Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Wheel lube?

We have a 2014 3625re We bought it used last spring. I can't figure out how to lube the wheels. Attached is a picture of the wheel. It looks like there is se kind of bearing buddy thing there but i dont dare just start prying on the rubber until I know gor sure.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_173433.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	2538  

tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
Waricha
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20684
Pry off the rubber cap and there is a zerk fitting there to quick lube the bearings. Don't be surprised if it takes almost a tube of grease per wheel. They never put enough grease in them at the factory. So, if the previous owner never serviced the bearings, they most certainly will need more lube. I lift the wheel of the ground and spin it as I lube the bearings. The old grease will work its way out toward you as you spin it.
Waricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The best thing to is take the wheel and the drum off and service the bearings. They need to be cleaned inspected and repacked. If you aren’t careful you will get grease on the brakes and ruin them with that grease fitting. A pound of grease will more than do all 4 wheels.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Thanks i thought thst was what was thete but i was afraid to pry it off without knowing. As I get older I get smarter and check before I act. I find that I dont break as much stiff that way.
tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Those are Dexter EZ Lube axles and are a controversial subject to say the least. Some say never use those zerks or you will have grease soaked brakes. Others say when done properly they work exactly as deigned. Educate yourself about them until you fully understand how they work and then decide for yourself. Key is pumping grease slowly while continuously turning the wheel.

BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Those are Dexter EZ Lube axles and are a controversial subject to say the least. Some say never use those zerks or you will have grease soaked brakes. Others say when done properly they work exactly as deigned. Educate yourself about them until you fully understand how they work and then decide for yourself. Key is pumping grease slowly while continuously turning the wheel.

I fully agree.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomJerram View Post
We have a 2014 3625re We bought it used last spring. I can't figure out how to lube the wheels. Attached is a picture of the wheel. It looks like there is se kind of bearing buddy thing there but i dont dare just start prying on the rubber until I know gor sure.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Even if you decide to use the lube system in the future, it would be worthwhile to visually inspect your bearings and brakes at least once since you bought it used. I personally am in the pack by hand camp.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I also pack by hand.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I used the grease fittings ONCE, exactly as described in the Dexter manual and in warm weather. Six thousand miles later, pulled the drums to check the brakes and had three of the four saturated with grease. Over $500 later, and my labor doesn't count, I had four new backing plate brake assemblies installed, turned all four drums, and had everything back together. I grease the bearings by hand and never use the grease fittings, and never get grease on the brakes. The bearings only need grease on the bearings and all the grease that would end up inside the hub, between the bearings is just a waste if the grease fittings are used. Four new seals and a pound of grease, some rags and solvent cost less than $40, and all four wheels take less than a few hours.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Since this is a used 2014 and you have no idea what the brakes or bearings and races look like you really need to remove the wheels and drums.. I thin’ the EZ lube system is the worst idea ever.. it circumvents putt8ng eyes on those bearings and races and brakes and attach hardware..

If you are unable to do the work yourself find an RV shop or perhaps trailer shop you can talk with, get an estimate, and let them do the job right..

You don’t want to be along the side of a road with a seized bearing or brake issue..

My 2014 brakes and bearings are done by myself every year.. Still running orig8nal races and bearings and brake shoes because it’s maintained properly.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
mngn

M.O.C. #18504
Dexters

If their true Dexters follow the manufacturers directions. I’ve never had a problem just pump in grease and clean old grease off until clean grease comes out while rotating the wheel.
mngn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:14 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I have had 3 RVs with easy lube. In the last 12 years I have NEVER removed a hub to re-grease. I jack the wheel up and pump in 30-40 pumps or grease while spinning the wheel. First 2 unit had drum brakes. Current one has disc brakes. With the discs, you can see the back side of the hub/grease seal. Think back to the days when you had to repack your cars front bearings. They were not done every year (at least not mine), maybe every 30-40k miles or so.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #13
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
None of the RV's I've had have had "Buddy Packers". What you people are recommending with this tube per wheel and 30 strokes are instructions for them. When I greased my Montana more than a few strokes, I had to buy new brakes and seal. A few strokes once a year while jacked up and spinning the wheel is all mine will stand????
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Did I mention controversial?
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #15
Graham
Established Member

M.O.C. #10287
I have the EZ lube on my 2010 3465 SE and they have worked just fine. I agree with one of the earlier comments. When I first filled them I had to put a full tube of grease in each wheel. I really wonder why they only put a small amount in from the factory??? Since then I've been topping them up and they have been great. As a precaution, I also use a remote heat sensor when I travel long distances to make sure none of the wheel hubs are heating up.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Sorry EZ Lube testimonial people, but if I had a dollar for ever greased up brake drum caused in some way by the EZ Lube invention that I, my son, or another RV tech I know has witnessed … I could have bought and paid for a complete complementary disk brake conversion for some lucky RVer. You've already got it jacked up and will be sitting there for several minutes SLOWLY pumping and spinning the tire … pushing the used grease out of the inner bearing right into the outer bearing hoping you didn't pop the wheel seal … awwww what the heck … do what you think best.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:15 PM   #17
Graham
Established Member

M.O.C. #10287
Has Dexter suggested their flo thru lube system is faulty? I think you may have identified the reason failures have occurred, by forcing the grease in too fast and hard breaking the seals.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #18
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If you don’t have the skill set to remove the wheel and hub and clean and repack yourself please take it to someone that does..

Just pumping in some more grease is doing nothing but giving you a feel good..you still have no idea what the brakes and hardware look like. And no idea what the overall condition of the spindle, races, bearings like ok like..
Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #19
Graham
Established Member

M.O.C. #10287
Sorry ChuckS but I tend to believe the engineers that have designed the system. Done properly it works fine and technology does change the way we do things today.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:39 AM   #20
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
We shall agree to disagree ... well aware of technology changes.. and I do support and like some of them...

Dexter has a nice idea BUT...

.. if you don’t jack up the axle and rotate the tire while slowly pumping grease you aren’t f9llowing the “engineers directions”

.. if it’s cold out and the grease in that grease gun is cold along with what’s in the bearing hub the viscosity has increased.. this takes more pressure to displace the old and allow new to flow thru

.. weak link in the design is rear inner bearing seal

Just pumping a few strokes.. or many strokes.. is not smart.. you can’t possibly have any idea what the condition of bearings and seals are, let alone the brakes

To each his own. I do it the old school way and tow with the peace of mind of “knowing what I got”

The reason there isn’t any grease in the cavity of the hub in a newly assembled Dexter EZ lube system is the bearings were packed by hand during assemble

The lack of a full hub cavity is clear evidence the bearings were not serviced using the zerk during assembly.

And I doubt the folks at a Keystone do anything to the bearings either

And Incarry 1 spare set of races, bearings, seals with me should there be a castatrophic failure on the road..

I will not put myself at the mercy of an RV road side service comapany

Cheers

Tags
lune, wheels