Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
ps161851

M.O.C. #29760
Back up camera

Has any one installed a back up camera? How hard is it to0 get power to the camera. Specifically space access to the wiring.

ps161851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The most common power source is the center marker light on the rear cap. Yes, you have to have your tail lights on when using the camera but most of us do that already.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
So I am interested in the same but so that I can view my rear rack with generator and bike. Any suggestions on brand camera that can be utilized outside of backing up?
Old 09-28-2021, 05:47 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
My rig was prewired for the Furrion camera system. I purchased the 2 side marker and rear shark fin with 7" monitor. Honestly, the 2 side marker lights are not all that helpful. Just make sure when shopping you get an "observation camera" vs "backup camera".
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:59 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Mine came "pre-wired" for the Furrion system and I installed the observation camera. The camera angle points downward and I can see the ground directly behind the camper. "IF" I had a carrier on the end, I could easily see it or anything that might be on it.

However, the observation from the rear is not so great. It looks like the distance behind is about 150 feet, pointing downward at the road. So, unlike the rear view mirror, I can't see the horizon, or long distance behind the camper. I wish it was angled higher as I like it more for driving than for backing up.

Now, for backing up, it works very well, giving me a good view of any object directly behind the camper, thus giving on opportunity to stop before hitting something.

It's not perfect by any means. And truly not like a rear view mirror. But it does help to know what's going on when another vehicle is truly tail gating.

I also have the side cameras, but the Furrion system does not leave them active. They display for about 20 seconds and then shut off. I can set one of the sides to be on all the time, but then the rear and the other side stay on for only about 20 seconds.

I find, when traveling, the driver side camera is the most useful. When backing up, the rear is most useful.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps161851 View Post
Has any one installed a back up camera? How hard is it to0 get power to the camera. Specifically space access to the wiring.
I've installed the "XRoose" camera with the 7" monitor...outstanding color video and angle set making it like a rear view mirror behind the trailer. It has a good menu selection of preferred video styles...I used the distance marker to help judge clearance on the back of the 5vr backing up. Wired into the center clearance marker light for power.
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Rear Camera.

The 2021 and the 2022 GMC Denali 3500hd came who the equipment, to mount a Camera on the rear, GM calls this see thru trailer. I have not installed it yet. GM Trucks are equipped with a camera that when towing trailers when turn single is on, the camera shows the area of the left signal or the right signal entire length of the towed trailer.

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:33 PM   #8
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I installed a Furrion wireless camera. My TV has daytime running lights so I chose not to get power from the clearance lights. I removed the center clearance light and the left one. I used a coat hanger to fish the wire from the center to the side. Then I put some weight on the wire and dropped it down to where the backup light is located. Tapped into the backup light wiring. That way the camera is only powered when in reverse. The display is always stowed in the center console until I need to see behind the Month.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #9
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
I have the Furion rear camera and two side cameras. Agreeing with previous poster, I generally do not use the side cameras. The rear camera easily plugs in.

If I had it to do over again, I would have only purchased the rear camera. I might use the side cameras in heavy urban traffic.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #10
MUSKOKA1
Established Member

M.O.C. #30152
Back up camera option other that Furion

Hello,
My 2018 3721FL camera pre-wire bracket recommends a Furrion camera that's been replaced by a newer Furrion model. Still priced in the $550 range.

Wondering if any MOC members have had success with other than Furrion wireless rear view observation cameras?

Thank you.
MUSKOKA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #11
Ntense0911
Established Member

M.O.C. #30206
I just bought the haloview w/ signal booster system and will install shortly. Hook right in to the pre-wire and costs half what a furrion system costs. Has great reviews.
Ntense0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #12
MUSKOKA1
Established Member

M.O.C. #30152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntense0911 View Post
I just bought the haloview w/ signal booster system and will install shortly. Hook right in to the pre-wire and costs half what a furrion system costs. Has great reviews.
Thanks! I'll check out the haloview.
Good luck w/your installation.
MUSKOKA1 is offline   Reply With Quote