Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
New to Montana

After several years of Jayco ownership, we decided to upgrade to a larger rig and found a very nice 2020 Montana 3761RL. We're now filling the fiver with our things, clearing out things we didn't use and learning how to use everything in this coach. Of course, we're running into some issues but so far, we've muddled our way through. We are very impressed with the coach and really like the layout and amenities. Not to mention the storage under the back of this unit...WOW!

A couple of things we may be searching for some help on are:

We can't seem to get the heater to kick on in gas mode. I've lit the burners so I assume there's gas in the lines but the heater won't kick on. The electric heat pump works like a champ but a gas heater will be needed from time to time. If anyone has some hints, feel free to enlighten us.

We also want to put in a Splendide washer/dryer combo in the closet where it is plumbed. We find there is little if any room for a dryer vent so it looks like we have to install the unit facing 90 degrees so the back of the W/D is against the outside wall so the vent can go straight through. That should be a fun project but I think I have some ideas. If any of you have installed a W/D combo in a Montana 3761FL, I'd sure like to hear from you.

Looking forward to pulling this rid. We have a 21 Ram Dually 3500 Diesel and it handled it well on the way home. I am installing Airlift 7500 air bags on the Ram to help with the weight.

Hope all is well with everyone. We'll be headed to Arizona in a week or so...

Bakersfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! Please give us more info on the problem with the furnace. What happens when you call for heat? Does the fan try to run and if not, have you tried replacing the black fuse, if you have one with a regular fuse?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:33 AM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard! and yes...more info on the furnace. When you set the TStat to call for the furnace what happens

Fan turn on?
Attempt to ignite?
Ignites but turns back off in a few seconds?

The exact sequence will help to diagnose.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:00 AM   #4
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
Thanks for the reply...So...this is new to me. I've had an RV for many years but this is the first digital thermostat I've had. When I set it for Heat/Gas, absolutely nothing happens. I listen for the fan to kick on or a click or something to indicate the heater has received the signal but I hear nothing. We wait a few minutes but still nothing. I've located the heater on the outside of the unit but we've been so busy trying to get ready for our journey west that I haven't really looked inside the coach. Hope to have some time today (installing Air Lifts on the truck and prepping for a party at the house tomorrow evening) to look into this a little further. I was hoping it was operator trouble with the thermostat which is possible too! Where would this "black fuse" be located??? Thanks again and y'all have a great day!
Old 12-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Thanks for the updated info. The black fuse is in the fuse panel. When you locate the panel the Furnace should be labeled among the 12 volt blade fuses. The black fuse is a resettable fuse. They can be glitchy. I would just pop in a regular blue 15 amp fuse as a starting point. If it still doesn't work then you might pull the exterior cover off of the furnace and check the reset button. Those are the first 2 troubleshooting items I would suggest. Let us know if nothing happens after checking those items off and we can dig deeper.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:19 PM   #6
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
I found the black fuse and exchanged it with a 15amp standard fuse. When I took the black fuse out, a red light lit up indicating an open circuit like normal. I set the thermostat and nothing happened. When I look at the thermostat, the "heat/gas" words are kind of flashing. I went to the outside panel and removed the screws but the panel is siliconed on. Should I remove that and check there. I talked to the previous owner and he said he never had a problem with the gas heater. I've also refilled both propane tanks and I have good reaction from the burners. With everything else that's going on, I try something everyday.
Thanks again...
Old 12-07-2021, 12:35 AM   #7
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
The outside cover should not be siliconed on unless the previous owner did it for some reason. But I would get it lose and take a look. There is a reset button that may be tripped. If it is then there is likely another failure point but we won't know how to proceed until you can confirm if the needs to be reset or not.

If it needs to be reset then do so. Try to fire the furnace and pay attention to what happens and in what order.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:15 AM   #8
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
Thanks...I'll check on that today and let you know. I really appreciate the guidance with the heater. I'm sure it's something small.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #9
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
Well, I checked again today and the outside cover was not siliconed on. It was a little tight though but I got it off. I flipped the reset switch and still no response from the heater. I'm thinking I may have a propane issue because the regulator started making a wining noise today when it was on the right tank. When I switched it over to the left tank, the noise stopped. I'm leaving for Phoenix on Monday so I'll probably wait until I get there to do some more testing. I'll probably change the regulator there too. Thanks for all of your help and if you have something else for me to check, by all means, let me know. Sooner or later I'll get this thing figured out.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:09 PM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
At this point the propane isn't the issue. When you first turn on the furnace the fan should spin up in preparation for the propane. You're getting no response at all from the furnace so that has to be the first step before you will be able to see if there are any other issues.

The next thing I would check is to make sure that you are getting power to the control board when the TStat calls for heat from the furnace. You will need to locate the wires and, using a multimeter, see if there is raw power and also if there is a signal coming from the TStat. It's best to have someone operate the TStat while you watch the multi meter. You can also accomplish it by presetting the TStat and turning the switch on and off at the furnace.

I don't know off the top of my head which wires you should check so those will need to be identified first. Your furnace manual should show some wiring details.

Maybe a dumb question but is your battery cut off switch set correctly?
Old 12-09-2021, 06:22 AM   #11
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
Still working on the Heater

That's not a dumb question at all! Remember, I'm new to all of this electronic t-stat stuff. In my last rig, plugging it into 110 over rode the batteries. I thought that would be the same for this rig but with your question, it obviously is not! Today, I will go out to the RV barn and unplug the RV, check the battery switch to make sure the lights will come on, and then try the heater again. Never know...you could be on to something.

I'll keep you posted!
Old 12-09-2021, 08:37 AM   #12
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
You shouldn't have to unplug from shore power to test this. If the battery cut off key is set to OFF then that will prevent 12v power from accessing the appliances. It should also kill the TStat so I'm leery that that is the issue. But please still check it.

If the red cut off key is ON then you won't be able to pull it out. When OFF you can remove the key.

Since we're troubleshooting this aspect, are the other 12v functions working normally? Is the fridge running? Do the lights work well? Can you fire up the water heater on propane?
Old 12-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #13
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
Still working on the Heater

Well, I think I'm about done with working on the heater. I've tried everything and nothing happens at all when the heater is turned on at the thermostat. Today, I tried to turn the water heater on gas and now I have a "fault" on the panel that I can't clear up. I've pushed the reset buttons on the water heater at least 50 times to no avail.

I've wasted enough time on this and the previous owner is of no help as he knows less than me. I don't know enough to use a multi meter and I don't have any help at the RV to figure things out.

I want to thank you for the help and advise but I'm going to take the rig to Phoenix and once there, I'll call an RV tech to come and take care of these issues. It's RV season there so I'm sure there will be some RV techs working at the park we're staying at every once in a while so I'll find out who has good recommendations and let them handle it.

Thanks again...
Old 12-09-2021, 09:40 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There will lots of MOC members in the Phoenix area. Depending on where you land there may be help in the neighborhood. Come to Quartzsite and I guarantee you we will have you up and working quickly.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:26 AM   #15
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Please report back when you've discovered the issue. I'm now suspecting a faulty converter. You might get your batteries checked as well just to play it safe.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #16
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
There is a furnace troubleshooting file in the files section. Hope this helps.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #17
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
If you are near Apache Junction and are an Elk member there is a full timer there who is an RV tech with 30+years experience.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #18
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
Today, I was able to speak to a local mobile RV tech. He told me the heaters have a tendency to burn out a solder joint on the circuit board. He said I could pull the board and take it to a local dealer and have it tested. I took several pictures along the way of taking to board out because there are some plugs and wires plugged in and I wanted to make sure I put them back on right. Once I pulled the board, it was clear a solder joint directly behind the plug (not visible from the front) was clearly burned out. I went to an RV parts department and got a new board (in stock so I guess it's pretty common) and replaced it. Once I made sure all the wires were in the proper place, we turned the heater on and it started right up. If you plan on doing this, take lots of pictures at each step of removing the wires and board. I had one wire come loose from the plug and I was able to compare the pictures and get it put back in the correct place.

As for the water heater, I received a "fault" light on the panel when I turned it on. The RV tech told me to just leave it on and it will reset after 20 seconds. Sure enough, less than a minute after turning the gas water heater on with the fault light, the water heater lit and the fault light went out.

I'm happy to report that all is well with the fiver and we'll be on the road early Monday morning. SW Missouri to Casa Grande Arizona. That'll be our first trip!

Hope all is well and thank you to those who were kind enough to give me an opinion of what was wrong.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:06 AM   #19
sq320ret@yahoo.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #27116
gas heater

Always interesting and informative to search for problems. I have already read several informative suggestions I will have to explore, thanks for the advice.

Now I have a question not yet addressed. When I turn on the digital furnace switch of our 2014 Montana 293 the overhead A/C comes on blowing air. There is no heat strip in this unit. Is it supposed to come on and blow air? After all the gas heat comes from the rigs gas heater. If it is not supposed to do that what should I look for to stop it from blowing?

Actual consumers can provide better answers.
sq320ret@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #20
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
On the thermostat check the AC fan setting. It should be on "Auto" otherwise it will blow all the time.