Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2022, 11:47 AM   #1
Jennifer Louise

M.O.C. #30104
Black tank

Hello! I need some help. I dumped my black tank 3 days ago. My toilet is backing up, I use plenty of water when flushing. Inside panel reads 2 black tanks, however I only see 1 lever to dump the black tank. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:46 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Please give us the model and year of your Montana. Most Monty's come with two black tanks showing on the panel, but only the ones with two toilets actually use the other one. My first thought would be that your black tank valve may not be closing all the way which would lead to the liquids leaving the tank and the solids staying. When you dumped what did it look like and how much came out?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #3
Jennifer Louise

M.O.C. #30104
It is a 2017 Montana 3810MS. The valve is completely closed. I am not connected to septic, I dump in a portable, then dump that into the septic dump site. It looks like normal s*#t...normal black water dump�� It is only me, so it shouldn't be full after 3 days.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:51 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
According to some of your previous posts, you've been living in this camper for a short while (2-3 months now). In the past did you have any problems dumping the blank tank? How long did you go between dumps before this latest event? And? are you hooked up to a garden hose for your water supply and is the spigot open? Or do you fill your fresh water tank and pump your water from there?

I know the questions are strange, but we need a little more info to help pin point what's going on?

Just curious too? Have you simply run more water through the toilet than in the past? like...???? used 'it" more recently? Or had a guest?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:58 PM   #5
Jennifer Louise

M.O.C. #30104
I am hooked up to water & yes it is open. I usually dump my black tank every 2 weeks. Never an issue before. I had this issue about 1 1/2 weeks ago, but nothing before that. No guests either.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You say the toilet is backing up. It sounds more like a pyramid has built up under the down pipe. You can try a wand type flusher down the toilet (hopefully you have a straight shot down and not the offset piping) to break up the pyramid. Then get the tank near full and use TankDRx to dissolve the buildup https://tanktechsrx.com/product/tank...ck-tanks-16oz/

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:31 PM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
IF, you have a model that has two 45⁰ turns between the toilet and the black tank, the off the shelf toilet wand will not work. It is not long enough to reach the black tank though those two 45⁰turns. If you extend the flexible wand tube to 5' it will work.
I suspect using the Tote to dump, you are not getting the same "woosh" that you would with dumping into a sewer. Dumping into a Tote, you have to slow it down to prevent overflows.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:44 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Thanks for some clarification.

My first thought, as stated above, a poop pyramid has formed in the bottom of the tank. More than likely, it was already started by the previous owner, but over time, it's built up even more. Also, as stated above, using a toilet wand down will help break it up, and then add some enzyme eater type pipe cleaner into the tank and let it sit for a few days to help break up the build up.

The second thought I had was, you could have a leak in your toilet. But you'd need two leaks happening at the same time.

The first would be, the water is not shutting off completely at the toilet and you are not noticing it. If you are connected with a garden hose you'll never hear anything. However, if you were pumping water from your fresh water tank with the on-board water pump, you'd hear the pump running every time it turned on to keep pumping leaking water. It takes only about 2 ounces of water to turn the water pump on and off because there is no pressure tank.

But if this is the case, then you'd also have to have a leaking seal in the bottom of the toilet bowl allowing the running water to flow on down into the holding tank. So in order to blow this theory out, the simple question is, does your toilet hold water or does it go dry between flushes? If it goes dry, the seal is leaking. If it keeps some water in the bottom, it's not leaking and, if not leaking, the bowl would fill up completely before the tank would.

So, if this is the case, then that leaves the poop pyramid syndrome as the cause.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:19 AM   #9
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The pyramid theory is likely. Especially if draining into a portable tank. Folks tend to conserve much needed water when flushing knowing the work involved in portable tank use. Plus, tank rinsing usually is insufficient for the same reason.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:01 AM   #10
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Louise View Post
Hello! I need some help. I dumped my black tank 3 days ago. My toilet is backing up, I use plenty of water when flushing. Inside panel reads 2 black tanks, however I only see 1 lever to dump the black tank. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I don't think you have 2 black tanks. I finally experienced a backup after 6 years of part-time use. I've never used RV-specific TP, and don't always use chemicals. The valve handle got very stiff,, and no amount of flushing with the installed "flush" feature cleared it. I got a Camco RV Flexible Swivel Stik from Walmart ($24) and used it for about 10 minutes and finally cleared it. I still don't think the TP or lack of chemicals caused the blockage. I did pull out three wipes that I think blocked the valve body, causing solids to build up. Now, to identify the wipe offender...
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #11
Jsrore
Established Member

M.O.C. #17968
i had this same problem several years ago in our 5th wheel , since we bought our property in Idaho we leave it there and dump the waste in a portable container to dump...we had a HORRIBLE backup that took me all day to fix and i learned my lesson...
yes you more then likely have the pyramid build up ...we took the 5th wheel to a RV park and used a wand and lots of water and burst the dam and it was huge...
the wand worked very well for me...since then i have learned ways not to build up the pyramid and so far so good. i use Rid EX, RV TP, and when i dump the last dump i do is a hard flush of 5 gallons of water dumped down the toilet to break anything up
good luck
Jsrore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:43 PM   #12
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Your Montana 3810MS trailer has one (1) 49-gallon black tank. What galon capacity is your portable tote? If it has relativley low capacity are you able to adequately flush the tank? Could consider a 36 gallon one. In my case, I pre-fill the black tank with 15 gallons of water through the black tank flush connection, measured with an in-line turbine meter, and when I dump I use plenty of flush water and fill and dump several times to ensure all the contents are flushed out.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #13
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Try flooding your black tank with grey water after your initial dump. I back flush with each of my grey tanks and then flush with hose. Lots comes out with back flush.
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #14
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
I use Unique Tank Cleaner once per year. It does a great job liquifying waste, and cleaning the holding tanks up. They have a Digest-it for use between tank flushes. They can be found on Amazon, and some RV supply places. My guess is that emptying into a holding tank your not getting a good flush and remnants are staying behind and possibly hardening/thickening up. You might try flushing once or twice really good after your initial dump. I know it would be double/triple work, but might solve and prevent this problem from happening again. Our camper was used when we bought it, so I used the tank cleaner for good measure and couldn’t believe how long it took to get clear liquid to drain after only a 3 day trip. There is no way that much waste and brown water was all from my wife and I! NRVTA recommends Unique. Here is a video they put out on YouTube that convinced me to start using it. https://youtu.be/GyWMyZ02_7M.
Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:40 PM   #15
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
If water is standing in the toilet, try using a plunger to free a clog. The toilets often enter the black tank at an angle, and a lot of paper can easily clog it up.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:38 PM   #16
gary&sherry&yorkies
Established Member

M.O.C. #26665
Roof vent

I have a question about black tanks on the 2021 3781RL. There is a black tank roof vent, is it possible it is obstructed just enough to not let proper drainage? I know it's a long shot but stranger things have happened. Also, I have had to raise the front of ours to get a compleat dump. Not sure if that normal or not.
gary&sherry&yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:32 AM   #17
Bkrv

M.O.C. #25866
We had this happen, even after using tons of water to flush. Most toilets drain into tank through and elbow pipe- almost 90 degrees. To fox ours we had a remote repair come in and he sed a bubble tool on the end of a hose to clear. Everyday snakes will not work on the issue.
We made a change and stopped flushing toilet paper. Saved water and reduced cloggs and paper into the black tank.
Bkrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #18
Jennifer Louise

M.O.C. #30104
Thank you everyone! I believe you all were correct in the poop pyramid.....I am flushing the tank and now getting it cleared. Thank you!!
Old 01-17-2022, 09:42 AM   #19
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I always use RV toilet paper and also use quite a bit of water to flush. I have never had a problem. Oh, I also backflush for about 2 minutes with valve closed, then drain, then backflush for 4-5 minutes and drain and if water is still slightly off color, I do it one more time and usually it is clear then.

I am always at FHU parks and drain every day we move on and also every 3-4 days when stationary. One time I stayed at Chicago Naval Station and they had no sewer and the dump station was about 200-300 yards away so you had to hook up and move rig. That time I managed to get about 5 or 6 days before dumping.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #20
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
RV toilet paper and RV chemicals are a huge money maker for the manufacturers. If you want to check your TP, tear off a piece or two and let it/them sit in a jar of water. If they dissolve or come apart, they'll work. As for chemicals, with plenty of water, breaking down of the solids is not necessary and why should we care about an odor from the tank? If there is an odor, the system is malfunctioning...just like it would be in the stick house. We've been RVing since the early 70s and the only thing we have ever used is Calgon Bath Beads, which will make the tank sides slippery to assist in draining.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote