Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Green movement

I have been wondering about what us RV'ers are going to do when fuel prices become totally exorbant or unavailable. EV's would need a pretty huge battery bank. I would think the RV manufacturers would have some plan for this event but I have not read or seen any info on what it could be.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
I have been wondering about what us RV'ers are going to do when fuel prices become totally exorbant or unavailable. EV's would need a pretty huge battery bank. I would think the RV manufacturers would have some plan for this event but I have not read or seen any info on what it could be.
Personal opinion here...
First, I suspect the fuel prices are likely to level off and not continue to spike. But industry analysts are divided on this, so I could be completely wrong on that one.

Second, as to availability, I believe the transportation industry will require availability of fossil fuels for a couple of decades, perhaps more. On this, the industry analysts are more in agreement.

Now, how that plays into the RV manufacturers plans - my guess is that the reason we have not heard of any plans is because there aren't any

Ok, conjecture session ended!

Brad
Old 12-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Fuel prices are not as high (yet) as they were back in the 2012-2014 time frame when even Texans were paying over $4/gal. Most likely they will fall back again as they usually do. As far as a plan, maybe a passing thought or two. But no action until they are forced to do something.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I believe prices were even higher in 2008. I stayed at the CG at the naval training station right on the beach. I paid around $4.85 one time. And I had to hunt for a station unhooked since they were few and far between in Chicago.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 12-07-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The price of crude will go up over time. It hast to. As we move to renewable sources oil will be phased out and where you can get gasoline and diesel will also become hard to find.
I think, can we become carbon neutral is the question. I don’t see any way. Think of all the millions of barrels of oil we use per day and we are going to replace that with renewable energy. Where are all these wind mills and solar panels going to be installed? Every body wonts them just not in my back yard. Where is all the generating capacity going to come from to power tens of millions of cars and trucks and everything else, our homes and factories.
But what if we don’t move away from carbon based energy. I think this beautiful little green plant could become inhabitable. Not in our life time but I will eventually will happen. Before this happens what can we do to pervert the worst of global warming. Not what society can do but what can we do as individuals do?
What type of planet are we going to leave? It’s something to think about.
Lynwood
Old 12-07-2021, 06:56 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The percentage of "green" energy produced compared to oil is very small. It will take a long time for any viable conversion to happen. There may always be a need for oil based energy consumption, at least with the current technology available. Are we able to change the climate? No. Many of the best places we have to rv at used to be hundreds of feet deep in glaciers that melted way before the first engine was produced. Should we be as efficient as possible? Yes. The rv industry as we know it may ultimately go by the way of covered wagons. They worked fine in the era they were produced. For now, I'm enjoying the blessings available and not worrying about may someday be.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Carbon neutral

During the week of Feb 14, 2020 all of the well intended alternative energy sources failed in Texas. We went 10 days without power at my house. Wood burning fireplace warmed us up to 45* in the family room. My Champion generator kept the TV going. I hope I never have to endure that lifestyle again.

Back in summer 1980, gas prices were going crazy high. I filled up at $0.68 per gal and 2 weeks later I had to pay $0.92 per gallon…completely missed gas priced in the 80 cent range. I hope we are not entering that sort of inflation. Made it thru JimmyCarter 1.0 to see better days.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Old 12-07-2021, 09:47 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
To those thinking about all the green energy so we can stop climate change, here is a link to a fact based video on the historical climate changes. We are actually cooling down now.
"https://youtu.be/IKmz7OGcyzU"

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 12-08-2021, 05:06 AM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
During the week of Feb 14, 2020 all of the well intended alternative energy sources failed in Texas. s.
In all fairness many of the gas fired energy plants failed also.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:35 AM   #10
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
I am thinking this for a while now.
Mainly because I think the RV Full-time will change dramatically when even still possible.
Politics seems to aim globally to draw population into the city hence now other transportation will be necessary.

To RV with an RV I bet we would have to downsize a lot and bye bye to Montys and 5th wheels.

But who knows. Tesla seems to have a good Semi Truck operating already.
https://youtu.be/F06u6rmzTY0

Still Lithium production and mining will be an issue pumping up for a global demand.

I wonder why the industry is not pushing for hydrogen engines. The modification to todays cars would be minimal, expect for the tank and fueling system.
No major impact on automotive work force as we need much les people manufacturing EV's.
Toyota seems the only manufacturer who is still following that through. https://www.toyota.com/mirai/
I think BMW and Mercedes have stalled their development or I just did not read much on them lately.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
Old 12-08-2021, 06:31 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I'm not going to electric vehicles. PERIOD.

I will just park the Montana. Live in the Log House and burn wood.

When America goes electric, green energy etc. America will die. Oil is the life blood of America.

Just thankful for what I have been able to do since 2005. Traveled thru or stayed in 44 States.

I going to do everything legally possible to save America in 2024.

Drill baby Drill.

Happy trails.

Happy trails.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
A fact. Wind energy accounts for about 20% of Texas power, but was publicly blamed for all the electrical problems last winter. An attempt by the powers that be to try to shift the blame to someone else. Gas power plants provide nearly 50% of Texas power. And the loss of those power plants due to plants freezing up and gas pipelines freezing up was far to great for wind power to make up for. Especially so since some of the wind turbines also froze up. Typical finger pointing to avoid blame.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN2AJ2EI
Old 12-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
OK, whenever discussions about higher gas prices pop up, I like to remind everyone (lest we forget).... On Sept 11, 2001 and for a while after that, gas prices skyrocketed. In fact, there were many, many investigations that happened as a result because gas stations were accused of price gouging. I do know, on that day, I paid over $4.00 a gallon in Carmel, Indiana. It was just a short time after that, that same gas station closed and wet out of business.

.... "Lest we forget" ..... There was a LOT more going on than 2 sky scrapers that came down. Our lives were changed that day, forever!
Old 12-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
OK, whenever discussions about higher gas prices pop up, I like to remind everyone (lest we forget).... On Sept 11, 2001 and for a while after that, gas prices skyrocketed. In fact, there were many, many investigations that happened as a result because gas stations were accused of price gouging. I do know, on that day, I paid over $4.00 a gallon in Carmel, Indiana. It was just a short time after that, that same gas station closed and wet out of business.

.... "Lest we forget" ..... There was a LOT more going on than 2 sky scrapers that came down. Our lives were changed that day, forever!

And I’m always reminded of years ago when the chemical industry and the tobacco industry said cigarettes and DDT were safe and cigarettes were actually good for you. We all know how that turned out.
Lynwood
Old 12-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #15
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Texas gambled and lost with regard to extreme cold weather and wind energy.

Preventing it from happening again is easy but it won't be cheap.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/energ...-climates/7321
Old 12-08-2021, 09:29 AM   #16
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I "love" how the push is for EV's. Yet in California the electrical grids cannot even keep up with daily life, led alone charging everybody's cars. Looks like the well wishers on going green, put the cart before the horse.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
Old 12-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #17
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Global Warming, go back 15 - 20 years ago these same people we proclaiming the coming of the Next Ice Age, so who do we really believe.
I'm all for doing what we can, but not at the cost of $10.00 fuel. As mentioned even if we could convert to total electric, where oh where is the energy coming from to power all our homes, buildings, transportation, etc. to keep this Country running?
Old 12-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #18
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
I'm not going to electric vehicles. PERIOD.

I will just park the Montana. Live in the Log House and burn wood.

When America goes electric, green energy etc. America will die. Oil is the life blood of America.

Just thankful for what I have been able to do since 2005. Traveled thru or stayed in 44 States.

I going to do everything legally possible to save America in 2024.

Drill baby Drill.

Happy trails.

Happy trails.
I honestly think electric vehicles make a lot of sense for work commuters. Providing we can get the biggest part of charging them off the grid. These vehicles are driven a relatively short distance and then sit all day. I think photovoltaic covered employee parking lots for EV's only would be a real incentive.

As for oil..... I'm just not knowledgable enough to know how much "easy oil" is left. I'm quite sure it's not an inexhaustible resource. What will happen when we can no longer find anymore if we haven't planned for it is terrifying.

As for politics.... they ALL make promises they cannot or never intended to keep.

Every time I think about getting politically outraged I refer to this photo. I honestly think we're all being duped by the power players. For that reason I've become quite apolitical. Yes I vote but I don't obsess about it the rest of the time.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #19
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
I "love" how the push is for EV's. Yet in California the electrical grids cannot even keep up with daily life, led alone charging everybody's cars. Looks like the well wishers on going green, put the cart before the horse.
Agree 100%!!!!!

And I'm from California and most of my family either lives there or are buried there.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #20
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
Yes. A good read on the subject.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02...s-power-storm/
Closed Thread