Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 10:11 PM   #21
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Oil will be around long after the grandchildren of anyone reading this will be around. Oil is not just used for fuel. Technology evolves, so will the RV industry and so will anyone currently using IC engines. It is inevitable. But it will be gradual and we'll all be able to do exactly what we are right now... just differently.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 12-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Oil will be around long after the grandchildren of anyone reading this will be around. Oil is not just used for fuel. Technology evolves, so will the RV industry and so will anyone currently using IC engines. It is inevitable. But it will be gradual and we'll all be able to do exactly what we are right now... just differently.

The Saudi oil minister said in about 1974 ‘the Stone Age didn’t end because we ran out of rocks and the oil age won’t end because we run out of petroleum.
That is just or more true today as it was then.
Lynwood
Old 12-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #23
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Honestly I don't believe that an EV could ever pull a 5th wheel trailer for the way we use them. EV's are not the answer to alternate power, they suck the grid and battery technology can only go so far. I would never purchase any EV.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #24
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
Honestly I don't believe that an EV could ever pull a 5th wheel trailer for the way we use them. EV's are not the answer to alternate power, they suck the grid and battery technology can only go so far. I would never purchase any EV.
EV does not necessarily require batteries... today's technology won't do it, but yesterdays technology would not have supported communicating on this forum, and it would have been considered the stuff of fantasy or witchcraft.

Never say never

Brad
Old 12-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #25
rvnheadhunter

M.O.C. #28776
Ever hear of the Hindenburg?
Old 12-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I wouldn’t say an EV could never pull a camper but I would say I wouldn’t buy one to pull a camper with the present batteries. There are new more powerful batteries being developed. An EV would be perfect for my wife’s car to get groceries with. But for my every day truck it wouldn’t work. I’ll keep an open mind.
Lynwood
Old 12-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #27
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnheadhunter View Post
Ever hear of the Hindenburg?
umm, duh ya... but if you're going to use analogies maybe you could find one newer than almost a century old. Or do you really believe that technology has done nothing since then? ... (actually that might explain your reactions to the topic)

I'm with Lynwood, I wouldn't buy an EV to pull my 5th wheel today, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Brad
Old 12-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #28
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
EV does not necessarily require batteries... today's technology won't do it, but yesterdays technology would not have supported communicating on this forum, and it would have been considered the stuff of fantasy or witchcraft.

Never say never

Brad
Please explain how an EV works without a battery?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 12-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Solar panels, lots of them and only in the day. Not even governor moon beams can make them work at night.
Just a little fun.
Lynwood
Old 12-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #30
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
There are a number of technologies; the one that has the most development is hydrogen fuel cells to power the electric motors. GM and Navistar are planning on implementing this in about a year on a significant portion of the JB Hunt fleet.
If a long haul trucking company proves it can be done, that will be a significant milestone.
But again, that is just one of the technologies under development.

Brad
Old 12-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #31
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Too many issues for EV.... First is the Grid..... Second is what to do with the toxic battery waste.. 3rd.There is more energy used to get what one gallon of gasoline equal to an ev in mpg.... In other words, Voltage loss and drop from the power plant to the outlet... If the powers that be really believed the hogwash they spew they would build a state of the art mass public transportation system... There is too much money in Gas Taxes, Auto registration, fed taxes on tires, fines, etc... Now they are looking at taxing by the mile....
Old 12-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #32
Anatnom
Established Member

M.O.C. #23514
Texas shut down not just because of the failures of transmission lines but because the electrical company and the politicians decided to opt out of sharing ... so when Texas power failed they could not get power from other companies out of the state. Texas politicians wanted it this way and you saw the result. You now know what needs to happen to fix the problem sharing can help when there is an issue. I'm glad I live up north where gas prices are cheaper and we have neighbor states that will work with us in an emergency situation
Old 12-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #33
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
thing is we have more Oil and natural gas and coal than any place on the planet..Since they say carbon levels are rising... Just plant more trees...
Old 12-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #34
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Too many issues for EV.... First is the Grid..... Second is what to do with the toxic battery waste.. 3rd.There is more energy used to get what one gallon of gasoline equal to an ev in mpg.... In other words, Voltage loss and drop from the power plant to the outlet... If the powers that be really believed the hogwash they spew they would build a state of the art mass public transportation system... There is too much money in Gas Taxes, Auto registration, fed taxes on tires, fines, etc... Now they are looking at taxing by the mile....
... or you don't use batteries. That solves most of your issues. No issues with grid, no voltage drop from electrical plants, etc, etc.

Next, toxic battery waste? That one seems to popup all over yet there are early Prius and other hybrids that are 15+ years old and most on original batteries; and those were very old nicad tech, not lithium which has proven to be a big step up in longevity. Seriously, there is toxic waste in every part of every vehicle; this one just seems to be a convenient way to bash something new and different.

Lastly, on taxing by the mile? Well right now we are paying taxes at the pump, so changing the tax method means nothing if in the end the rates remain the same. Which, right now, I don't think anyone knows.

And, to be clear, I don't own an EV but am keeping an open mind. It seems there are many who want to focus on all of the current limitations and not be open to the future. I'm interested in the future as I expect to be there.

YMMV, and IMHO

Brad
Old 12-12-2021, 02:23 PM   #35
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
... or you don't use batteries. That solves most of your issues. No issues with grid, no voltage drop from electrical plants, etc, etc.

Next, toxic battery waste? That one seems to popup all over yet there are early Prius and other hybrids that are 15+ years old and most on original batteries; and those were very old nicad tech, not lithium which has proven to be a big step up in longevity. Seriously, there is toxic waste in every part of every vehicle; this one just seems to be a convenient way to bash something new and different.

Lastly, on taxing by the mile? Well right now we are paying taxes at the pump, so changing the tax method means nothing if in the end the rates remain the same. Which, right now, I don't think anyone knows.

And, to be clear, I don't own an EV but am keeping an open mind. It seems there are many who want to focus on all of the current limitations and not be open to the future. I'm interested in the future as I expect to be there.

YMMV, and IMHO

Brad
We own a Hybrid.. When an EV can go 1000 miles on a charge and take 10 minutes to charge, I will be first in line... However, right Now I love our Ram Diesel, and my hotrods... In between right now but looking at a C5 corvette convertible..
Old 12-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #36
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
We own a Hybrid.. When an EV can go 1000 miles on a charge and take 10 minutes to charge, I will be first in line... However, right Now I love our Ram Diesel, and my hotrods... In between right now but looking at a C5 corvette convertible..
Love those Corvettes!

But, why 1000 miles? Almost no ICE vehicles have that range; in fact I don't know if there are any that would unless there are extra tanks added?

Brad
Old 12-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #37
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I just wonder about the weight issues, with EV's on the big Trucks. Guess the Government will increase the weight for Big Trucks. Battery's are not light in weight. Then what about the cost? Then what about getting rid of the battery's. At my age it will not matter, But, we know what happens when Government gets involved. Thats why gas/diesel is exploding in cost. Oil is the life blood of America. There is not many items made in America that don't require OIL.

We have been blessed to travel thru out America. Sitting in Florida today, and will be here for 6 months. Will return to Florida next year God willing and if there is Diesel. If not I will stay in Tennessee in my old Log House. What ever I will be happy, with the one I love.

Just imagine if there was no diesel. Florida for example would be almost empty. Everyone in this RV resort at one time was in and RV. More than likely.

Happy trails.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #38
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
I just wonder about the weight issues, with EV's on the big Trucks. Guess the Government will increase the weight for Big Trucks. Battery's are not light in weight. Then what about the cost? Then what about getting rid of the battery's. At my age it will not matter, But, we know what happens when Government gets involved. Thats why gas/diesel is exploding in cost. Oil is the life blood of America. There is not many items made in America that don't require OIL.

We have been blessed to travel thru out America. Sitting in Florida today, and will be here for 6 months. Will return to Florida next year God willing and if there is Diesel. If not I will stay in Tennessee in my old Log House. What ever I will be happy, with the one I love.

Just imagine if there was no diesel. Florida for example would be almost empty. Everyone in this RV resort at one time was in and RV.

Happy trails.
I agree with the battery weight issues and commercial transportation. Every extra pound of vehicle weight means 1 less pound of cargo.
I believe that is why the GM/Navistar/JB Hunt trial may be so important. All the benefits of EV and no batteries!

And, while we are at it... it seems to have been lost that there ARE a lot of advantages of an electric motor vehicle. Much quieter engine, but have you ever driven a Tesla or other modern fully electric vehicle? It is eye opening. INSTANT torque and it accelerates while you are thinking about it - it seems like you accelerate before your foot moves. No warm up times, no cool down times, no starting and stopping the motor in traffic as an interim way to save energy. And almost always way more power and torque compared to the ICE they replace. (the worlds fastest production car for acceleration is a Tesla, and exotic ICE vehicles are getting left further behind)
If anyone thinks that an older hybrid is what an EV drives like, they would be amazed to find out the difference.

So, to me, I think the key is solving the energy storage. Short term that includes improved battery technology. But long term there are many other technologies that will very likely generate the required electricity.

Either way, modern high torque electric motors are FAR superior to ICE in about every possible way.

Brad
Old 12-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #39
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
We lived through good ole Carter years also.

Plus being scared to death in Elementary school, in fear we would drown 'any time now' because of the Ice caps. We kept looking out the window's waiting for the water to arrive.

We also traveled in 08 when gas was sky high. Why, because we wanted to.

EV--pfft, If anyone wishes to buy a EV RV, more power to ya or maybe not.

For now, it is not a thought in our minds. Not interested in the rhetoric, to be frank.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:09 PM   #40
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo View Post
We lived through good ole Carter years also.

Plus being scared to death in Elementary school, in fear we would drown 'any time now' because of the Ice caps. We kept looking out the window's waiting for the water to arrive.

We also traveled in 08 when gas was sky high. Why, because we wanted to.

EV--pfft, If anyone wishes to buy a EV RV, more power to ya or maybe not.

For now, it is not a thought in our minds. Not interested in the rhetoric, to be frank.
I see no reason for EV's. Imagine in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana in the winter months and you get snowed in on the interstate, those battery's run down. Now way to bring you 5 gals of battery.

I don't even think I would ever consider and EV. Thats my opinion.

Happy trails.
Closed Thread