55 AM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I absolutely hated trying to operate the pathetic Jenson sound system. Best thing we did is put a smart TV in, and get a Polk bluetooth sound-bar with a wireless subwoofer. Now watching movies, and listening to music sounds exceptionally well and didn't cost all that much. The interior and exterior speakers they put on these rigs are the equivalent to the sound quality of a 1960's transistor radio.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Look on the sound bar and see how it is attached to either the tv or the radio. My guess is that their is a digital optical connection from the tv to the sound bar.

If so then you'll need to make sure the TV is outputting digital from the tv (tv setting) and the sound bar is on the input (sound bar setting) which is getting the signal. That is how our last montana was setup.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote