Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2023, 01:49 PM   #1
mike18708

M.O.C. #24513
Samsung residential fridge power source

We have a 2019 Montana 3791RD Anniversary Edition. Does anyone know where the Samsung residential refrigerator draws its power from? I always thought it was from the 1000-watt inverter on the ceiling of the front basement under the bedroom...but it's not. I unplugged the wire coming out of that inverter but the fridge was still on. I also turned off every A/C breaker in the power distribution box, including the two 30 amp breakers, and the refrigerator is still powered on. Is there another inverter somewhere that I'm missing, and, if so, what does the 1000-watt unit supply? TIA for any help.

2003 Dodge 3500 Dually Diesel
mike18708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 03:19 PM   #2
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I have a model 2 years older than yours and that's the location for mine.

I'll share a personal experience with my residential fridge. Early in my ownership, we went on a 5 hour trip, batteries fully charged. When I started to unhook, there wasn't enough battery power to operate the hydraulic pump. Luckily we were at our destination and just plugged in to shore power. I have since bypassed the inverter, and we now keep 2 or 3 milk jugs filled with water in the freezer. This ice will keep the fridge down to about 40-45 degrees (actual measurement) and the freezer has never been above 20 degrees. We limit our drive times to about 4-5 hours per day and this has served us well. The ice in the milk jugs will freeze hard even if it's just an overnight stay. I did not want get caught on the road with some kind of emergency that I might have to unhook.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:31 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Mike,

The power to run your reefer should either be from shore power or the inverter unless someone has modified your rig.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 06:33 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Could it be that there is a transfer switch which feeds power from either shore power or inverter. The wire you unplugged from the inverter goes to the transfer switch? If so, then removing the power from to the inverter to the switch has no effect if shore power is present. Are you hooked to shore power?

You wrote " I also turned off every A/C breaker in the power distribution box, including the two 30 amp breakers..". Can I assume that is a typo as there normally aren't 30 amp breakers in a Montana?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:30 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
If you trace the plug that goes to the inverter, you should see the transfer switch.

If you are throwing breakers while plugged into the inverter, you are playing whack-a-mole. because the inverter will supply power to the refrigerator.

Transfer switch will see the loss of power from you tripping a breaker and switch over to the inverter.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 06:59 AM   #6
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
The dedicated transfer switch is where the "action" is happening. There is a connector on the transfer switch marked "connect to load". disconnect this and your fridge will shut off. This connection is the output from the transfer switch that feeds the fridge, so no shore power or inverter power can pass through it, if it is disconnected. I'd prefer to disconnect the shore power connector and then turn the inverter OFF. Same result.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 01:03 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
If your inverter is on and shore power is disconnect your fridge runs on the inverter. Once you plug in shore power the transfer switch will switch to shore power.
Old 05-01-2023, 01:34 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Kind of confusing, including the answers given. I think everyone is trying to say the same thing.

Foldbak is correct and probably the simplest to understand.

On my Montana, there is a breaker that turns off the refrigerator. But when it's off, it also turns off other plugs on the same circuit.

But when not plugged into shore power, the refrigerator works, but none of the other outlets work on that same circuit. I know, this is weird.

So, what I do, if I truly want the refrigerator turned off, 100%, I unplug it from the wall.

If I want to run it on AC electricity from shore power, I turn the inverter off and often will turn the red kill switch that goes to the "inverter" off also.

There is still shore power transferring through the transfer switch. It's just, there is now no battery power, via the inverter, feeding into the transfer switch. Only shore power.

If I unplug from shore power (like when driving and towing), I'll flip back on the inverter kill switch and turn the inverter back on.

Now, the inverter electricity is feeding to the transfer switch and because I'm not plugged into shore power, I'm running off the battery.

When in winter storage, I keep my Montana plugged in all the time. I turn off the inverter, flip the inverter kill switch, and unplug the refrigerator. Otherwise, even with the compressor off setting, the light still stays on inside the refrigerator. The only way to completely, 100% turn of the refrigerator is to unplug it. It does not have a true turn off for everything.

Although I have the High Country Montana, ours are of the same vintage. Yours is probably set up the same way. Here's a screen shot of the inverter, transfer switch, battery, and converter set up:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 06:57 PM   #9
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Dutchman, the 2019s only had the 1000watt inverter connected solely to the fridge. beginning in 2021, they upgraded it to a 2000watt invert and added more outlets on it to increase the RV owner's flexibility while in use.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:24 PM   #10
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Dutchman, the 2019s only had the 1000watt inverter connected solely to the fridge. beginning in 2021, they upgraded it to a 2000watt invert and added more outlets on it to increase the RV owner's flexibility while in use.
Biggar, read my post above. #7. Dutch is also correct in using his trailer as an example. The design is the same with the exception of the additional outlets and the TS.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:51 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
As stated the transfer switch is where the power comes from, either battery or shore power. Mine is located on the basement ceiling directly next to the inverter. The cord plugged into the inverter goes to the transfer switch.
I also found that the left most 20 amp breaker in my panel turned off the fridge. I too have a 2019 3791RD Anniversary Edition but as I understand it, they are no two units wired exactly alike. If trying breakers, make sure your inverter is turned off as well or the batteries will take over supplying power for the fridge.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 01:43 PM   #12
rgcanoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #23249
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike18708 View Post
We have a 2019 Montana 3791RD Anniversary Edition. Does anyone know where the Samsung residential refrigerator draws its power from? I always thought it was from the 1000-watt inverter on the ceiling of the front basement under the bedroom...but it's not. I unplugged the wire coming out of that inverter but the fridge was still on. I also turned off every A/C breaker in the power distribution box, including the two 30 amp breakers, and the refrigerator is still powered on. Is there another inverter somewhere that I'm missing, and, if so, what does the 1000-watt unit supply? TIA for any help.
Your looking for the 110 V Power feed, it has it's own circuit breaker "for the 110."
You also need to disconnect the 12VDC control circuit which makes the control lights work.
rgcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 03:34 PM   #13
smkn454 Mike
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23725
It sounds like you didn't have 12v going from your truck to the Rv. Otherwise it will run indefinitely whike hooked to the truck 12v & atleast 1 good agm battery. Also in 2018-2019 & maybe beyond they used a auto transfer switch to power the fridge. If on shore pwr it will switch to that & if no shore power it switches to the inverter power. Mine works seamless since I figured out that my 12 truck supply had a blown fuse.
smkn454 Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:59 PM   #14
Scootsk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23929
Mine is on the bedroom circuit. The inverter is in the front storage ceiling. The main power cut off for the inverter is in the compartment above the battery tray.
Scootsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 05:58 AM   #15
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
If needed, I am also able to turn off dedicated A/C breaker, confirm 12V kill switch is disconnected and my fridge will be completely off without having to unplug it.

As for traveling, then parking for a night in a rest area. I have sat for in excess of 12 hours while just on batteries and my residential fridge will maintain temp in fridge and freezer on batteries alone without depleting the 2 batteries beyond much less than 11.8 to 12.0...start up truck and continue to travel on. I have thermometers monitoring internal temps inside fridge and freezer. In reality the compressor doesn't run all the time. You need to be cognizant of wisely opening & closing the unit when running on batteries to assist in easy recovery.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:20 PM   #16
catch up with the zzzz
Established Member

M.O.C. #23268
easy answer on the invertor there is a gfi type button tripped or reset. just push that and refer will go off
catch up with the zzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:50 PM   #17
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
We have a 2017 3791RD. On mine the inverter in the basement ceiling does supply 120 volt power to the fridge when traveling down the road. There is a transfer switch that will switch power over to 120 volt shore voltage once it senses power from the incoming source. In order for me to shut off my fridge when I'm not using it I must first shut off the inverter in the basement. Then go inside and shut the breaker off to the kitchen. If you don't shut off the inverter first, once you shut the breaker off inside the main panel, the transfer switch below will immediately switch power over to the batteries. And your fridge stays on. So make sure the basement switch is OFF, then flip your breaker inside at the main panel to OFF as well. You would think they would tell you this when you bought it. But I was told to leave it on all the time. That makes no sense at all.
2016 Chevy DD 4x4
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:29 AM   #18
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy E View Post
We have a 2017 3791RD. On mine the inverter in the basement ceiling does supply 120 volt power to the fridge when traveling down the road. There is a transfer switch that will switch power over to 120 volt shore voltage once it senses power from the incoming source. In order for me to shut off my fridge when I'm not using it I must first shut off the inverter in the basement. Then go inside and shut the breaker off to the kitchen. If you don't shut off the inverter first, once you shut the breaker off inside the main panel, the transfer switch below will immediately switch power over to the batteries. And your fridge stays on. So make sure the basement switch is OFF, then flip your breaker inside at the main panel to OFF as well. You would think they would tell you this when you bought it. But I was told to leave it on all the time. That makes no sense at all.
I leave mine on all the time when travelling or on shore power, as if there is a power outage, the batteries will take over and keep the fridge running. Maybe that's why they said to leave it on all the time.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote