Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2018, 06:33 AM   #1
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
What caulk to use?

I want to remove all the caulking on the rig in my signature and reseal everything. But I'm not sure what type to use? I'm talking about the sides of the RV around end caps and around the cargo doors,and windows Also I want to caulk where the roof meets the sides. Should I just order tubes of Dicor? Or something else? Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
A bery high quality clear silicone for the painted surfaces, and I used a high quality white EPDM sealer where the roof meets the side. All the silicone the factory put there was falling off. You’re going to need heat or sunshine for it to dry properly though.

Mark
Old 12-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Some times, silicone will not stick to painted surfaces...thus the problem noted above. Much better solutions than silicone are Dicor 502LSW, Geocell 2300 or Geocell Proflex.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Thanks for the replies. So we recently had our hardest rain this year and I checked inside for leaks. I found a very slow drip, it was on the wall above the CLOSED bedroom slide. It's not going to be warm here for awhile, it will be in the 60's. Do you guys think I could use a heat gun in the suspected area? I actually think it's from the antenna and running over to the wall?