Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #1
Mopar_Mudder
Established Member

M.O.C. #29014
Bigger fresh water tank

Has anyone ever had the bottom off a 2017 3790rd to see if their is room for a bigger fresh water tank? Also recomend a GOOD tank monitor system that actually work?

Mopar_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Our fresh water lasts us about 9 days. If we need more, I’ll buy a bladder. We have had SeeLevel Gages on our last two units. They are circuit boards attached to the outside of the tanks.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have the Mopeka propane tank monitors. They work really well. They are ultra-sonic. They go on the outside of the tank.I recently found out they also make holding tank monitors. I don't know how good they are.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:58 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have no desire to change sensors or change the original tank on my Montana, so I can't help answer your question on these. However, one thing you should consider? If you are wanting a larger fresh water tank, you will most likely need larger black and grey holding tanks too. Unless you can dump on the ground.

It sounds like you are camping in areas where you do not have full hook-ups. If that is the case, the grey and black holding tanks have a limited capacity too.

It's just something to think about.

We camp at State Parks and, except for a few rare occasions, we've not had full hook-ups. We do at private campgrounds, but very, very few State Parks.

To get around the water "in" and water "out" problem, years ago I purchased a "Blue Tote" to haul our "waste water" to the dump station. There are some people who absolutely hate these things. I can't say I "love" dealing with my waste water, but I do "love" have the ability to dump without having to break camp and drag the camper to the dump station over 2 or 3 days. (our tanks are not that big either).

When we did state park camping (for years), we'd always attempt to pick a site that was within "garden hose length" of the common water spigot. That all changed and opened a new world for us when we purchased a water tank and a water transfer pump. The water tank came from TSC (Tractor Supply Company - 35 gallon) and the water transfer pump came from Lowe's. The water pump is 120 volt AC, but we also have a 400 wattt inverter we keep in the truck all the time. So if we do not have AC power for the water pump, we can always plug the inverter into the cigarette lighter and plug the pump into the inverter. It world great!

For us, carrying the 2 portable "tanks" (Barker Blue Tote) and 35 gallon fresh water tank, we are able to camp almost anywhere. Provided we still have a source for fresh water, and a dump station within a reasonable driving distance.

How I dump at home:

Fresh water tank:

My previous camper (Keystone), but works the same for the Montana:

DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
This is a picture of the fresh water tank on our 2020 3121rl. I'm assuming they are all similar. To me it doesn't look like an easy thing to do.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
This is a picture of the fresh water tank on our 2020 3121rl. I'm assuming they are all similar. To me it doesn't look like an easy thing to do.

Was it full when you took that picture?
It looks like it has a pretty good bow in it.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I've owned 3 Montana fivers and the fresh water monitors were all pretty accurate unlike waste tanks.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #8
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Was it full when you took that picture?
It looks like it has a pretty good bow in it.
Yes. At least 3/4.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:46 PM   #9
Mopar_Mudder
Established Member

M.O.C. #29014
Just to update I just ordered another fresh water tank to match the factor 50 Gallon tank that I will be installing.

I also ordered a Seelevel monitor for all the tanks and the Mopeka system for the LP tanks.

Plenty of room for the second tank right above the rear axle, just need to fab up the bracing to hold it in place.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:54 PM   #10
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post
Just to update I just ordered another fresh water tank to match the factor 50 Gallon tank that I will be installing.

I also ordered a Seelevel monitor for all the tanks and the Mopeka system for the LP tanks.

Plenty of room for the second tank right above the rear axle, just need to fab up the bracing to hold it in place.
Thanks! I was wondering about that.

And, to those who say what about the waste water? As noted, we have a 50 gallon fresh water tank, but total of 88 gallons of grey water and 49 gallons of black water capacity. (Yes, I know on the specs it says 66 gallons of fresh water, but that's if you count the water lines and water heater, none of which are useful).
So, I ask... why do we have 137 gallons of waste capacity and only 50 gallons of fresh water to fill those with??? Most competitors have far more fresh water capacity; our last SOB model was much lower end and had 88 gallons fresh listed, and a smaller water heater, so a 75 gallon tank.

I really think there should have been 90 to 100 gallons of fresh water available and I like the idea of a second 50 gallon tank. But I may just go with a bladder and a pump... not sure I'm up for the work to mount a second tank, and not sure how I would manage filling and emptying it. But open to more info!

Either way, we run low on fresh water WAY before we worry about dumping waste water.

Brad
Old 01-18-2022, 07:45 AM   #11
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
mopar, all i can say is you have more energy than me. good luck.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:51 AM   #12
Mopar_Mudder
Established Member

M.O.C. #29014
It is not going to be a simple task to just bolt in. You do need to make, weld, build supports and such. Luckily for me that is not as issue I have all the equipment to do it.

As far as filling it I am actually going to just tee the two tanks together so they act as one. Nothing will change on the fill side of things, you fill like normal and the tanks both stay at the same level because they are plumbed together with a cross over line.

For drain I am going to add that to the cross over with a valve so they both drain together. Get rib of having to crawl under and take that stupid drain cap off. I might put a valve in the crossover so I can block off the second tank in case I just want to use one.