Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2023, 10:47 AM   #1
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Anyone have a dead Auto Transfer Switch they want rid of?

Hello Everyone, I hope you are doing well!

I am sure you are all aware that the factory installed Progressive Dynamics PD52DCSD Auto Transfer Switch that switches from shore to generator power has had a very high failure rate. My first one failed after only 6 months and I got a second complete box under warranty. That one has now failed after just over two years (just past the warranty...)

I reached out to Progressive Dynamics and they tell me they no longer make the model PD52DCSD (with surge protection) as they can no longer get the parts since COVID, so I would have to purchase a plain PD52 (no surge protection and no remote display, but a different, better?? contactor set). I also understand that Keystone has stopped installing these somewhere around the '22 model due to the high failure rate. I do not know what they are installing now.

The failure mechanism is the main contactor relay for the shore power as it is always engaged when connected to shore power. It runs quite warm when engaged. Since I still had the old assembly, so I just swapped the bad shore power contactor with the still good generator contactor from the old box. This works fine and should be good for a while longer.

Two questions, what brand and model do you recommend when this one eventually fails? (I have a separate hard wire surge/voltage protector so I don't really need that functionality).

Second, does anyone have an old, bad Progressive Dynamics PD52DSCD Auto Transfer Switch that failed and is collecting dust that I could salvage the generator contactor relay from (cheap!)?

Thanks, Mike

MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:21 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We are currently on the road. We are doing months of dry camping this summer (in Canada, nice and cool). I have been manually switching between generator and inverter (twice a day due to generator hours). When we get home I'm installing a new ATS for sure.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 01:40 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Maybe epoxy a small heatsink to the contractor? Maybe even fan cooled?

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-copper...63493580&psc=1

Is there a model number on the contractor you can google to search for availability?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 04:38 PM   #4
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
I have thought about trying a fan for cooling but that is still not the right fix. I can see the paper wrapping turning brown due to the heat on the solenoids on the bad contactors. A fan may extend their life a bit but I want a longer term fix. I think ultimately I will ditch the ATS altogether and install just a manual transfer switch... “Shore - Off - Generator”. I found one rated for 240VAC and 63 amps for $65 on eBay. I don’t really use my generator enough to justify the ATS. With 2400 watts of solar I avoid using it as much a I can!

Thanks, Mike
Old 07-18-2023, 06:56 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I prefer a manual transfer switch. I made mine. I used Square D industrial breakers. It will last thousands of switches. I worked for 2 days on it. It’s custom built for the space in my camper. Pull a lever up for the generator and down for shore power. The real advantage, it was fun to make.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:45 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mike, at rally we replaced ours with the Hughes Watchdog EPO hardwired in place of the transfer switch. I talked with Matt and the only purpose for that transfer switch on the Super Solar was that it had EMS. You may have changed it. We just left the PD panel in place. I can send pictures if you want.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:44 AM   #7
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Talking

Hello Lynwood, I am curious why you used two breakers in your design. I assume these are 50 amp breakers. There is always a 50 amp breaker on the campground power pole and the unit has a 50 amp breaker in the breaker panel. Additional redundancy??

Hi Ron, good to hear from you. I have installed a Honda EU2200i generator for those occasions when I can't make enough solar power. I like having the original ATS to auto switch between shore power and the generator without having to run a drop cord between the generator and the shore power cord. I also like the remote indicator inside to confirm that everything is working well. I have also installed a hard wired EMS box (not Hughes but Progressive Industries) since the ATS has surge protection only, no hi/low voltage protection.

I am hoping to get another couple of years out of my reworked ATS using the two good generator contactors from the two boxes I have. Again, if anyone has an old factory installed Progressive Industries ATS that has failed, I would love to harvest the generator contactor from it. In the meantime, I am considering this manual transfer switch off eBay. It would be a very simple install (need a box) and has no solenoids to overheat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer Switch.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	15002  
Old 08-02-2023, 03:22 PM   #8
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
When mine (2019) failed last November (2022) I replaced it with a Bridea #HGAS-01
RV Transfer Switch, Briidea Automatic Transfer Switch 50 Amp Applied to RV, Speedboats, 240 VAC https://a.co/d/55zeAyz
Old 08-02-2023, 04:06 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Hello Lynwood, I am curious why you used two breakers in your design.

Because they made the transfer switch easy to make and very reliable. The flip switch has an eight inch hole through them and you a put one where the off position is on and the other one is on. I put a 3/4 square block between them so when you move the 3/4 square block one way up or down it cuts one on and the other off so there is no way to have both on or off.
Besides it’s fun to make make stuff better than you can buy it. For the cost of 2 SquareD breakers and 2 days work I have a transfer switch. You can look at my campers and tell a machinist with a lot of time on has hands owns them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:15 PM   #10
Dgerber
Established Member

M.O.C. #30607
Are you going to this years MOC? If so, I'll bring my failed unit that you can have.
Dgerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:25 PM   #11
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Hello Dgerber, unfortunately I do not plan to go to the MOC rally in Sept. thank you for the offer though. I tried to PM you but it would not go, can I offer you $50 to throw it in a box and drop it at the post office?