Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2023, 09:51 PM   #1
4Mia
Established Member

M.O.C. #32568
MORryde - SP56-469 - Safe-T-Rail

Hi - New to the Montana forum. We just upgraded from a tow-trailer 2018 Salem Forest River to a 2023 Montana 3931FB Fifth Wheel.

A different model Montana had this telescoping handrail on it and we were told Montana has it as “patent pending” by the sales guy. They were going to install one on our fifth wheel but said it doesn’t fit. They said they would either have to remove our awning or make the door smaller (ummm, a dealer simply can’t do that). We went through the qualifier on this handrail and measured it ourselves and have over 3” between the awning and the door frame, I believe we only need 2.25” clearance for a successful install.

I would love to hear from Montana owners if they have successfully installed this on their unit and what year/model it fit. We would love to get my Mom out of the house after Dad has passed and travel with us and this would make her feel more comfortable getting up the four steps. I’m trying to make it handicap friendly for her as well, so any advice there would be appreciated as well.

Thanks, in advance, for any replies.
Mia

4Mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:13 AM   #2
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
Contact MoRyde directly and ask them. In my experience, they have a very good customer service line. If there is anyone who should be able to provide application / installation information, it would be the manufacturer
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:42 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Good advice above.
Also, if the one that installs outside doesn't fit, they make one that attaches to the steps as well. Either way, MoRyde should be able to help you.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:59 AM   #4
Zinnman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15824
We added it at the National Rally. Awesome and I’d for future reference question anything you dealer tells you.
Zinnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:45 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Forum members “Todd & Mary” recently posted about installing the rail on their unit. I have no idea how to do a link to the thread on this iPad…but here is a screen shot of the post. Maybe Todd & Mary will see this and offer advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6A29868-03BE-4CBE-9E44-A4FAC19613B4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	14334  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #6
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
Camping world sells an oversized hand rail that is a direct replacement for the factory one. They call it “ extended lend- a - hand rail “. We put it on ours the day we brought our new 2021 3761 fl home. It’s a very easy ( 2 screws ) up grade,and we both love it. It’s easy to find on the camping world website, and I’m sure others have it too.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:11 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Forum members “Todd & Mary” recently posted about installing the rail on their unit. I have no idea how to do a link to the thread on this iPad…but here is a screen shot of the post. Maybe Todd & Mary will see this and offer advice.
The Post by Todd & Mary can be found at https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=88888

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:17 PM   #8
4Mia
Established Member

M.O.C. #32568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Thank you, seeing their post gave me some hope that the telescoping handrail may work with our camper, I wasn’t sure what their model was, but I think it’s in your reply. We are still going to call the manufacturer as well (thanks @rotnJohnny for that suggestion).
Old 04-09-2023, 09:21 PM   #9
4Mia
Established Member

M.O.C. #32568
Hi Trevor,

I’ve seen that one as well and would be my alternative if our model doesn’t support the telescoping handrail.

Thanks for your feedback on that one.

Mia
Old 04-09-2023, 09:29 PM   #10
4Mia
Established Member

M.O.C. #32568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnman View Post
We added it at the National Rally. Awesome and I’d for future reference question anything you dealer tells you.
Duly noted!! ☺️. Originally they did our paperwork for the completely wrong model. Glad I caught that one!! 😂

I need to read up on the Rally, I’ve seen a few posts….
Old 04-10-2023, 04:29 AM   #11
ScottnSue
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31539
I just installed the rail on our camper last week. We had plenty space. However I watch a guy out of Georgia on youtube. He put one on his Montana and it was a tight squeeze. He could just fit the rail between his door and awning support.
Take a look https://youtu.be/WIDRO6wTI0k
Old 04-10-2023, 06:31 AM   #12
4Mia
Established Member

M.O.C. #32568
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottnSue View Post
I just installed the rail on our camper last week. We had plenty space. However I watch a guy out of Georgia on youtube. He put one on his Montana and it was a tight squeeze. He could just fit the rail between his door and awning support.
Take a look https://youtu.be/WIDRO6wTI0k
Thank you so much for the link, that was a pretty tight fit. 😮. I posted a question to him to ask if there were any issues with the awning rubbing or not working. Will see what he says.

Based on his dimensions he was working with, we should have good clearance with the 3” we are working with.

Thanks again!!

Mia
Old 04-11-2023, 02:42 PM   #13
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The Post by Todd & Mary can be found at https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=88888
There are different models available, we got ours at the Quartzsite show. I installed it myself. Predrill a few holes and sealant. It fits perfectly. Lots better than the old grab handle, you can get ahold of it at the bottom of the stairs. Makes the stairs safer to go up and down. And the best part is I sold the old grab bar for $25! Best upgrade we have done!