Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #1
Madmax07
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27605
Cracked Grey Tank

Unfortunately, one of our grey tanks on our 3582RL sprung a leak this summer. We've had it at our RV dealership since the end of August. The plan was to replace the tank. The dealership told us that the crack is about 8" long and runs along the seam of the tank.
My understanding is that the seam runs horizontally around the tank. We did use the trailer once by simply leaving the valve open on the grey tank. This is the tank that holds the wasted for one of the bathroom sinks and the shower.
Our problem is that the dealer has told us they are having problems getting a tank. They claim there is only one supplier in the U.S. (we are from Canada) and that the supplier has no inventory. I'm a little skeptical but there is no reason for them to not be truthful.

I asked about the possibility of repairing the tank. They said they could try to repair it but that it doesn't always work and would not guarantee it. Has anyone else had experience with getting a grey tank repaired? Am I better waiting for a new tank or would it be worthwhile to give the repair a try?

Also, anyone know of suppliers for these tanks?
Any help would be appreciated.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie
Madmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is what I would do *IF* you don't plan on Boon docking for more than a day or so. Go ahead and use the RV. Either leave that valve open, which we do when hooked to sewer, or just be sure to dump it every few days depending on water usage. It won't leak unless it fills, so just avoid that happening.

I think there are several suppliers of the old style tanks. Others may have the names for you. But using the RV until a new tank is obtained and the dealer can install it is not a big problem.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
Madmax07
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Here is what I would do *IF* you don't plan on Boon docking for more than a day or so. Go ahead and use the RV. Either leave that valve open, which we do when hooked to sewer, or just be sure to dump it every few days depending on water usage. It won't leak unless it fills, so just avoid that happening.

I think there are several suppliers of the old style tanks. Others may have the names for you. But using the RV until a new tank is obtained and the dealer can install it is not a big problem.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that we will be in Mesa, Az. from January to March. I have a hard time believing that there is only one supplier of that tank. I may do some checking around when we get there. Would Trekwood supply these tanks?
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie
Madmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:08 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am sure Trekwood can supply a tank. The questions are: When, How Much, and the cost to ship it? There are a bunch of Mobile RV repair guys (and girls?) in the greater Phoenix area. I was staying at El Mirage RV Resort and the Montana parked behind me had a guy come and replace both the grey and black tanks on site. He did it under 4 hours. Very impressive. He supplied the tanks to boot. Now this was a couple of years ago and supplies might be limited so it could take longer for them to locate one today.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:39 PM   #5
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Purchase a plastic welding kit at Harbor Frieght for around $15 or less. Does a great job. Easy to use.

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have used RV Country (formerly RV Traders) for 15 years. They found a replacement tank for me years back. Call ahead and see if they can get one for you. They are in Mesa on Main St.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Whether the tank is replaced or repaired, ensure that extra support is added underneath the tank. Keystone installed that two piece tank not in accordance to the manufacturers recommendation. Added support would likely save the other tanks from separating as well.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:01 PM   #8
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Like Carl says, use it and keep the valve open. I had a leak in my galley tank and I repaired it. No more leaks! YouTube has several videos on how to repair.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I ordered a water tank from these guys. They have a ton of tank options.

Custom Roto-Molding Inc

3950 Kathryn AveSpringfield OR 97478(541) 988-0136Visit: customroto.com
Old 11-15-2021, 11:16 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If you order from Trekwood it will cost you an arm and a leg and when they ship it to you whether in Canada or in Mesa it will cost you the rest of your body for shipping. I have had a tank replaced while down in AZ by a mobile tech and it was no problem for them to get it so I would check around once you get down there and see what the mobile techs have to say in the Mesa area. Until you find a tank and someone to replace it, you can always leave the valve open and put a Valtera valve on the end of your sewer exit line where you connect your sewer hose. You can close the main valve for the gray tank and fill it partway a day or two before dumping your black tank and use that water to rinse your sewer hose. We have the exact same Montana as you do and the gray tank will hold 40 gallons plus so you should have no problem holding two days worth of gray water before dumping and it leaking before that. Let us know what you decide on and where you get your tank from.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I would try what MARK A says. If you can get a roto molded tank they are the best option.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #12
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax07 View Post
Unfortunately, one of our grey tanks on our 3582RL sprung a leak this summer. We've had it at our RV dealership since the end of August. The plan was to replace the tank. The dealership told us that the crack is about 8" long and runs along the seam of the tank.
My understanding is that the seam runs horizontally around the tank. We did use the trailer once by simply leaving the valve open on the grey tank. This is the tank that holds the wasted for one of the bathroom sinks and the shower.
Our problem is that the dealer has told us they are having problems getting a tank. They claim there is only one supplier in the U.S. (we are from Canada) and that the supplier has no inventory. I'm a little skeptical but there is no reason for them to not be truthful.

I asked about the possibility of repairing the tank. They said they could try to repair it but that it doesn't always work and would not guarantee it. Has anyone else had experience with getting a grey tank repaired? Am I better waiting for a new tank or would it be worthwhile to give the repair a try?

You could try West System G/Flex 650 Toughened Epoxy. It will flex instead of crack. I would use some glass or carbon fiber or Kevlar or maybe even what the boats use but I can't remember the name but carbon is the best and the most expensive bit you only need a few feet. Remember, drill a hole at the ends of the crack to stop it spreading and extend the patch a good 6" past the ends. Good Luck.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #13
mtibbet

M.O.C. #20306
The tanks are ABS plastic. I repaired mine where it has split at the top. I just used ABS black glue from Home Depot. I also got some 1/8 thick ABS plastic I spread the glue on the crack and on the piece of of 1/8 ABS clamped it together with spring clamp and it has been holding for 2 years now. I also was able to fix it with the tank in the trailer
mtibbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #14
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Another lead for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax07 View Post

Phillips Plastics is located on the Phoenix border with Tempe, which isn't far from Mesa. Their address is 3801 E. Roeser in Phoenix. Webpage is http//www.phillipsplastics.com I'll PM the phone number to you (not sure if it's kosher to list here). In the past, I've taken the item to be repaired directly to them. One other suggested the Harbor Freight plastic welder option.....I would discourage trying to make the repair yourself. The tank is going to have to be removed in any case, so you might as well have a professional do the plastic weld. The suggestion to look into improving the original support mechanism is a good one.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #15
Trout30
Established Member

M.O.C. #28508
I had a grey tank repaired by a dealer several years ago on another Fiver we owned. Went 3 years on that repair with no problems until we sold the unit. I would get it fixed. Then, if any issues maybe tanks will be more available.
2021 Montana Legacy, 3781RL, Cobalt FBP, Cottage Kitchen, CareFree SOK III toppers, Onan 5.5KW Gen, Solar 300W, 2000W Magnum inverter, Goodyear 17.5" G114's, 2-100 amp Battle Born Batteries, Waste Master w/storage box, Frizz Life water filters, Hughes WatchDog.
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali, 4x4, DuraMax, CC, SRW, SB, PullRite Slider, Truck USA Roll top.
Trout30 is offline   Reply With Quote