Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2022, 06:07 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Lions and Tigers and BEARS -- OH MY!

Actually it was a bear. OK, "bear" with me as I ramble on.

We're at Pilot Mountain State Park in North Carolina and I'm working this entire month of August as the camp host. I've had several folks ask me about bears in this park, and to best of my knowledge, there has not been any bear sightings .... other parts of North Carolina, "yes", but not here. But meanwhile, "bears" are on my mind, same as snakes.

OK, so it started to thunder and sprinkle lightly just a little bit ago. I scrambled to put the lawn furniture away and then I wanted to pull the awnings in.

We have an awning on the opposite side of the trailer since we have a door on the opposite side. Our bedroom is in the very back of the trailer, and the living room is up front. The switch for the back awning is in the bedroom.

So I scrambled to the bed room and hit the switch. The awning started coming in. It was then I looked out the window, near the back end of the camper so I could see the awning arm and when I did, I saw a BEAR in the window. It was huge! OMG, I freaked out! It was just standing there. My heart literally skipped a beat and I almost passed out!

I turned my head for just an instant and looked back and the bear was GONE! Now, it was a red sports car! WHAT! Then it hit me.... it was the reflection of the television in the front living room reflecting in a straight shot of the mirror on the closet wall mirror.

OK, go ahead and laugh ... My wife though it was pretty funny. I suppose that's another "duh" moment in camping? Hum?

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have then here all the time. Even if it was a real bear it wasn’t going to bother you let alone hurt you. If you are lucky enough to see one enjoy it. The only time I’ve been worried is when I was walking under a cherry tree and heart a rumble looked up to find two cube coming out of the tree. I wasn’t worried about the cubs but where is momma. I tried to follow them but they disappeared in thick brush so I never saw momma.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:08 AM   #3
NWCampers
Established Member

M.O.C. #29366
😂😂 That’s funny. I’ll laugh with your wife.
NWCampers is offline   Reply With Quote