Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2023, 11:12 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Need your Eyes, anything I don't see

The original mattress in our 2015 3440rl measures 72"W x 80" L x 8" H.

Looking to replace it with the same W and L but 10" high. I have the space from the plywood base to the bottom of the wood trim on both sides of the bed. It should fit, do you see any slide closure problems that I may be missing. Right now when the bedroom slide closes, the OEM mattress is pushed up against the chest of drawers.

Thanks for your help.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
As long as the length and width of the mattress is the same as the original, and if you have clearance for the extra thickness, the new mattress should work perfectly fine.

The question is, how much does the original push up against the chest of drawers? If it is really squished up, the thicker (and possibly more stout) mattress may not bunch up as much. That could cause extra stress on the slide mechanisms.

Another thing you REALLY need to consider. A thicker mattress will weigh more. When you access the storage under the bed, it might be too heavy for one person to lift. AND, if the new mattress is too stout, it may not bend very easy when the storage is accessed either.

We went from a 3 inch mattress that came original with our Montana to a 12 inch one. The new one IS heavy. It takes both of us whenever we access the storage under the bed now. But the thick mattress is magnificent to sleep on!

So, it goes to say, those items stored under the bed are those items we want to have with us in the camper (for a "just in case" event). But not things we use all the time. Mostly, extra blankets, extra extension cords, extra parts for our computers, blow up mattress, a tent, and other types of odds and ends we want with us, but plan we never have to use them.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 06:42 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
You can upgrade the struts that hold the mattress up so the heavier mattress will still be held open. I replaced mine, but it was pretty difficult to force the strut back closed so it would snap in place!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:39 PM   #4
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
One thing I found out the hard way when we added a heavy mattress topper is that the underbed box is cantilevered when the slide is retracted. With the topper and the box loaded, the box frame came loose from the slide wall after awhile. Not saying you’ll need to do this but I added the same rollers used on the floor to the bottom, end of the bed box to eliminate the cantilever. Picture shows the rollers and box when the slide is extended.

Edit: BC’s comment below in post 6 about the mattress thickness and the shelf reminded me that we had to raise the side shelves to accommodate the topper to still easily tuck the bed cover. The shelves are held up with L brackets so just redrilled them to reuse the higher screw hole in the wall. BC, great idea to be able lock the bed in the lifted position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9C957CB3-495A-4D19-8F53-F1A6ED6E9277.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	14117  
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:19 PM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We added a memory foam topper to our mattress, and it was about 2” thick. We love it. You might consider going that route.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:06 PM   #6
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I absolutely love my OEM mattress......said no RV owner ever!

I have already lived your dilemma. If you check, you'll find that a standard California king size mattress is 72" by 84". My rig is apparently set up like yours in that the bed is on a slide and when retracted pushes up against a built in dresser. I rebuilt the bed platform and supported it better, replaced the 1/2" plywood with 3/4" material and made the platform about 83" long to support the additional length.

We bought a memory foam mattress from same manufacturer as the one we use at home and had it delivered to the camper. To compensate for the additional length, I installed some heavier struts and bought some locks so I can lock the platform in the lifted position. This will allow for vertical clearance from the dresser when the slide is retracted.

Being able to use a standard size mattress allows you to choose from many different manufacturers, not just the few that make specialized RV ones.

The mattress thickness will depend on how much vertical distance you have between the platform and closest obstruction. My rig has a mostly useless wrap around shelf near the headboard and I could only fit an 11" deep model.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote