Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2023, 07:03 PM   #1
randerson1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11585
Motorized TV Lift Issue

All, it’s been 11 years since I’ve posted anything here, but we’re still going strong with our 2011 Montana 3580RL.
Pulled into an Army Corp of Engineers park this evening, got all setup and after dinner decide to watch some news…bad idea.
The motorized TV Lift brought the TV half way up and then it sounded like the motor was slipping and the TV started sliding back down. I hit the down button and released it which stopped the downward motion.
As long as I kept upwards pressure on the TV, the motor would lift it. As soon as I took that upward pressure off, it started to slip and the TV dropped. As soon as I hit the down button once, the TV will stop and hold at that point.
The DW assisted me in this process especially since my right arm is hurting right now.
I read a few things online about TV Lifts and know it could be something in the gears (object or power cord), it could be the motor, etc.
I know I can take the fire place out to access the motor, gears and track. I’m not able to tackle it right now, but wanted to know if anyone ran into the same thing and if they could share.
Thank you in advance!

randerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 05:41 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I can't help with the lift issue. Just curious, was watching the news a bad idea because of the lift issue or because of the news content?
Old 05-19-2023, 06:08 AM   #3
randerson1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
I can't help with the lift issue. Just curious, was watching the news a bad idea because of the lift issue or because of the news content?
LOL, both actually.
Without wanting to see the news we wouldn’t have found the issue. If it’s nice outside, we normally stay out there till bedtime with the Camp Fire in a Can burning.
The DW has volunteered to help me take the fire place out today so I can get a look in the cavity where the TV lowers down into and up from. I’m hoping to either see something which is an easy fix, but at the least get some part numbers for the motor and any other parts which look bad.
Unfortunately, no manual or pamphlets from Montana on the TV Lift mechanism.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Lots of threads on the TV lift. Use the search box for MOC. Might find something similar to your issue before tearing into it.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:10 AM   #5
randerson1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11585
Finally removed the fireplace to view the TV Lift assembly. It’s a Lippert LCI product and when I called Lippert about it, I’m told they no longer support it and don’t have the part numbers in stock.
The overall Lift assembly has the following decal information on it: LCI Model #236843
Each of the 2 tracks were clear of debris, no pinched or stripped wiring and there’s only 2 electrical components. A motor labeled: GMX 300-1406 and a Lippert TV Lift Receiver Part # 14485
I can find what looks to be the motor on Amazon, but not the Lif Receiver. We’re the original owners and never had a remote for the TV Lift. We’ve simply used the manual switch inside a storage door to the left of the fireplace.
I’ll try replacement neg the motor since it’s only $38 on Amazon, but have no leads for the other part.
Worst case would be to install a new TV Lift since I’m not comfortable with the TV riding in the up position during travel.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:17 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As an owner of a model with the TV lift, I am disappointed to hear LCI disavows support for it. Fortunately mine is still working. Hopefully it stays that way.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:44 PM   #7
randerson1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11585
We fixed our LCI TV Lift problem. Purchased a Step Motor GMX 300-1406 from Amazon and this solved the problem of the TV not wanting to raise from the cabinet. I never heard back from the Lippert support from when I posted the issue, nor did I I hear back from Tech Support when I called in with the issue. On the phone they were helpful, but promised to send installation specs for my outdated TV Lift model…not sure if they could find it.
The recommended replacement options were the Sleeve Nut first and then the Step Motor. I did it in reverse since the fault pointed towards the Step Motor IMHO. Regardless of what model TV Lift you may have, remove the TV so you can release the pressure on the Sleeve Nut which connects to the Step Motor. Looking at my model closely, I was able to get the bad Step Motor out and then reconnect everything with the good one installed. It was about a 40 minute job to include taking it apart, looking it over, changing the parts, reassembling and cleaning up. I did one extra step and that was to install a new switch for the manual raising/ lowering of the TV since we never had a remote.
I honestly think the original step motor had issues from the start in 2011 since we always had to hold the UP button on the switch to raise it. The new step motor allows you to press the switch’s UP button once and it will raise with the topper attached to the TV Lift frame (about 10-15 lbs).
Old 06-03-2023, 11:08 PM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We tightened the lift to TV bracket toady. I noticed it was pretty loose as the screw drive was raising/lowering it.
Disconnected all the wires. Loosened the 4 bolts and lifted the TV off the lift mechanism.
Tightened the bracket with an Allen key and put blue Locktite on the threads.
Lubricated the screw drive with PTFE and reassembled. Runs very smooth now.

BTW the documents for the TV lift is in the Lippert NOW app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV lift 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	14671   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV lift 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	14672   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV lift 3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	14673   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV lift 4.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	14674  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:59 AM   #9
randerson1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
We tightened the lift to TV bracket toady. I noticed it was pretty loose as the screw drive was raising/lowering it.
Disconnected all the wires. Loosened the 4 bolts and lifted the TV off the lift mechanism.
Tightened the bracket with an Allen key and put blue Locktite on the threads.
Lubricated the screw drive with PTFE and reassembled. Runs very smooth now.

BTW the documents for the TV lift is in the Lippert NOW app
Glad to hear yours was a bit easier to deal with. The screw drive for our tv lift was still well lubricated which made for one less action. The TV Lift documents on the LCI App are for a newer version of lift than ours and the assembly point at the Step Motor to include the Sleeve Nut are different. Even though Lippert may have stamped a model # on it, I’m sure the TV Ligt was put together using what was available by the RV manufacturer.