Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2024, 11:58 AM   #1
BigEddieT

M.O.C. #32939
On board generator install 22 3231CK Montana Legacy

I installed an RVMP 5500i generator on my gen ready 2022 Montana 3231CK Legacy. I had an electrician wire it up. Then I piped the LP gas line to it. I have no power to the generator. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with connecting up a generator to the transfer switch? It's all wired up but still no power to the generator.

BigEddieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 02:37 PM   #2
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
Good afternoon. The generator output goes to the transfer switch. There should also be a 12v hot and ground coming into the generator that powers the starter to power up the generator. Did the electrician wire both the input (hot yo the generator) as well as the output (power from generator to transfer switch)? . When you say there is no power at the generator, where are you measuring for power and how are you measuring (test light or multi meter)?
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 04:16 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
As Rotnjonny stated, the only power going to the gen is 12 volt battery power used to start it. Once started the 120 volt generator power goes to the transfer switch which transfers power to the RV. Look for a red power cable from the batteries to the gen. There should be an inline fuse. It may be blown. If your gen isn't cranking over when you attempt to start it then it's a power problem or a gen problem. There might be a resetable breaker on the gen as well. Not familiar with that brand but it's very similar to an ONAN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-17 151821.png
Views:	13
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	16474  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rvmp_4000i_5000i_owners_manual.pdf (593.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-17-2024, 09:59 PM   #4
BigEddieT

M.O.C. #32939
Haven't checked the fuse. Not sure if the Gen power comes from the transfer switch or the RV bats. There is no hot wire installed from the bats which is what I expected on the gen ready system. I thought maybe the 12 V hot wire was in the flex conduit pre installed from the generator which the electrician wired to the storage compartment elec junction box from the transfer switch. I believe nothing was hot from the transfer switch so I was wondering if there wasn't some kind of cut off switch there for safety reasons. The electrician has not returned my call yet. Montana cust serv has been a little less than helpful.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:58 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There is no need for a cut off from the transfer switch to the generator so I can’t see Montana putting one in. But you MUST have a transfer switch. You will haft to have a 12 volt line from the battery.
Do you have a multi gauge to check for a 12 volt line?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:21 AM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEddieT View Post
Haven't checked the fuse. Not sure if the Gen power comes from the transfer switch or the RV bats. There is no hot wire installed from the bats which is what I expected on the gen ready system. I thought maybe the 12 V hot wire was in the flex conduit pre installed from the generator which the electrician wired to the storage compartment elec junction box from the transfer switch. I believe nothing was hot from the transfer switch so I was wondering if there wasn't some kind of cut off switch there for safety reasons. The electrician has not returned my call yet. Montana cust serv has been a little less than helpful.
I wouldn't expect Keystones help. This is an after market install. I've attached some information I found online.. As you can see in the picture, all of the wiring and gas line comes from one point. Looks like the left side of the unit. It consists of, 12 volt battery in, 120 volt generator out, remote control wiring and LPG line in. The diagram is a simple example of the starter battery wiring. You also have a built in remote that has circuit breakers and remote start. I'd start with the breakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	13
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	16478   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	19
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	16479  
Old 02-18-2024, 07:39 PM   #7
BigEddieT

M.O.C. #32939
Definitely no 12 V line to enclosure. Pigtail is wired and sealed thru enclosure and connected to pigtail from gen. This is likely the wiring to the iNcommand control system. This wiring is all small gauge, not capable of carrying gen starter voltage. No individual 12 v line from the generator which is why I assumed it was in the original conduit. that is wired, I assume correctly. Even if I ran a 12 v line from the Bat compartment next to gen there would be no place to connect it. There is only a heavy gauge black wire coming from the generator chassis that is now connected to the frame.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:54 PM   #8
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
There may be two studs (like battery posts) that the positive lead and the negative lead connect to. The studs would probably be located inside by the starter

I just confirmed in the Onan instruction manual that there is definitely a stud for the positive cable to attach. You must supply the positive and negative cables. They are not shipped with the unit. I suspect you may have the same situation. There is also a designated location for the ground cable to attach at the frame of the unit.
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:11 PM   #9
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Remove the front cover to the generator. On the left side you’ll find a stud to connect a positive cable from the battery, and a place on the generator frame to connect a ground. Personally I like using a smaller/separate battery to start the generator. If the RV battery goes dead, you can still start the generator. Just remember, the generator doesn’t produce 12 volt charging output, so a separate battery requires a fuse in line with the diode wire from the RV battery to keep the new battery charged.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:45 PM   #10
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Be sure you fuse the 12 V line.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:33 PM   #11
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Also check to see if the generator has a floating ground. If it does, you will need to tie the ground to the neutral but make sure that ground is broken when connected to shore power. Codes require only one ground to neutral connection.
Without that ground you will have trouble with the ground fault circuits.
jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:18 PM   #12
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung47 View Post
Be sure you fuse the 12 V line.
Yep that was mentioned in the suggestion.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote