Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #21
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbaby View Post
I had the same issue with my baggage door hinge on my 2021 Montana HC I was told to contact my dealer as they would have the part number. Unfortunately Keystone doesn’t sell just the hinge they rather sell you the whole door complete with frame as they tried to do with me at a cost of approximately $1000 US which includes packaging and shipping. I fixe the hinge the best I could as the door flips up and attaches to the magnets on the coach. I just added two gas strut’s and it supports the door and I’m fine with that.
Yep, well aware of the 'contact dealer' nonsense, but after a few attempts I did get the name of my door's manufacturer. Unfortunately I can probably only order the entire door. My hinge is so damaged that the only cure left is to remove it and replace with SS piano hinge. It was hard to find the right size (depth) but after a few attempts did locate one on Amazon. I will cut off the old hinge and grind it flush then rivet on the new piano hinge. Either it works or I am only out the cost of the hinges and will pay the big bucks for a new door. I also have gas struts on order as well.

3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #22
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
BCRVMan - did you contact Trekwood? I believe they are an offshoot of Tiara RV in Elkhart. It might be worth calling them or some of the surplus RV stores in Elkhart area. Just a thought. Or, call our dealer - Leach Camper in Council Bluffs, Iowa. They are great for service. We bought our last two Montana’s there. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:33 PM   #23
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
BCRVMan - did you contact Trekwood? I believe they are an offshoot of Tiara RV in Elkhart. It might be worth calling them or some of the surplus RV stores in Elkhart area. Just a thought. Or, call our dealer - Leach Camper in Council Bluffs, Iowa. They are great for service. We bought our last two Montana’s there. Good luck.
I have sent emails to Trekwood at least 3 times in the last few days and no response.
I am Canadian and do not have US phone coverage so all contacts have to be by email.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #24
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
What was the door manf name?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:22 PM   #25
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
What was the door manf name?
Kinro but it looks identical to Lippert too.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #26
DaveNTx

M.O.C. #31311
Looking for hinge information

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Where can I get the part number for just the hinge of a baggage door. These are the waterproof hinges that from the end look like a C inside a C.
I need a web based approach as my phone only works in Canada.
The hinge is 46 3/8 long. It goes on the door side baggage door of a 2018 3811MS. Picture of the door half of the hinge attached. The other end is the bad part, this is what they look like when not damaged.

Hello BCRVman - I am having the same problem in trying to find any information about the hinge of the outside kitchen hatch on our travel trailer. The photo you posted looks the same as the end of the insert part of my hinge - see my attached images :

So - were you ever able to determine the manufacturer of this type of hinge? What is the correct name for this thing ? I read "hurricane" hinge, "belt rail" hinge, "piano" hinge, and other, less specific names.

Mine is installed on our 2013 Palomino Puma travel trailer - the pivot part is 66" long and the rail part is 67 3/4" long. The rivets that attached the door to the pivot section all popped and the door came off the trailer. The hinge parts appear to be OK so I re-riveted the pivot part back on to the door edge.

Now, I have to figure out a way to reinstall the door - it must weight a hundred pounds and is ~ 6 1/2 ft long and 4 ft wide. I'm thinking I'll beg a couple of young guys from the RV park to help - load them and the door in the back of my pickup and move the truck alongside the trailer at the compartment opening.

Did you get your hinge fixed/replaced? Were you able to just replace the hinge or did you have to buy the whole door, frame, and hinge assembly?

Thanks for any info.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40CropCaptioned.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	12457   Click image for larger version

Name:	28CropCaptioned.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	12458  
DaveNTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #27
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNTx View Post
Hello BCRVman - I am having the same problem in trying to find any information about the hinge of the outside kitchen hatch on our travel trailer. The photo you posted looks the same as the end of the insert part of my hinge - see my attached images :

So - were you ever able to determine the manufacturer of this type of hinge? What is the correct name for this thing ? I read "hurricane" hinge, "belt rail" hinge, "piano" hinge, and other, less specific names.

Mine is installed on our 2013 Palomino Puma travel trailer - the pivot part is 66" long and the rail part is 67 3/4" long. The rivets that attached the door to the pivot section all popped and the door came off the trailer. The hinge parts appear to be OK so I re-riveted the pivot part back on to the door edge.

Now, I have to figure out a way to reinstall the door - it must weight a hundred pounds and is ~ 6 1/2 ft long and 4 ft wide. I'm thinking I'll beg a couple of young guys from the RV park to help - load them and the door in the back of my pickup and move the truck alongside the trailer at the compartment opening.

Did you get your hinge fixed/replaced? Were you able to just replace the hinge or did you have to buy the whole door, frame, and hinge assembly?

Thanks for any info.

Dave
I ended up replacing the whole door (that includes the frame) I never found a source for the hinge, then I tried a regular piano hinge but messed up the install. I doubt it would have been waterproof, and maybe not strong enough, but do know it would have been butt ugly. If you decide to get the whole door goto www.trekwood.com and do the obvious. The measurements for mine did NOT match the descriptions and dealers go by the measurements. Common sense will tell you the manufacturers do NOT use similar sized doors, they use one for small, one for med, one for lg so fill in the trekwood search boxes and use your mark 1 eyeball plus measure from the frame, that will be about a 1/4" out. If there are two doors within a 1/4" I got nada, but I bet there is only one for that year/make/model. Depending on how handy you are you may want the dealer to install, I did my own and it's a good enough job, a little more tricky than I thought, HINT don't drive screws too far, just flush with the frame. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:03 PM   #28
DaveNTx

M.O.C. #31311
BCRVman - these things aren't very easy to find. I've seen a few other posts on other forums where people have posted photos of the same or very similar hinges and they're trying to find the manufacturer or part number too.

I'm still looking.

Thanx for your reply.

DaveNTx
DaveNTx is offline   Reply With Quote