Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2022, 12:00 PM   #1
EllsworthToohey
Established Member

M.O.C. #29777
Slide seals

Been a while since I've posted here but I have been plugging away at fixing new problems I did not even know existed. And I want to share a fantastic revelation I came across for Slide Seal replacements.

Most of my seals look in good shape but the top seal on the kitchen slide was missing about 4 inches on the forward end. I studied the various extrusion profiles available and their rather pricey co$ts; and then I found a company called RecPro.com and they had a very low cost/ft simple adhesive based seal in 3 and 4" widths. The real joy was being able to buy just 1ft of it to evaluate and free shipping! I used this test piece as a temp patch for the gap on the kitchen slide, and the ordered 15ft of the 3" for I think $3.99 / ft.

I was blown away by how fast and easy installation went. The old seal was not anchored by a screw as in most How To vids, but seemed rather to be fixed by a headless nail of some sort. I just pulled out the old seal along the track rather than slide it out. At the nail I just ripped it with little resistance and now was ready for the genius of this seal.

Instead of installing it into the slots used to capture the original style, this adhesive seal installs PERFECTLY under the lowest lip of the aluminum extrusion. I spent more time cleaning this flat surface than it took me to apply the new seal as I pulled the plastic adhesive cover strip. Literally 2 minutes tops to install and trim to length. The adhesive is very aggressive but can still be removed about as easily as the original seal. I LOVE these seals!

I found the top seal of the Living room side did not even come in contact with the slide roof in the middle of the slide so I ordered 15ft of the 4" width and this one was just as easy to install. I cannot recommend these seals enough!

I just wish tanks, floors, and water heater issues were this easy to fix! I can't get pics off my iPhone at the moment. Grrr.

EllsworthToohey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Looking forward to pics!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #3
EllsworthToohey
Established Member

M.O.C. #29777
Slide Seal Pics

A couple pics of the RecPro adhesive seals. 1st pic is after old standard seal was removed to show the full aluminum extrusion that the old seal slid into, and the 2nd is after adhesive seal is installed. Its not super obvious where the adhesive seal fixes to the extrusion, because of different angles from which the pics were taken. Shading plays tricks so take yer time.. use zoom in, etc.

The install is so perfectly clean with how perfectly the adhesive strip attach surface tucks under a ridge in the extrusion, its... well... PERFECT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2718.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	11003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2721.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	11004  
EllsworthToohey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:40 PM   #4
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
some people make it look easy
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:43 PM   #5
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Our slide seals are all tearing......
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:11 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Looks VERY good. Thanks for sharing.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:15 AM   #7
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
So the seal is actually held on by adhesive and not slide locked into a channel? Very nice installation!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote