Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
Icetug

M.O.C. #29712
Angry What is the normal temp on your fridge?

2020 Montana Hight Country with a Dometic RM1350SLX fridge.

Wondering what everyone else has for normal refrigerator temperatures. Mine will only keep mid 20s in the freezer and 40s in the fridge. Doesn't matter what temperature number I have it set at 1 or 5.

I had a service tech come out and he couldn't find anything wrong with the unit. Said maybe it had a bubble or clog inside the tubing. The only thing he recommended was taking it out and turning it upside down a few times to see if that helped. Gave it 50/50 chance. He really just wanted to rip it apart and put in an amish cooling unit but we couldn't stick around for that. Plus the cost.

I've tried all the normal tricks. Changed the thermistor, checked the cooling fans, added an extra fan to push more air through outside fins, added an interior fan to move air in the fridge box, checked the seals, made sure it is level.

It doesn't matter if I'm on propane or electric it just doesn't cool much. Outside temps are not high either. 40s at night and 60 day so that isn't it either.

Thoughts?

Icetug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #2
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Something’s I need to set to #5, my coil was replace 3 years ago with a with an Amish instead of the factory Norcold. Even in 100+ degrees we’re able to keep the freezer at 16 to 18 and the frig at 32 to 36.

Frig
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1642452499
Freezer
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1642452496
Setting
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1642452496
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF660906-AE91-4B5B-80EF-F36CFE1B8ACB.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	10990   Click image for larger version

Name:	461C9368-B0FB-4A8D-AA18-5596423339E3.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	10991   Click image for larger version

Name:	0BA08875-1B0E-4416-AF51-A56C823B0D1C.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	10992  

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have a Norcold 2118. Set on 5 I get the same.
20⁰ in the freezer, 40⁰F in the fridge.
I bought the fan kits. I'll be doing the install one of these days...
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
You might try removing the thermistor from the fin it is attached to and just let it hang in the air inside the box. What this should do is trick the controller to think it is calling for cooling. Then monitor your temps. These things don't cool real fast so be patient. If you can see the temps from the outside great, and you will know in a couple of hours. If you have to open the doors to see the temps, I'd leave both doors closed for 4 hours then check it. If change leave doors closed and recheck in maybe two hours. If it begins cooling below the 20's & 40's you were getting, the thermistor is either defective or the wrong one. This is just a trouble shooting step. You can't leave it off forever or it will freeze everything up even in your fridge.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:02 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
My eight year old Dometic RM1350 cools lower section to 33 easily and freezer section to about 14 degrees... fridge is stock, no added fans, etc..

I do clean the evap coil every season with my air compressor and thats it... the left door flap seal if not closing right on the RM1350 will cause frdige to not cool properly.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:27 PM   #6
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetug View Post

Wondering what everyone else has for normal refrigerator temperatures. Mine will only keep mid 20s in the freezer and 40s in the fridge. Doesn't matter what temperature number I have it set at 1 or 5.

I had a service tech come out and he couldn't find anything wrong with the unit. Said maybe it had a bubble or clog inside the tubing. The only thing he recommended was taking it out and turning it upside down a few times to see if that helped. Gave it 50/50 chance. He really just wanted to rip it apart and put in an amish cooling unit but we couldn't stick around for that. Plus the cost.

I've tried all the normal tricks. Changed the thermistor, checked the cooling fans, added an extra fan to push more air through outside fins, added an interior fan to move air in the fridge box, checked the seals, made sure it is level.

It doesn't matter if I'm on propane or electric it just doesn't cool much. Outside temps are not high either. 40s at night and 60 day so that isn't it either.

Thoughts?
One thing to check on the outside top vent is to make sure your baffles are placed properly so that the air flow goes through the heat exchanger fins. All the air flow needs to go through those fins and out the vent. Also check that all the space around the back of the fridge is sealed well so no air gets in above or in the sides of the fridge. I have the same fridge. If it is in a slide out, thats where they have the most issues. I had all kinds of issues same as you. I got fed up and replaced the cooling unit with a 12V compressor unit from JC Refrigeration in Indiana. Runs off 12 volt and can run it 24/7. No more propane to worry about while traveling, or otherwise.
I now have a freezer thats 15-20 below, and maintain my refrigerator at 35-37 in 100+ degree heat. Way faster recovery on temps when going in and out of the fridge. Minutes instead of hours. 40 degrees and up starts bacteria growth and food spoils much faster. You want an average refrigerator temp of 36-37 degrees. I f you cannot get it to cool properly, converting it to 12V compressor driven is the way to go IMO. Solid construction, heavy tubing, more solid than a residential in that regard. Works the same way as a residential. Don’t need an inverter. Hope you get it to work.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:01 PM   #7
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Quote:
You might try removing the thermistor from the fin it is attached to and just let it hang in the air inside the box.
Our Domestic runs 8-10 degrees in the freezer and 36-38 degrees in the fridge. This is all on a setting of 5 on the display.

There are many posts here on the forum about repositioning your thermistor tab. Mine originally was positioned about 6 inches from the side of the fridge. I was on a setting of 8 or 9 and the freezer was running about 25-30degrees and the fridge was in the high 40’s. That wasn’t good at all. I started un-clipping and moving the thermistor further to the left on the fins. Right now it is sitting just to the left of the middle of the fin panel in the fridge. The point is you to play with your thermistor to find a good spot to set it to get the temperature range you want.

Don
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:04 PM   #8
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Try these things.

Google snip-the-tip and see if they have an adjustable thermistor for your refer.

The best way to move air through the cooling unit is to suck it through by putting the fan(s) on the exhaust vent forcing air out.

Google 'The Muddypaws Mod' and give it a try if your thermistor is compatible, I.e you can get a layer of foam from a coffee cup between the thermistor and the fin.

I have an 18 year old Norcold 1201LRIM. The much maligned 'worst refer ever' if you believe what you read in the RV media. I put 4 120mm muffin fans ON the exhaust vent pushing air out. It worked so well I had to remove the Muddypaws Mod. My refer stays at 33° and the freezer is normally at -18°.

I was a beta tester for Snip The Tip and talked Rod into making them for Norcold refers. I also developed the Muddypaws Mod.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:28 PM   #9
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetug View Post

Thoughts?
38 and -1. Res fridge though.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:50 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Mine is a Samsung Residential. Freezer is -2, Refer is +34. (F). Stays there just fine, regardless of any outside ambient temperature.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic rm1350, propane refridgerator