Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2023, 01:40 PM   #1
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
Xantrex Freedom X 1200 inverter.???????

I am thinking about buying a used 5th wheel that comes with a factory installed Xantrex Freedom X 1200 inverter. From what I understand this inverter has a built-in automatic transfer switch.

1. Am I correct?

2. None of the outlets are labeled “inverter”. Does this mean all the 110 volt A/C outlets are connected to the inverter?

3. If I want to have more AC wattage, can I add another inverter in parallel with the existing inverter? Or should I scrap the existing inverter and purchase one with the larger wattage?

I know the amp hour of the batteries is something I will have to consider.

TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 02:43 PM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenOC View Post
I am thinking about buying a used 5th wheel that comes with a factory installed Xantrex Freedom X 1200 inverter. From what I understand this inverter has a built-in automatic transfer switch.

1. Am I correct?

2. None of the outlets are labeled “inverter”. Does this mean all the 110 volt A/C outlets are connected to the inverter?

3. If I want to have more AC wattage, can I add another inverter in parallel with the existing inverter? Or should I scrap the existing inverter and purchase one with the larger wattage?

I don't have one, but web search confirms a built in transfer switch.
https://www.donrowe.com/xantrex-806-...p/806-1212.htm

Depending on how it is installed, having a built in transfer switch should mean all AC loads in the trailer are powered. They will be powered by shore power when hooked up or by the inverter when not hooked up. That's what a transfer switch does. Members with a residential refrigerator and the factory inverter can verify this. However, keep in mind, with 1200W you are not going to power much; forget about the microwave, AC units, etc. Does the unit have a residential refrigerator? If so, that is probably what this inverter is for; and about all it will handle.

If you want more power, I would replace it with a larger unit (1200W is not much). It might be technically possible to parallel them but it would be very difficult; I wouldn't do it. You would not be saving much by trying to keep the original unit. Replacing it with a larger, single unit would be easy.

Best of luck
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 03:49 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenOC View Post

1. Am I correct?

It would be helpful if you listed your year and model.
The inverters have a built in TS as scottz stated. I doubt the factory would spec a 1200 watt inverter for the whole house. 3K or 4K watts maybe.
A 1200 wouldn't have been installed for just the residential fridge so it must be connected to other outlets. See the attachment. The previous owner could have removed the yellow stickers. As far as upgrading for more wattage, no you can't wire in parallel. You could replace the 1200 with a larger inverter. But now you have to do some math. What exactly are you looking to run on inverted 12 volts. The inverted 120 volts are only as good as the battery bank. If you're looking to run an AC then you'll need a fat amount of amp hours. You would have to upgrade to 400+ AH of lithium. I have 200 AH of lithium. With inverter on and everything off, just the parasitic load of 10 to 12 amps draws my batteries down to 60% in 8 or 9 hours. It would take 2 + hours to recharge. With solar my will reach 100% in 4 or 5 hours of sun. Otherwise I'm running the gen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Flex 400 Wiring.png
Views:	41
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	15976  
Old 11-20-2023, 03:59 PM   #4
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
I doubt the factory would spec a 1200 watt inverter for the whole house. 3K or 4K watts maybe.
A 1200 wouldn't have been installed for just the residential fridge so it must be connected to other outlets. .

How do I tell if there is a special 110 v circuit for other outlets?
TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Easy, disconnect shore power and start checking outlets to see where you find power.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:16 PM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
  1. Living room TV
  2. Bedroom TV
  3. Kitchen island or countertop
  4. Recliners
  5. basement TV
  6. Refrigerator
  7. ? Haven't found it.