Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2022, 12:31 PM   #1
COLLEEN1978

M.O.C. #30927
Smile Al & Colleen from WI

Hello all! We purchased a 2020 Montana High Country 362RD last fall and are getting ready to do our first short trip to break him in. Opened him up last weekend to clean and organize...of course a slide cable is all frayed. We can't pull in the den slide and there are NO RV Techs available until August. We are going to give it a try ourselves. Bought the BAL Slide kit and the fancy crimper. Watched several YouTube videos... Everyone please cross your fingers that we get it done.

We had a PUMA travel trailer a few years back. We are now getting ready to retire and explore the USA with our mobile motel room. We want to install some major solar on this rig. Anyone have recommendations of where we might find the best installer? We are also considering RV-Armor for the roof. Any experience with that?

We are looking forward to learning from all of you! Have a safe and happy summer!

COLLEEN1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Having helped a buddy repair his, not too hard. Found working room tight. One thing we wished we had done was take careful measurements and marking of the old cables, would have made the adjustment process easier.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #3
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Congratulations on the new trailer. Did it the cable come like that from the dealership? It's sad to see the lack of quality control or final inspections when these things leave Keystone.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Montana. Sorry to hear about your cable slide. It happens, you know. You have the tools at hand, now, just a bit of common sense and you'll have it fixed in no time.

For what it's worth, I just went through this myself. Here's a recent thread that covers my own repair, trials and tribulations with a broken cable. Click Here.

As this was the first one I actually did myself, alone, I realize I made one mistake. Let me pass that on to you so you won't do the same.

After the cable was fed through all the pully's and everything in place, I put that little crimper in place and "thought" I did right. I placed the screw and the threaded bolt that hold it in position, about half-way in the bolt. I did not take into account that by looping the cable, it would need to stretch out and that loop would flatten out, causing the cable to have slack. So, after a couple of in's and out's with the slide, I realized the cable had slack. So, I tightened that end nut again. ... and again ... and again ... I'm now almost out of threaded bolt and still need to go even farther. My solution is to pack an inch or two of washers on the outside of the fixture, so the threaded nut will have more room.

So, if doing this, I strongly suggest you put that nut as far to the end as you can before doing the crimping. Once crimped, you'll be turning that nut inward a good inch, maybe even a good 2 inches until that cable bends itself into position and stays there.

The theory behind these cable slides is really very simple. And actually replacing them is very simple too. The problem and challenge is the very, very limited space to do the work. That's what makes them so challenging!

Good luck and once again 'Welcome!"
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:58 PM   #5
COLLEEN1978

M.O.C. #30927
Thanks! Will be sure to take good measurements and photos!
Old 05-06-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
COLLEEN1978

M.O.C. #30927
We bought the camper used form a private owner. They told us it sat stationary most of the time for two summers before we bought it. So yes, It was a quality control issue. The cable is frayed and from we can understand from YouTube videos, that is caused by the cable not going into the guide straight. Cross your fingers that we get it done! The rv guys on you tube make it look easy anyway.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #7
COLLEEN1978

M.O.C. #30927
DutchemeSport...thank you! Excellent advice! I had already read your post before I posted and am thankful you gave me this updated advice. We'll get it done. Maybe I'll post our happy faces when complete.