Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2003, 03:23 PM   #1
Montana_251
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #251
adjustable Bed for slideout area?

Hi My wife and I just purchased a new Tempur-Pedic Adjustable bed. When we start fulltiming, we would like to put it in our montana. Hopefully remove the existing bed platform and frame and set up the new one in its place. There is a height difference between the headboard slide out area and the main bedroom floor, but if I use shorter legs on the headboard end of the frame to compensate for the difference it might work. Anybody try such an arrangement? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Larry

Montana_251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:42 PM   #2
Mlmccolm

M.O.C. #29723
Adjustable bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana_251 View Post
Hi My wife and I just purchased a new Tempur-Pedic Adjustable bed. When we start fulltiming, we would like to put it in our montana. Hopefully remove the existing bed platform and frame and set up the new one in its place. There is a height difference between the headboard slide out area and the main bedroom floor, but if I use shorter legs on the headboard end of the frame to compensate for the difference it might work. Anybody try such an arrangement? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Larry
I seen you were thinking of adding the adjustable bed I am too I was wondering if it worked for you
Thank you
Minda
Mlmccolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:22 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Minda - you happened to pick a very old post. Montana_251 said "goodbye" in 2004. Maybe someone else here will have an opinion on your question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-03-16_16-20-12.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	14194  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:41 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My Mom has an adjustable bed in her home. It is darned heavy. You might take that to thought while you realize it will be dragging across the floor every time you move the slide in or out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:58 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If I were to do something like this in my Montana, I'd remove the box frame for the bed and leave the base. The base on mine has the rollers on it. The base is just a sheet of plywood (or particle board) attached to the part of the slide that moves. Then simply set the new bed frame directly on the (already) flat base and slide out. When moving the slide, the bed itself is not moving. It's the base under it that's moving.

Of course, your design might be different. But if it is different, that's the approach I'd take. I'd build a solid base first, add the rollers to the part that slides across the floor and then put the bed frame on top of that.

It's work, but the end result will give you want you want ... provided your slide will handle the weight.

Edit:

If you do this, make sure the length of the new bed is not longer than your RV bed. RV bed mattresses are often times a few inches shorter than the ones used in homes. If the mattress and frame are too long, and you retract the slide, just make sure the end of the bed is not hitting anything, or worse, too long and won't close.

So, measure, measure, measure! .... so there are no unwanted surprises.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:07 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If your bedroom slide is hydraulic, the base is hollow allowing for the hydraulic cylinder. It isn't just a flat piece of plywood rolling back and forth across the carpet.

In my first reply I didn't mean the bed legs themselves would be dragging ... just whatever base or support will be contacting the carpet with the bed sitting on it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 01:42 PM   #7
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
I considered this in our 3761FL, but the bed frames of even the RV type adjustable bed frames were too high and reduced the headroom on the bed by about 8" if set on top of the existing platform. There is no way to integrate a house type frame as the slide was too high off the floor. So we installed an RV Sleep Number bed on it and called it a day. My wife was disappointed we couldn't take out I10 sleep number with adjustable base with us on the road but I just couldn't get it to fit, and the weight would have been prohibitive at 300+ lbs.