Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #41
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Could any of you just get the old type hinges and dump the friction ones? We went without them for 15-20 years, so I think we could all manage just fine.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 02:02 PM   #42
IRollman
Established Member

M.O.C. #22976
Oh I could, but in my case the damage to the door was already done.
IRollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:12 PM   #43
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
I have a needle oiler with an industrial high solvent/Graphite lube I used for industrial oven chains that seems to work best. But I have a 3in1 needle oiler that works well also. Any thin oil will work.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:24 PM   #44
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Smitty84, the tee nuts I used are bronze ones from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...7918/204281643

As part of troubleshooting a tilting/interfering door, be sure you doublecheck if your hinge screws that fasten the door are secure. Many on ours were stripped which I believe was the root cause of the door tilting. It allows the door edge to separate from the surround and hinge. The friction hinges just make it worse. So, I clamped the frame surround with a long bar clamp and replaced all the screws with #10 sheet metal screws. I also clamped the surround when I applied IRollman’s all thread repair.

I’ve added a pic of the sheet metal bracket on the hinge side of the door under the surround. This bracket is what the hinge screws, screw into. It’s pretty thin stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8096.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	14611  
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:30 AM   #45
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Look at all the BS we all had to endure to correct a known engineering/manufacturing defect. Lippert and the RV manufacturers have been ignoring this problem for years, and thumbing their noses at their customers. Although class action lawsuits yield little compensation for the victims, I would love to participate in one for no other reason than to hold the perpetrators accountable. Are there any enterprising attorneys out there interested?
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote