Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2023, 12:21 PM   #1
ScottnSue
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31539
puzzling refrigerator behavior

Howdy All,

Our refrigerator is having an odd issue that I can't seem to figure out.

When plugged in at home it works fine. Have to keep on the highest setting to stay below 40 degrees but it works. When I unplug it to head to the campground it will switch to gas. I can hear the flame, it's a nice blue flame so all is good. Now when we get in the campsite and plug it back in the gas flame with shut down but the electric will not kick on. The light on the fridge does not blink so I don't see an error code. The strange part is, if I shut the fridge off and then back on with the switch on the control panel it will start working again.
I suspect this may mean the control board is going bad. But was hoping you all could help.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:37 AM   #2
ScottnSue
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31539
On our trip over the weekend the fridge worked fine for two days. Then on the third day day it quit again. I turned it off, then back on and it started working again. I ordered a new control board last night. Supposed to be here Tuesday. Hopefully that fixes our issues.
I also pulled the vent cover and screen off the top of the camper to be sure nothing was blocking it. There wasn't anything but I did go ahead and clean things up and sealed up the gaps in the tape that's supposed to direct the warm air up thru the vent.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:49 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
The Norcold 2118 RV fridge was one of several things I discovered was broke this year after De-winterizing. The error code was AC re.
We looked it up. "AC relay stuck closed".
This means the fridge was on all the time in AC mode even when turned off.
I replaced the control board. So far so good.
FYI last year I added a digital temperature controller to the exterior factory fan circuit after I discovered the fan control thermostat wasn't working. I also added an internal fan parallel to the fan blowing on the fins in the fridge compartment.
All this helps to lower the internal temperature.
I'm thinking about added a couple more fans to the exterior and another to the freezer compartment.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 03:19 PM   #4
tjblocker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23122
I have a 2022 3231CK fiver with a Norcold 2118 that I purchased new.

My fridge temps were always high. If it was 100 degrees outside then with fridge set on 10 the freezer temps would bottom around 20 and fridge temps bottom at 45-50 degrees. I studied this online and found many complaints about this fridge. Many complain about the 2118 not holding good temps.

So, I purchased a 12 volt cooling unit from JC Refrigeration (Amish). This cooling unit is vapor compression style (residential) having two 12 volt compressors. One compressor is for fridge and one for freezer. Thus, I can set temps on fridge and freezer separately. Today my freezer temps are always below zero and fridge temps are always 32 to 35 degrees. I have 1kw solar on roof that provides all 12 volt power including the fridge. I have 600ah lithium battery bank. There is no gas absorption unit (propane) on the fridge now. Solar provides 100% power for all 12 volt including fridge even when in an RV park. We keep the converter turned off.

Oh yea, we are fulltimers so we need our fridge year round. This upgrade is pricey but worth every penny.

cheers
Tom
B&W puck system hitch
tjblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:51 PM   #5
ScottnSue
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31539
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjblocker View Post
I have a 2022 3231CK fiver with a Norcold 2118 that I purchased new.

My fridge temps were always high. If it was 100 degrees outside then with fridge set on 10 the freezer temps would bottom around 20 and fridge temps bottom at 45-50 degrees. I studied this online and found many complaints about this fridge. Many complain about the 2118 not holding good temps.

So, I purchased a 12 volt cooling unit from JC Refrigeration (Amish). This cooling unit is vapor compression style (residential) having two 12 volt compressors. One compressor is for fridge and one for freezer. Thus, I can set temps on fridge and freezer separately. Today my freezer temps are always below zero and fridge temps are always 32 to 35 degrees. I have 1kw solar on roof that provides all 12 volt power including the fridge. I have 600ah lithium battery bank. There is no gas absorption unit (propane) on the fridge now. Solar provides 100% power for all 12 volt including fridge even when in an RV park. We keep the converter turned off.

Oh yea, we are fulltimers so we need our fridge year round. This upgrade is pricey but worth every penny.

cheers
Tom
Thanks for sharing your solution. That would be an option if I find out I need a new fridge.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:52 PM   #6
ScottnSue
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31539
Received the new control board today. I installed it on my lunch break. Now we'll test the fridge for a few days to see if it stays on and cold.
fingers crossed.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:40 PM   #7
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Late last season my 2019 MHC rv-type fridge would only run on gas even when shore power was connected. I tried everything, pulled all the fuses and looked at them, finally figured out maybe the control board was bad. Took it in to the dealer and the mechanic ohmed out all the fuses and sure enough, one of them that looked good had failed somehow. Cost me something like $85 labor for what I had already done on my first trouble-shooting step! From now on, my first effort will be to replace all the visible fuses.
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:44 AM   #8
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckandTeresa View Post
Late last season my 2019 MHC rv-type fridge would only run on gas even when shore power was connected. I tried everything, pulled all the fuses and looked at them, finally figured out maybe the control board was bad. Took it in to the dealer and the mechanic ohmed out all the fuses and sure enough, one of them that looked good had failed somehow. Cost me something like $85 labor for what I had already done on my first trouble-shooting step! From now on, my first effort will be to replace all the visible fuses.
Volt ohm meters are our best tool in out kits. We've all been bit in the butt on occasion from "assuming ". Sorry about the frustration and expensive lesson. Glad tou got your fridge back up and ginning again on AC.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:13 PM   #9
ScottnSue
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottnSue View Post
Received the new control board today. I installed it on my lunch break. Now we'll test the fridge for a few days to see if it stays on and cold.
fingers crossed.
The fridge has been running well for six days now. I unplugged it to let the propane would like and keep it cool for a few hours. Then plugged it back and it switched back to electric okay. So far so good.
We have a trip week with a short one drive so if all goes well I think we call this one complete.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:13 PM   #10
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Thanks for letting the group know of your outcome!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote