Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #21
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief05 View Post
There is no memo from lippert concerning the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch. The memo is about the Anderson gooseneck adapter. Here is a link to the memo in a different forum.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83693

Full disclosure, I have the Anderson ultimate for my 372RD. Very happy with the ride.
Sorry Scott, but you are misunderstanding the memo and its implications.

There was a virtual rally in early 2021, where Sam Lengeritch the Product Manager from Montana confirmed that the warranty was changing and that products like the AUH, along with the Pullrite Superlite, and all other hitches that attached any kind of adapter to the pinbox would no longer receive warranty coverage if there was damage to the frame, with the exception of the Reese Goosebox (which is what I now paid to switch over to)
The memo from March confirms this.

To be very clear, I confirmed with Sam that the "gooseneck adapter" is describing the included part of the AUH that attaches to the pinbox. The language in the memo makes that clear, calling it "Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Goose Neck Adapter". Anderson does have a "Ranch Hitch" that is a long "gooseneck adapter" style, which many companies have made a similar style for years. That is not what is described here.
I emailed Sam directly because I intended to use my AUH from my prior rig, and he definitely confirmed that the AUH would void the warranty from LCI.

To be clear - Any hitch that requires any kind of adapter to be attached to the pinbox will void the warranty. This quote from the memo "We approached LCI and were informed that it has not, and it will not, honor or pay any warranty claims for damage to the front end frame/structure or any parts or components of any fifth wheel, when a fifth wheel is being used with any goose neck adapter, with the exception of the “Reese Goose Box”". (my emphasis added)

I would caution anyone still wanting to use the AUH to read the memo and speak to your dealer or Keystone support directly. I would not want anyone to believe that they can still use the AUH and think they would have warranty coverage for frame issues. They won't.

BTW, I still think it's a great hitch, just know your risks.

Brad

Old 12-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #22
chandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #19813
I have the same set-up /3500 short bed. You have 20.5 inches from the forward edge of Anderson hitch to the front of the bed.
chandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #23
Badd857
Established Member

M.O.C. #27505
Anderson Hitch Bashing 😜

It appears some people selectively read or didn’t read at all the memo in question. 😳
Badd857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #24
glb1950
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29808
Thanks for all the posts people, just got word yesterday that my truck has FINALLY made it to the dealer in Caldwell and am picking it up Monday the 13th and will finally be able to measure the vertical height which @PSFORD99 pointed out has humungous rollover on the bulkhead that has to be taken into consideration also. Think I've found a couple that should work but since it's close to home now, I will measure when I get it in my grubby little hands. Was beginning to think I wouldn't see it until 2022 sometime.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #25
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Congratulations. I’m sure it’s been a long wait. I’ve been through it a few times. Enjoy your new truck.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:25 PM   #26
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd857 View Post
It appears some people selectively read or didn’t read at all the memo in question. 😳
What's your take on the memo?

Brad
Old 12-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #27
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by glb1950 View Post
Thanks for all the posts people, just got word yesterday that my truck has FINALLY made it to the dealer in Caldwell and am picking it up Monday the 13th and will finally be able to measure the vertical height which @PSFORD99 pointed out has humungous rollover on the bulkhead that has to be taken into consideration also. Think I've found a couple that should work but since it's close to home now, I will measure when I get it in my grubby little hands. Was beginning to think I wouldn't see it until 2022 sometime.
Congrats!
Glad to get some good news, it seems a bit rare right now when it comes to getting things delivered on time.

Enjoy, and hope you have many fun adventures!

Brad
Old 12-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #28
Dee_Dub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24453
I have a 2016 RAM 3500 Megacab (not dual wheel) and had the same problem that you are having. I really wanted to have some sort of tool box / tank solution and still have the ability to install a bed cover. My solution was a fuelbox tank FTC40 - 37 GAL. and TruXport cover.
I had the RAM puck system so I requested that the Fuelbox company move the tank mounts from the front of the tank to the sides. If appears that they now have one mount in the middle. The PUCK system didn’t work for me even after having the tank mounts moved. That is why I went with the Anderson hitch.
This setup works for me. YMMV I am not worried about any warranty issues.
In the attached pictures: The sheet rock T square is up against the truck bulkhead and the tape measure is pushed against the bottom of the tank.
Questions? PM me.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #29
Badd857
Established Member

M.O.C. #27505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
What's your take on the memo?

Brad
Just seems after reading this “memo” it would be subject to install/manufacture date of hitch. Which is just another way to blame crappy engineering and lack of integrity on any other manufacturer other than LCI. My .02
Badd857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #30
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd857 View Post
Just seems after reading this “memo” it would be subject to install/manufacture date of hitch. Which is just another way to blame crappy engineering and lack of integrity on any other manufacturer other than LCI. My .02
Not sure what you mean; the "memo" is real and is the official stance. This was what also was communicated to dealers also.
Next, LCI had already been denying claims, so Montana was being generous in giving customers and dealers a number of weeks notice, and potentially they were paying claims that LCI would not back them up on when they should have. They could easily have stepped back and said "sorry but not my fault". They didn't do that; I don't see a lack of integrity in that; in fact I see the opposite.

As to your comments on LCI, I can't understand whether you mean they are the crappy manufacturer or if you are saying the opposite. Perhaps you can clarify.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 12-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #31
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Sorry Scott, but you are misunderstanding the memo and its implications.

There was a virtual rally in early 2021, where Sam Lengeritch the Product Manager from Montana confirmed that the warranty was changing and that products like the AUH, along with the Pullrite Superlite, and all other hitches that attached any kind of adapter to the pinbox would no longer receive warranty coverage if there was damage to the frame, with the exception of the Reese Goosebox (which is what I now paid to switch over to)
The memo from March confirms this.

To be very clear, I confirmed with Sam that the "gooseneck adapter" is describing the included part of the AUH that attaches to the pinbox. The language in the memo makes that clear, calling it "Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Goose Neck Adapter". Anderson does have a "Ranch Hitch" that is a long "gooseneck adapter" style, which many companies have made a similar style for years. That is not what is described here.
I emailed Sam directly because I intended to use my AUH from my prior rig, and he definitely confirmed that the AUH would void the warranty from LCI.

To be clear - Any hitch that requires any kind of adapter to be attached to the pinbox will void the warranty. This quote from the memo "We approached LCI and were informed that it has not, and it will not, honor or pay any warranty claims for damage to the front end frame/structure or any parts or components of any fifth wheel, when a fifth wheel is being used with any goose neck adapter, with the exception of the “Reese Goose Box”". (my emphasis added)

I would caution anyone still wanting to use the AUH to read the memo and speak to your dealer or Keystone support directly. I would not want anyone to believe that they can still use the AUH and think they would have warranty coverage for frame issues. They won't.

BTW, I still think it's a great hitch, just know your risks.

Brad
Question regarding this clarification: "and all other hitches that attached any kind of adapter"
It would seem that would then include the capture plate that is used with the Pullrite auto slider hitches.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #32
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Question regarding this clarification: "and all other hitches that attached any kind of adapter"
It would seem that would then include the capture plate that is used with the Pullrite auto slider hitches.
Interesting, I'm not familiar with that hitch. In my emails with Sam it was clear that if any hitch required something to be attached to the pinbox, then LCI was saying that might invalidate the warranty. So, it might be that this would cause issues also.
I think if someone was concerned, they should check with their dealer, or likely better to run it past Keystone support.

Brad
Old 12-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #33
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Badd is correct, though, that there is a line-in-the-sand date stated in the memo. Our Andersen, for instance, has been used since we picked up our Monty from the dealer. They have it documented so there's no doubt it's been used since the beginning and before the memo date. Whether or not any claim would be approved is a big question mark but the claim also wouldn't be blanketly denied

From the memo:

We want to give you some runway to adjust to our updated policy on Anderson Goose Neck Adapters. Therefore, should a dealer/customer encounter a failure on any Keystone, Dutchmen or CrossRoads product which is thought to be affected by the use of the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Goose Neck Adapters installed prior to March 15, 2021, follow the normal process to receive warranty consideration for those claims.

Any Anderson Goose Neck Adapters installed after March 15, 2021, will not be eligible for warranty consideration. Proof of the date of the Anderson installation will be required as part of any claim
submission.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:13 PM   #34
Salineriverman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29050
I have a 2020 3500 crew cab srw 6’4” bed with factory puck. I’ll remeasure tomorrow but if you’re looking at a tank that is 19” deep I think that is too wide. The tank I’ve been looking at is 16.5” high and 12” deep and 55” wide .
I also have the Anderson hitch. Is your truck a dually? If so it could be different from mine.
Salineriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #35
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
No same bed , the megacab dually is the 6-4 bed .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:52 AM   #36
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The adjustment is on the Trailer Saver Air Ride hitch. The adjustments are on the Trailer Saver to prevent the hitch from movement inside the puck system.

i don't know what other 5th wheel hitches use to adapt to the Puck system. GM Puck system is welded to the frame, no move.

It is apparent we don't see eye to eye. I'm disappointed in that. However, I'm hear to help anyone I can. I not here to debate YOU or anyone else.

Happy trails.
Seems to be a real trend here. Not sure it should continue.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote