Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2022, 09:52 PM   #21
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
I've got 4 Sailun S637 (Trailer) ST235/85R16 132/127L G Trailer tires arriving tomorrow direct from WalMart on line. I paid $172 a piece x 4. My plan is to take them and the fiver to a big truck place that does tires. Local RV dealer doesn't deal with tires...small outfit.

One question I have is how do you know what size metal valve stems to buy? I want to switch to metal, but not sure if it is a common issue that the truck shop will be able to easily handle. I also am having a TPS system put on and hopefully they can do that too at the same time. I too am a newbie, so hoping I'm not messing up.
Seems like a great price for Sailun tires! Might call the tire place you plan to go to and see if they carry the metal valve stems before heading to their establishment. I would watch them like a hawk though and ensure they aren't putting their jacks on the axles. Some folks do, but doing so is a no-no in my books. Good luck!

Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:13 PM   #22
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Seems like a great price for Sailun tires! Might call the tire place you plan to go to and see if they carry the metal valve stems before heading to their establishment. I would watch them like a hawk though and ensure they aren't putting their jacks on the axles. Some folks do, but doing so is a no-no in my books. Good luck!
Sorry for a newbie question, but...

Where should they be putting the jacks? Is it possible they would use the 6 point lift system? I am pretty nervous about how all this is hopefully going to come together...tires have arrived, but still don't have any idea about metal valve stem size or where to buy them quickly if needed after finding out the correct size. Do these garage guys usually have the knowledge or am I going to have to guide them?
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:20 PM   #23
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
That's what I would do, use the jacks on the trailer.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:47 AM   #24
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Call the shop or go by and ask them your questions. There are no “big truck places” near me - so I decided to use Discount Tire. I had seen them working on travel trailers and small 5th wheels but there were low tree limbs and a huge hump at the street approach that my rig might not like…so I went to a shop 25 miles away, but they had good access. I talked to them about where to park and metal stems. I did not ask about lift points for their jacks - I assumed they knew better than I did.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:49 AM   #25
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
When it comes to jacking these things don't assume anyone knows the correct jack placement. Over the years I have read too many post of bent axle tubes from jack placement on the tube. I'd use the 6 point leveling if the shop will. If not instruct them, and watch if possible, the placement of the jack at the U-bolts.
May be some prior post with pictures if you search "jacking" or maybe "bent axle".
Old 12-04-2022, 09:16 AM   #26
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
If still looking for a place that sells and can mount big RV tires, try Southern Tire Mart. They can handle any 5th wheel or MH and have good prices and service.

https://www.stmtires.com/
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#12ply, #tire