Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #1
Naknekm

M.O.C. #30079
WiFi plug in on ceiling…how do I use it?

I have a 2021 Montana High Country that I just bought. It has a place on the ceiling in the bedroom where it says WiFi ….I am not sure how it is used. I read somewhere that there is an antenna on top and you just plug in the correct router and get a plan and you are set for internet from cell towers. Does anyone have any information or ideas on how this is used and with what? Thanks in advance.

Marty

Naknekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:20 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
If it's the Furrion system like ours, you can get their router and service. It's quite expensive. https://furrion.com/pages/access
I already have an AT&T unlimited plan with a 4g router, so I tapped into the antenna and hooked my Netgear router to it. It has pretty good reception, compared to just using the router's internal antenna. I ended up using the 12v power available there also and put in a USB plug that I can use to charge my router. Mine is on the wall, so I used command strips to mount it near the Furrion connector, then got 2 SMA to T9 connectors (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to plug into my router's antenna ports.
Here's the USB plug I installed...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
to much for little

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
If it's the Furrion system like ours, you can get their router and service. It's quite expensive. https://furrion.com/pages/access
I already have an AT&T unlimited plan with a 4g router, so I tapped into the antenna and hooked my Netgear router to it. It has pretty good reception, compared to just using the router's internal antenna. I ended up using the 12v power available there also and put in a USB plug that I can use to charge my router. Mine is on the wall, so I used command strips to mount it near the Furrion connector, then got 2 SMA to T9 connectors (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to plug into my router's antenna ports.
Here's the USB plug I installed...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Went this direction for wifi/internet at first thinking it was the easiest because of the installed antenna/connections/simplicity, wrong... the cost of equipment was ridiculous, cost of data was limited and to expensive for what you got., lousey customer service to no customer service that could figure out why my equipment would not work, a week of hassles, gave up and sent it all back. Then they didn`t want to refund my data plan fees caused I used it to try and set up the equipment.
Fast forward...... bought the Visible unlimited data plan $25.00 dollars a month, bought a cheap phone from them $65.00 that came with the necessary Sim card already installed, bought a cheap router off Amazon for $29.00, joined a party system for free, can cancel any time no contracts. It all worked from the day i plugged it in, no hassles no stupid customer service people that can`t speak English. It`s part of the Verizon network towers so reception every where and strong. The only place it would not work was at a campground in Kentucky in a valley out in the middle of no where, My ATT phone would not work either so no fault to Visible. Forget campground wifi that won`t let you do anything and cut you off when they think you`ve used enough data. You can burn up what expensive data you have by watching 1 or 2 movies. Not with Visible, a small investment that works the first time you turn it on, try it you`ll like it. Play with it for a couple of months you`ll see Then go out and buy a one of the those PajamaGrams for your wife for Christmas , she`ll turn into the girl on their commercials when she puts it on......Yikes!!!

https://www.visible.com/
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
most likely it is a WINEGARD AIR 360+

There is info here from Keystone:
https://www.keystonerv.com/innovations/4glte-wifi-prep

hope this helps,
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Not sure what your concept of expensive is. We have a 2021 with the Air 360+ from Winegard. The Gateway is about $300. We use the T-Mobile 100gb plan for $50/month. Ours works great.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:00 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I heard the Winegard system was better in that you can use your own sim card on an existing plan. Our 2019 came with the Furrion system pre-wired. Theirs won't allow you to use your own plan, AFAIK. Their router is nearly $400.00 and the plans are
0.5GB - $14.49 p/m
1GB - $19.49 p/m
3GB - 34.49 p/m
5GB - $49.49 p/m
10GB - $64.49 p/m
Since I can use over 100GB in a week with work and streaming TV, that's not gonna cut it.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:56 AM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
OP has a 2021. Should be all Winegard. Nice thing about the Winegard is it works with SIM cards or WiFi signal. I just search for signal, log onto my hotspot (or CG WiFi) and it rebroadcasts my own SSID. Which makes Visible a viable alternative. At $25-$40 per month, it is supposed to be true unlimited. I have also heard Verizon has a WiFi plan for home business. I need to check more into it.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:02 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Last I checked, Verizon did have an unlimited plan. It still has throttling after a certain threshold. My AT&T plan is grandfathered since the iPhone first came out. I've never been throttled (knock on wood), but it can happen after 25GB when network is congested. I've been very lucky I guess.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:09 AM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Robert, a friend of ours just got a 500 gb plan for reasonable for their home. I have not been over to see it yet, but she got it as a small business. The problem we run into in rural Colorado (mountains) is a lack of access to cellular and WiFi. They are in an area with access to WiFi (we are not). With that said, my T-Mobile hotspot actually gets signal next to my house and I don’t have Verizon signal at the house. If I get more info on her system, I will post but we are visiting kids for Christmas.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:13 AM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
That sounds pretty good. I'd appreciate any info you can give me. There's been times where an alternative to AT&T would be a good thing. We have had a few places where coverage is spotty at best.
Thank you.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #11
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
What?

Quote:
That sounds pretty good. I'd appreciate any info you can give me. There's been times where an alternative to AT&T would be a good thing. We have had a few places where coverage is spotty at best.
Thank you.

Missing one important point. With all these other ideas/Plans is the cost if your willing to pay, it`s your money. With Visible I leave the cheap phone and little 29 dollar router in the camper full time. You have to take your phone with you every time you leave the camper and lose any connection you may have had. My phone is on and receiving wifi 24/7/365.
I have 2 of the Micro -Air thermostats that need wifi, you can adjust and monitor the interior temps from any where. If you have pets that you need to leave behind on a stinking hot day you know what I mean. I also have security cameras on the inside and out side that can be monitored or accessed from anywhere any time. This is great for keeping an eye on the little rascal's. You can talk to them from the security camera, it really freaks them out to hear you but not see you. My home thermostat is wifi and we turn on the A/C or heat when we leave the campground to get the house comfortable before we get home. Same with security cameras inside and outside the house to with motion detectors to alert you. The whole system runs off USB cord from one of the plug towers connect to battery drawing Milly amps so no problem there and you can use this going down the road as the signal reaches into the truck easily. All this for 25 dollars a month.
I had the Winegaurd system with the 360+ antenna, sent it back, could never get it to work with the ATT sim card and was $65.00 month for only 25 gigs and the 24/7/365 access just wasn`t going to work to much sign on issues every time you wanted to use it. I`ll pass on anything else.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:24 AM   #12
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have a dedicated router for 4g to AT&T. That takes the place of your phone and allows me to connect external antennas for better reception that a phone just doesn't offer. Whenever we are on the road, it is connected. It feeds signal to a dedicated wifi router as the WAN side of the equation that in turn serves all the devices in the camper. We also have 2 micro air thermostats, security cameras, Echo dots, fire sticks, etc. All these connect to the dedicated wifi router that stays in the camper. So far it all works well, except for the times where AT&T coverage is poor or network traffic is congested.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I am always amazed at how many of us think our solution is the best. However, everyone of us camps and lives differently. And we all have different budgets. For us, I was looking for a way to connect into fast WiFi without having to reset Firestick, Blink, Echo, WiFi plugs and computers every stop. The Winegard allows us to tap into fast WiFi, SIM cards or hot spots. We found our unlimited phone from Verizon only gave us 15 gb in hotspot mode. A friend told us about the T-Mobile plan which has been offered and discontinued. We get 100 gb for $55/month ($50 if I autopay) on a Franklin hotspot device. Unbelievably it works at our house on the mountain, vs nothing with our Verizon. So, our T-Mobile Franklin stays working 24/7 in our Montana, plus gives us backup WiFi when we get 100 mph winds and lose power like last week at home. Plus we have another 30 gb available with our Verizon phones. We have been waiting for Elon to lead us from the darkness. Our friend’s business WiFi plan is cheaper yet for 500 gb/month. And, it could also stay in the RV. So, there are lots of options out there for your needs and budgets. Most of us were trying to respond to the original question- what’s that WiFi thing on the ceiling? It is but one option and has allowed us flexibility and 24/7 internet without leaving our phone in our unit. And, with In-Command I can check on the temp, change the temp, turn on lights and get notices if something goes wrong. Again, we all have different needs. Find what works for you and enjoy your journey. The only thing certain about technology is it is constantly changing.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #14
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Smile

Quote:
Thanks for the great idea Robert. We also have the Furrion wall plate in our rig. Our MiFi is a WE826-T2 and 4G LTE modem. I just looked behind the Furrion and can use the antenna connections as they are. I’ll need to splice into 12VDC pwr to connect it up. We currently have it behind the TV. This what I like about MOC. I learn something almost every day.
Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:11 PM   #15
Naknekm

M.O.C. #30079
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since my 5th wheel has the Winegard antenna and is set up for it, I bought the router that is designed for it. I will sign up for a subscription.

I am working remotely and need good internet and my business will pay for it and get partial tax deduction, so the $80 a month is not a burden. I probably will closely monitor my usage and if I can’t use it for streaming without running out of gigs, then I won’t stream tv and videos. I understand that it is also a WiFi enhancer.

Does anyone have any experience with whether that feature works? BTW, I have a Verizon phone and 2 line subscription. I hope that helps me.

Thanks again!
Naknekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:44 AM   #16
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Naknekm, my sister has a Winegard system that is wifi extender only. It doesn't have the built in 4g like you are looking at. The wifi extender part seems to work quite well. She is able to pick up my wifi from several campsites away and rebroadcast inside and around her camper. The Winegard was given to her by a family member. I don't recall the model she has, but it is offered in both 4g and wifi only. She has the latter.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #17
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Here’s a quick pic of our mod. Finished it today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5B973677-AC40-49DA-9B70-C79C476C8465.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	10863
Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:34 PM   #18
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Looks nice!
Old 01-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #19
Tricky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23654
Is the Winegard capable of allowing use of devices in truck while going down road?
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:50 AM   #20
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
If it is powered and connected, I would think so. I have my AT&T Netgear router and the internal wifi router connected to DC power near the steps to the bedroom where the Furrion pre-install was. I can connect from within the truck while driving. My wife has an old Samsung Note 4 that she plays games on. It is not activated with a SIM card, but only works on wifi. She has not trouble connecting while we are driving using this set up.
I would think the Winegard would work similarly.
Of course, the Echo Dot and Firesticks, etc. use AC power, so they do not work going down the road.