Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2023, 07:19 PM   #1
Sandy78

M.O.C. #31238
Made my slideout wireless control

Just wanted to share a project I’m really happy with. I have a Montana High Country 377 FL and have been frustrated with the bedroom slide because I can’t see it from the switch panel so I don’t know when I’m all the way out or in. I found a module from RV-Innovation that wired in easily and gives me Bluetooth control on my cell phone. Now I can stand right by the slide to run it so I can see exactly when it’s fully extended or retracted.

Sandy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 02:12 PM   #2
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
That sounds like an awesome enhancement! Please provide additional detail like make, model #, etc. A website link would be helpful, too. Thanks!
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 02:44 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the MOC and that's awesome
Can you share a link?
Old 05-19-2023, 02:46 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
It’s not a good idea to activate the slides unless you are inside watching it move. If something gets in the way, you won’t know it until something gets torn up.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 02:52 PM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFischers View Post
It’s not a good idea to activate the slides unless you are inside watching it move. If something gets in the way, you won’t know it until something gets torn up.
Thus the remote control
Old 05-19-2023, 08:43 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Have to agree with Mr. Fischer on this. The reason for the inside control is so you can open or close the slide part way and go and check to see if anything is interfering with the trim on the slide. You can still do this but I myself would not be standing outside and operate the slide mechanism without checking for interference within. I've known numerous Montana owners that have taken off doors, trim and even messed up flooring by not checking when opening or retracting their slides. Not a pretty situation. Just be VERY CAREFUL and use your phone but do it from the inside to make sure you have clearance.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:22 PM   #7
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
On our previous Mountaneer, the only time I set the unit up alone (wife was at a meeting) I didn’t notice the recliner had moved a bit in the rear. Went outside with my new remote to make sure I didn’t hit a nearby tree. Saw the slide hesitate then go out crooked. Inside, carnage. Broken recliner,, slide facade blew off. Took 2 days to fix everything. Even learned how to align a slide. Our next Montana 3402RLdoesn’t have a remote. Bottom line: hydraulics always win!
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:47 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I always use the remote control that came with my HC. I stand close to the slide and can see if something is in the way or something is going wrong.
Welcome to MOC.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:48 AM   #9
Sandy78

M.O.C. #31238
More info on remote

To answer earlier posted. Website is www.rv-intelligence.com and the product is smartRV controls.
Some good points from other posters about keeping an eye on things. Let me rest their minds that the whole reason I pursued and implemented this solution is that Keystone put the slide switch control panel in a place there is no way to see the position of the #2 slide on my trailer. MHC 377FL. So whether I monitor and control it from outside or inside the trailer with my cell phone remote, either is infinitely better than the factory arrangement where I can see nothing when the slide is moving. BTW, I have the Schwintek slides because High Country. The solution was easy to install and works great. Just hoping to help others that may have a device on their RV where remote control would be useful. As always, please use any remote control devices with appropriate care and common sense.
Sandy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:19 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have the Montana 375FL, which is the same floor model, except yours has the loft. Before I ever extend the bedroom slide on mine, I always go inside the back door (on the opposite side) and check the bed room out first. Then I have to go around to the front door on the "normal" side to reach the controls. My controls are right inside the door, on the cabinet above the stove top and adjacent the microwave. I can push the button for the bed room and stand at the door and watch it extend. It it is not possible to see what's happening inside the room while it's being extended. But I can watch it by standing at the door and looking outside. And I can hear the motor run and stop when fully extended. That's how I do it.

The remote would be nice though!

My order for extending and retracting is always, Living room (front) left then right, bedroom, then kitchen last. That's just the way I do it.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote