Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2022, 12:14 AM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Batteries not charging

I am hoping to get some advice finding the fault with why my batteries are not charging while on shore power. My montana is a 2018 3791 RD. I am guessing it is a function of the converter to charge the batteries. The conveter must be located within the main breaker panel, Correct? Some help please. Carl maybe
Thanks ahead of time.

John

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:47 AM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Yes, the converter and breaker panel are a combined unit. If you pull the cover off the breaker panel you will see the converter. There should be one AC breaker that powers the converter. Make sure the converter has power. If it has power, check the DC output. You can do this right on the battery terminals. With the converter operation you should have about 14VDC. Let us know the results at this point.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:18 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
You probably already know this, but I'd check to ensure the battery disconnect switch is in the correct position. If you can remove the key from the switch your batteries will not charge from the converter.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:17 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
You probably have a Progressive Dynamics converter. Look for a white label with the model number on it when you open the cover to your circuit breaker panel.
For example mine is. PD4575K18LS8
Here is a link to PD troubleshooting manual website where you can download the guide for your model.
https://www.progressivedyn.com/suppo...hooting-guides.

I had issues with mine BUT after cycling through the Wizzard modes (push the button by the green light) it fixed itself.

While you are on PD website download the Wizzard mode instructions.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:37 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Are your batteries (I am assuming you have more than one) good? A 2018 model means your batteries are 4 years old unless you have already replaced them.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:10 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The 12V flow from the converter to the batteries is pretty straight forward. As others have pointed out, here are the places to look. All connections should have 13.5 +/- Volts if the converter is working.

• The converter is part of the power distribution panel -Ensure the CB for it is On
  • There are Reverse Polarity Fuses on the converter which protect against connecting a battery backwards. - Ensure they are not blown.
  • Check the output voltage at the converter. - it should be in the 13.5V DC range.
  • The power then runs to the Disconnect Switch in the Convenience Center. - Ensure the Red Key is in the position where it can *NOT* be removed. If removed, this interrupts the power charging the battery. The Disconnect Switch is not know to fail, but you can remove it to check there is power in and out of it just to be sure.
  • The power next flows to the group of 50 amp self-resetting CBs behind the battery. We all know about the one that hiccups and interrupts the hydraulic system. That one also passes power to/from the converter and batteries. You want to check it and it's brother (it is in the current flow to the battery) to ensure there is 13>5V on *EACH* side of the CB.
  • The last connection is the one from the 50 amp CBs to the batteries. Ensure you have clean connections and the cables are not corroded (watch out for internal corrosion under the shrink wrap).
Somewhere along this path there will be the problem. A simple VOM should find it. I hope this helps.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #7
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Yes, the converter and breaker panel are a combined unit. If you pull the cover off the breaker panel you will see the converter. There should be one AC breaker that powers the converter. Make sure the converter has power. If it has power, check the DC output. You can do this right on the battery terminals. With the converter operation you should have about 14VDC. Let us know the results at this point.
I only have 12.7 vets output at converter.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Sounds like converter on fritz due to some issue OR a battery with a very weak or dead cell that drags down the converter output. This can be checked by powering off the breaker for the converter and pulling the negative lead of the battery, then measuring the positive battery cable going to the resettable breaker after powering on the converter breaker again. If a bad battery, you should see the voltage rise from your 12.7vdc up to 13.4 or higher. Usually the battery will feel warmer than normal when they develop cell issues. John
Old 01-16-2022, 12:22 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
I only have 12.7 vets output at converter.
Remove shore power.
Disconnect the negative battery post.
measure the output of the converter. Should be 0vdc.

Connect shore power and check converter output again. Should be 13.3 to 13.9.

Remove shore power and reconnect battery.
Apply shore power. Check converter output.
Should be close to that same as above.
It could be LESS depending on the state of charge of the battery. If the battery is low, it can drag down the converter voltage.

Attached is PD converter Troubleshooting for a PD 4500 series converter. You can download the one for your model from their website but the principle should be the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PD Converter Troubleshooting.pdf (570.5 KB, 179 views)
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote