Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #1
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
New MHC 295RL owner in NH

Hello all,

My wife Susan and I just took delivery of a 2022 Montana High Country 295 RL. This is our first 5th wheel after 2 seasons in a FR Vibe bumper pull. It was different hooking up and unhooking took us a while on our maiden voyage. I am amazed how well the unit towed. I know it was empty but I’m impressed.
We will spend the next few weekends getting to know our rig before wintering it.
Sue and look forward to next spring and are in planning mode. Since we are self employed, my goal for the off season is to find RELIABLE internet (cellular, satellite, combo, etc). We are shooting to go to warmer climates for a few months during the winter in the next few years.

Our rig specs: ‘22 Montana High Country 295RL (no genset), 400i solar. ‘21 RAM 2500 4x4 diesel 6’4” bed, Airlift airbags, PullRite #2700 hitch, with ISR puck system mount.

Looking forward to contributing on this forum.

Gerry & Susie Fernandez
Gilford, NH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3D4CC6AC-7CB7-4E3C-9DC0-B88B1D0F02A3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	13352   Click image for larger version

Name:	C8380E26-2BD7-4EF8-A726-AF25B0781590.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	13353  
Attached Images

Sr. Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Congratulations and welcome.
If you are looking to work on the road Starlink has had very good reviews from many.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 01:29 PM   #3
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Congratulations on your new 295RL and welcome to the forum! There will be plenty of folks here to help out with questions you may have. Enjoy and good luck!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Congrats on the new rig.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:42 PM   #5
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
Thanks everyone, I would have posted sooner but it’s been a very busy time. I spent last weekend changing locks, winterizing, and trying to get my inverter to work. The last and simplest thing I did worked: I turned the battery on and off. It must have been vapor locked. Now I just have to cover it and wait until April for our first trip. It’s booked- one week at Cape Charles, VA KOA.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:18 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Congrats on getting your new Montana. It sounds like you are making great plans in your future.

My wife and I worked (almost) full time from our Montana last year from Northern Florida to Northern Michigan. (Both of us worked in Information Technology as software testers for web based financial institutions.) In January 2022 I retired, but she's got a little longer to continue working. Pretty much, almost all of this year too and we've been on the road almost full time for 2 years now (the only exception is, we still have our house)

It was absolutely essential we also had reliable internet service. And we battled that for several years, as we've had opportunity over the years to work from home (just not permanently). Our cell phone hot spots served very well on the road. We had unlimited data, but even with that, we were still throttled. (AT&T).

About 2 years ago, I stumbled into Visible because of a YouTube video I watched. (Truly cheap unlimited internet for your RV .... look it up). We've been using Visible now for about 2 years. We have been in some locations where service was non-existent, the AT&T worked well, and visa versa. (But if you ever go the the campground at Hanging Rock State Park in North Carolina, you have "zip" phone service from any provider in that campground!)

However, we just invested in a Weboost phone booster, and that thing is marvelous. Anyway ... That's how we do it.

As stated above.... those folks who have Starlink seem to be very satisfied with it too.

Those two are probably your best options.

Good luck! Again, Welcome to the forums!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:53 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome and congrats on the rig. I have the same one and we love it.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:09 AM   #8
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

About 2 years ago, I stumbled into Visible because of a YouTube video I watched. (Truly cheap unlimited internet for your RV .... look it up). We've been using Visible now for about 2 years. We have been in some locations where service was non-existent, the AT&T worked well, and visa versa. (But if you ever go the the campground at Hanging Rock State Park in North Carolina, you have "zip" phone service from any provider in that campground!)
Thanks for the info on Visible. Do you utilize your phones as hotspots or are you using a dedicated hotspot device or router like the Winegard Gateway 1000? Starlink is a definite option in the future. We are self employed as recruiters for manufacturing professionals so we need access to internet, emails, and phone, sometimes simultaneously. We are starting slow, spending a few weeks at a time away from home base but the more we do it, the longer we want to stay out. I appreciate the reply and the info on Visible.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:53 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Only 1 device can be attached the phone when using Visible, if that be the phone's hot spot or a wired device. So the way to get around that is to use a very small portable wifi router plugged into the phone. We have a GL-Inet router. One end the wire plugs into the phone the other into the router. The router has to be set up or activated, initially you'll need to have a computer or working phone to do so. But once you get it activated it works great.

With the router, you can connect to multiple devices, even at the same time. And all work flawless. In the camper we have 2 Roku televisions (plus 2 televisions that are not smart televisions), 2 lap top computers (since I retired I turned in both of my company laptops... we use to have 4 laptops connected at the same time), and an Ipad. They all work together at the same time.

Our system is getting pretty crazy now, but we've added on parts to it little by little as our needs changed over the last couple years.

So now, it starts with the Weboost booster antenna outside the camper. That amplifies the cell phone receptions signals for all the major carriers. Signal goes into the antenna, then into the booster, and then out another antenna inside the camper.

We have a ZTE phone we use for Visible (Very cheap phone). It picks up the signal from the booster inside antenna and now sends it the GL-Inet router where the signal now becomes wireless (you can attach 3 hard wires to this one if you want too).

The router signal now transmits through the entire trailer (and beyond ... we use our computers outside a lot), and all our devices pick up the signal and VIOLA! we have internet.

We don't always need the Weboost if the Verision signal is strong enough. It's really nice to have now, as it really does help when the signal is very weak.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:20 AM   #10
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Only 1 device can be attached the phone when using Visible, if that be the phone's hot spot or a wired device. So the way to get around that is to use a very small portable wifi router plugged into the phone. We have a GL-Inet router. One end the wire plugs into the phone the other into the router. The router has to be set up or activated, initially you'll need to have a computer or working phone to do so. But once you get it activated it works great.
Thanks for the info, it looks like a useable alternative to some of the higher priced options. I was on the GL site. Which router do you recommend, there are a lot of options.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:10 AM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Oso View Post
Thanks for the info, it looks like a useable alternative to some of the higher priced options. I was on the GL site. Which router do you recommend, there are a lot of options.
I recently purchased the Winegard 1000 that the RV is prepped for. I got a T-mobile data hotspot plan. It's just a sim card, no phone or contract. $50 a month with 100gb per month. So far it's been great. I love being able to connect to it while driving down the road. I take the trailer out at least one a month so it's worth the $600 a year. But if I want I can suspend service as well.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:56 AM   #12
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
I recently purchased the Winegard 1000 that the RV is prepped for. I got a T-mobile data hotspot plan. It's just a sim card, no phone or contract. $50 a month with 100gb per month. So far it's been great. I love being able to connect to it while driving down the road. I take the trailer out at least one a month so it's worth the $600 a year. But if I want I can suspend service as well.
I just went down the Winegard 1000 route too. I have a current 100GB account that I use with one of T-Mobile's hotspot devices. I have to speak to them to determine if I can transfer the SIM back and forth or if I need a separate SIM for each.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:40 PM   #13
Sandbar Lady

M.O.C. #31890
We just got our 295RL last week! Now we have to wait till Spring in use it as ours is permanently parked at the lake. So I share your excitement on your new 5th wheel!!!
Sandbar Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:16 PM   #14
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbar Lady View Post
We just got our 295RL last week! Now we have to wait till Spring in use it as ours is permanently parked at the lake. So I share your excitement on your new 5th wheel!!!
I see this was your first post. Welcome to the MOC family! Congratulations on your new MHC. Hope you make lots of memories. You'll find lots of friendly, helpful and knowledgeable folks here should you have questions.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:40 AM   #15
Paul M
Established Member

M.O.C. #31545
Another solution isI just got T-Mobile home internet 5g, they have approved it for travel, it seems to work great for 50.00 a month no contract unlimited,it’s a cheap solution. With a low signal it goes to 4lte but it’s enough to steam. There coverage has improved a lots
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote